She believed the coin was real and was frustrated that she could not find anyone who would take her seriously. "@type": "FAQPage", } We've also rounded upthe most valuable error coins worth hundreds. At the same time, residents were feeling the economic pinch, so they hoarded specie coins (gold and silver), melting them for bullion. POP TIL YOU DROP WATER DOWN SAY GOODBYE SO LONG Six discontinued frozen foods from Trader Joe's you'll never see again 1943 Lincoln Steel Cent Penny Set PDS Mint WW2 Warhawk Fighter Plane World War. Some say the planchets got stuck in the machines in 1943 and accidentally dropped into bronze batches from 1944. The coin which Mr. Estes client brought in that received an MS61 must not have yet been added to NGCs population report. The 1964 D version of the Jefferson Nickel is worth on average $250.00 if in Mint State (uncirculated), while one in poor condition will have a value of just $0.05 . I have two lincoln pennies 1944 tryed magnet test did not stick one has copper look the another newer look can tell me more about these pennies. ): "mainEntity": [ This steel Walker is one of two known and is graded as MS-64. Walking Liberty half dollars. coinage., a coin which Heritage describes as having rarity and appeal that remain timeless. Believe it or not I was going through a lot of 350 wheat pennies. It was sold at the Heritage Platinum event held at the recent FUN show in Florida. We Searched And Found It To Be Valuable. 1944 pennies were made using the leftover steel sheets from 1943. So many 1964 Kennedy half dollars were made and saved the value is just for the silver, about $5.00 What is the value of a 1964 US cent with out a. Yes! ; The 1943 copper cent with approximately 20 to 40 made and some 12 known to exist today, this coin can command a price of around $150,000 to $200,000. And the four reverse designs from 2009 celebrated Lincolns bicentennial. How do I know if my 1943 steel penny is worth money? The S-marked penny comes from the San Francisco mint. Zinc, silver, tin, and nickel coins barely respond. If the coin has an error, or is certified this will further add to the appeal and raise it's price numismatically speaking. In MS67 it is one of the tougher dates from the 1960's especially from the Denver Mint. These coins recently sold for $325 and $1,801 respectively, but they bear no mintmark. Only a couple dozen pieces were made and exist today, and each is worth about $100,000. The views expressed may come from different individual authors and may not necessarily reflect those of the website or other organization. In Canada, a penny (minted 1858-2012) is a coin worth one cent, or 1 100 of a dollar.According to the Royal Canadian Mint, the official national term for the coin is the "one-cent piece", but in practice the terms penny and cent predominate. 1964 Lincoln penny Monster toned . A copy of the 1944 Lincoln Steel Penny MS64 was auctioned off in 2013 for a price of $158,625. 50 Pesos On Coin Gold 37.5 G. Oro Puro And Aztec Gold Calenda i came across a what i thought was just a token but after intensive research,it comes to be a 1785 bar cent,please advise me how to get it authenicated and graded.thanks kenneth. The 1964-D is common in circulated grades up to MS64. "name": " Why is the 1944 penny rare? The "D" mint mark on the coin indicates that it was minted in Denver. When it comes to evaluating 1943 Lincoln cents, the duo of a magnet and gram scale has broken many hearts and burst many bubbles over the years. Their steel counterparts are much more common. Next, use a magnet. I have a 1944 steel penny,that I got from my dad 25 years ago.who do I need to talk to about this? Top Rated seller. I've been collecting and/or studing U.S. coins since 1964 Author has 455 answers and 127.5K answer views 1 y They are silver in color. 1944 S Steel Pennies are the rarest of the bunch, with only 2 known copies. In 1943 steel was used to make pennies, instead of copper, because copper was needed for the U.S. war effort. Wed stick to graded options with clear provenance and be wary, especially if a deal seems too good to be true. Specifications Type: Lincoln Penny Year: 1964 Face Value: $0.01 Composition: 95% copper, 5% zinc Total Weight: 3.11 grams The US minted the 1964 penny with no mint mark and also the 1964 D penny. A 1964 D penny is worth between 2 USD and 5,000 USD. Also standard to these coins, the 1964 penny has a diameter of 19mm and a mass of 3.11 grams. It sounds like a case of po-tay-toh po-tah-tow, but there you go! 3 1878 Silver One Dollar. In 2021, a 1944 S Steel Penny sold for $108,000 in MS 64 while another sold for $408,000 in MS 66. A coin in average condition has an estimated value of at least $77,000. Typical examples in uncirculated condition usually realize $1 to $5. JBCOINSINC 200K views 3 years ago 5 modern Lincoln cents worth over $1,000 that can be found in pocket change! The penny was posthumously introduced to mark what would have been his 100th birthday. Click here to Learn How to use Coin Price Charts. The 9 was bigger than the other numbers on that issue. 1964 D Penny Value A total of 3,799,071,500 pennies carry the 1964 minting date. According to USA Coin Book, a steel penny from 1943 in circulated condition is worth between 16 cents and 53 cents. Free shipping for many products! THANK YOU A E Turgeon. Jaime Hernandez: The 1964-D is common in circulated grades up to MS64. "acceptedAnswer": { 1943 Jefferson Nickel struck on a steel cent planchet. Lets look at these silver-colored coins and find out what theyre worth today. Otherwise, non-error steel cents are not in themselves rare. }, 1909 S VDB Penny (Shop eBay) Lincoln Penny Errors (Shop eBay) Walking Liberty Half Dollar (Shop eBay). 1- 1943 penny and 1-1943-s penny. A copy in certified mint state (MS+) condition could be worth $110,000 at auction. An act of Congress in 1942 approved a provisional 35% silver composition for the nickel. Most 1943 steel Lincoln pennies arent worth much above their face value (one cent). Hi Kelli. } 1964 D Penny Errors Known 2- Close Stamped L-close A And M On America. Free shipping. Because of their relative rarity, 1944 P Steel pennies fetch a premium. "text": "To know if your 1944 penny is steel please find a magnet and test to find out if it is the valuable steel penny or not as steel will stick to the magnet." 2005 S. Gold One dollar Sacagawea by Littleton Coin Company. 1943 S minted uncirculated steel penny can be worth $16k but values are dropping. Back to home page Return to top. In 2014 an AU55 specimen was auctioned for $329,000. The coin was sold for $58,201.50 on January 4 to an online bidder. He has also authored numerous books, including works profiling the history of the United States Mint and United States coinage. Due to the vast sums they sell for, theres a not-insignificant black market, with several fakes and forgeries being sold at any time. Hi Judith. 1943 Bronze composition (looks brown or red but magnetic) $? Most 1944 Wheat Pennies are bronze (95% copper), but counterfeits might be coated with nickel or zinc to mimic steel. 2.) 3.) $12.95. Prior to the sale of this coin, the most recent sales (both by Heritage) of 1944-D steel cents were earlier in 2011. Wrong planchet errors are very rare and the odds are against it! Now covering; Cryptocurrencies, Precious Metals, and even World Coins. 2022 Coleccionistasdemonedas.com | Valuable Coin Collecting & Numismatic Magazine. $4,025 If you have one in an MS 68 rating, you can sell it for $3,500. And a Real brown Copper ? i have a 1944 d white steel wheat penny my father left a big lunch pale full of mexican coins u.s coins queen elizabeth coins that he would save before my father died. In 1943, almost 1.1B steel pennies were coined, but in 1944, less than 40 steel pennies were released from all three mints combined. Several shallow, almost parallel diagonal abrasions are visible only at certain angles to the light, while a narrow streak of gray paler than the rest of the coins medium-steel hue is visible on the photograph of the coin printed in the newspaper. During World War II, the Allied Forces needed many essential resources to help optimize success in the war. More to explore : This set is commonly sold in mass-market offerings. The mintage year appears above the mint mark. we have around 6,000 pennies. Most 1943 Lincoln pennies in worn grades (average condition) trade for around 10 cents to 25 cents apiece. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 1944 Steel Penny Value Guides (Rare Errors, D, S and No Mint Mark), 1972 Penny Value Guides (Rare Errors, D, S, and No Mint Mark), 1943 Copper Penny Value Guides (Rare Errors, D, S, and No Mint Mark), 1973 Penny Value Guides (Rare Errors, D, S and No Mint Mark), 1964 Penny Value Guides (Rare Errors, D, SMS and No Mint Mark), 2009 Penny Log Cabin Value (Rare Errors, D and No Mint Mark), 1971 Penny Value Guides (Rare Errors, D, S and No Mint Mark), 1981 Penny Value Guides (Rare Errors, S, D & No Mint Mark), 1988 Penny Value Guides (Rare Errors, D, S & No Mint Mark), 1980 Half Dollar Value (Rare Errors, D, S & P Mint Marks), 1944 Nickel Value (Rare Errors, D, S & P Mint Marks), 1971 Quarter Value (Rare Errors, D, S & No Mint Marks), 1911 Wheat Penny Value (Rare Errors, D, S & No Mint Marks), 1979 Nickel Value (Rare Errors, D, S & No Mint Marks). Original Price 20,000 It was the first coin manufactured in steel by the United States Mint. Another important quality is the date - only 1964 pennies can be part of this unique group. (Right now, the government loses money on every penny it issues. More than four million coins are said to have been minted by the Denver Colorado Mint in 1969. PCGS graded 3 unsold 1964 D Pennies in MS 67+ at $4,750. The woman shared additional information and documentation about the coin with Mr. Estes. 2023 DISCLAIMER: All content within CoinWeek.com is presented for informational purposes only, with no guarantee of accuracy. Latest Offers, Straight To Your Inbox. Here's How to Test Your Silver & Gold, Buffalo Nickel (19131938): Values & History, Mercury Dime (19161945): Values & History, Washington Quarters: Key Dates & Varieties. Is it such a error? First, there are great, rare coins that have yet to enter the market. On Back Right to Bear Arms with Cannon. Whether its an error penny, variety penny, or key date penny, the pennies worth money are often worth big money - and Im here to show you what to look for via a discussion of where the error or variety is on the coin and then close up pictures of it. But why were these odd coins made, what are they worth, and how does a hobbyist go about collecting 1943 steel cents? Below the year 1969 on the right hand side, it also features the letter "D", which means it was minted in Denver. 1959 Wheat Penny Value Guides (Rare Errors, D, and No Mint Mark), 1983 Penny Value Guides (Rare Errors, D, S and No Mint Mark). 1950 Lincoln Penny Value. Theyre official coins made with permission from Congress and were all coined in 1943 and 1944. ", 1962 P very rare Lincoln Monument penny. A 1964d penny can be worth from $2 to nearly $5,000. If the coin has an error, or is certified this will further add to the appeal and raise it's price numismatically speaking. "@type": "Answer", Broken down by each mint, the individual mintages are as follows: 1943 Philadelphia Mint cents 684,628,670. Also can i get it cross over from another company to weight it,because when i weighed it my self at home,it weighed 2.7 grams. ***Primary Source(s): http://varietyvista.com***Social Media Links (Website, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, More):https://linktree.com/treasuretownActive Affiliate Links - Purchase Items Through Them To Support Treasure Town:https://linktree.com/treasuretownaffiliatesLinks to Sources I Use (PCGS, Heritage, VV, eBay, More):https://linktree.com/treasuretownsources***All materials in these videos are used for educational purposes to inform and build community around coins, and fall within the guidelines of fair use. They differ in Suffix, Minor Variety, and Die Variety only. How much is a 1964 penny worth? The steel penny will be lighter in color (almost a silver type color) while the penny will be more bronze. Will you please contact me at the address listed with any information you have available. 1943 P D S Wheat Lincoln 3 Penny Set beautiful set see pics. Mint and a Rare S over S RPM Lincoln Error Cents a Big Set of all different Coins . 3 1943 S Steel Pennies from SHARK AUCTION. In its terms and conditions, eBay states that bidders enter a legally binding contract to purchase an item, but theres no way to enforce this rule. Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez is a journalist, editor, and blogger who has won multiple awards from the Numismatic Literary Guild. Free shipping. Last year the price for this same quality was no more than $2,000, it was $1,586.This value is normal if we take into account that PCGS only has 1 coin in superior quality, MS67+, and two copies in MS67.In MS66 graduation the variant has reached $780 during 2020. The steel cents were often confused with the dime, causing some folks to lose 9 cents (or more) in a cash transaction. From the years 1938 to 1964 the mint mark was on the reverse on the far right next to Monticello. "name": " How do I know if my 1944 penny is steel? Grading a 1943 Steel Penny Obviously, condition has a huge effect on the 1943 penny values. Listen to this post about the 1943 steel penny or keep reading below: The steel penny may seem like a random anomaly to some. Because copper was considered a strategic metal during World War II, there was an effort to find an alternative metal to produce pennies. didnt like to cary change in his pocket. And in our opinion, one of the best in terms of an ultra-low-cost investment. Welcome to the neighborhood! Both these coins were Wheat Pennies, so they had Lincoln on the front and two wheat sheaves at the back. 1943 D Lincoln Wheat Cent/ Penny ** ww2 steel war Cent * (#255985247490) See all feedback. In MS 66, one of these 1944 S Steel Pennies sold for over $370,000. 1955 D/D in Date Other Areas. Join us today for FREE! MORGAN .And 1 Copper Bill of Rights 1791. Best of luck finding one of these awesome 1964 pennies. Fewer than a dozen of either have been authenticated, though ten-thousands of forgeries exist of the 1943 bronze.. My email is [emailprotected] I would appreciate any help. There are few vintage coins as widely collected as the 1943 steel Lincoln penny. 1964 Lincoln Copper Penny With L in Liberty On Edge Error No Mint Mark (Rare) $400.00 Free shipping 1964 D Lincoln memorial penny with error on L in Liberty. I have a 1943 d steel wheat pennyit has a mark under the word liberty looks a 3 or & or an 8 . Captcha failed to load. Lets dig deeper to mine the precious secrets of 1944 Steel Penny Value. The most valuable coins are usually those with a low mintage or an error, as they're deemed the most valuable by collectors. Thus, 1944 steel cents are exceptionally scarce and command very high values. in the field on the left) the word Liberty and on the right, the date and mint mark are inscribed, Denver or San Francisco. I think they are steel how do i know what they are worth? His column for CoinWeek, The Coin Analyst, covers U.S. and world coins and precious metals. GeeChocVarietyShop. Zinc-coated steel is an unstable alloy, and many of the coins suffer from some form of damage or rusting. Ive done the magnet test and it passed the test. NGCs web site says it has graded one MS62, and one MS63. In MS 63, the highest recorded selling price was over $1.1M. It does stick to a magnet. Then they are sold via general-readership newspaper and magazine advertisements. Im fairly confident that if anyone has a 1943 silver coloured wheat penny thats magnetic, itll be the most common found thus worth 4-20 cents. "@type": "Question", 1943 D & P Steel Wheat Penny "War Time" 6 coin lot . If it sticks, you could be in luck. Generally speaking, the penny is known as the Lincoln Cent because it bears his image. The process happened on the planchet sheet the blank sheet that gets cut into discs for minting coins. A 1944 D Steel Penny in AU 53 sold for over $37,000. I just found a 1944d doesnt stick to magnet but weight is 3.00 what do I have? However, Heritage Auctions sells 1943 steel pennies in pristine, uncirculated condition for more than $1,000. NGCs Coin Explorer says that In 1943, with copper urgently needed for combat-related purposes, the Mint made Lincoln cents from zinc-coated steel. Has Wear And Signs Of Use. Take full advantage of our site features by enabling JavaScript. In 2008, this coin was sold for $373,750. At EF 40, the coin sells for just under $400,000, while an MS 60 could earn close to $750,000. The Official Red book: A Guide Book of United States Coins. Its dimensions devices and edges are similar to its siblings from other years. Last month,a rare 25 cent error coin sold for $599- and you could find a similar one in your spare change too. Transitional errors can happen when a coin's composition changes, but the old dies are used. Important redesigns and alterations were affected by Lincolns birthdays as well. According to Park Avenue Numismatics online Encyclopedia of U.S. coins , this effort resulted in the use of low-carbon steel coated with zinc, which quickly corroded; cents of this stuff were coined in 1943, and in 1944 some more accidentally coined on leftover steel banks, even as some 1943 cents had been coined on leftover 1942 bronze blanks. I got two wheat pennies. These pre-galvanized sheets were punched to make planchets, and the metal composition reduced the weight of these coins to 2.7g. A coin in average condition has an estimated value of at least $77,000. "@type": "Answer", They range substantially in grade and have sold for sums that vary from $7700 for an AU coin in 1996 to $115,000 for the finest quality example, an MS63 that sold at auction in 2007. Wasnt sure if there is any value., also I do have a 1944 w dime (super shiney compared to other coins) I believe there is an s on the other side to small for me to read, is there any value there? The coin is copper and features Abraham Lincoln on the obverse side and the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse side. Iron coins react strongly and will let the magnet lift the coin. Get the best deals on 1943 D Penny when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Start by weighing the coin. This instantly creates one of the most gorgeous, unique, and handsome rare coin in the galaxy. 123 sold. This theory suggests that when standard 1944 bronze coins were being coined, the handful of 1944 steel planchets that remained jammed in the minting machines got minted and mixed into regular bronze cents. But for the record, steel cents or zinc-coated pennies are not mint errors. Some of the technologies we use are necessary for critical functions like security and site integrity, account authentication, security and privacy preferences, internal site usage and maintenance data, and to make the site work correctly for browsing and transactions. He brought the coin to two dealers, who found no reason to doubt it, and from there it went to Walter Breen, the most prominent authenticator of the time, who pronounced it genuine.. COIN collectors could make a mint if they spot a rare penny in their wallet, with one coin recently selling for $2,010 on eBay. Therefore, the Lincoln cent and Jefferson nickel became prime targets for temporary but necessary metallic alterations. The diameter remained 19.05 mm and the portrait of Abraham Lincoln stayed the same. The PCGS certifying company has graduated only 3 pieces of 1943 Lincoln Steel Penny in MS68+ grade from Philadelphia, 2 pieces for Denver and 5 pieces for San Francisco. This metal composition was meant to continue until 1946. More than two billion of these bad boys were made, but the exact amount is unknown. A copy in certified mint state (MS+) condition could be worth $110,000 at auction. 1964-D 1964 D Lincoln Memorial Cent Copper Alloy Penny Mintage: 3,799,071,500 Minted at: Denver Designer - Engraver: Frank Gasparro Metal Composition: 95% Copper - 5% Tin and Zinc Diameter: 19 mm Mass / Weight: 3.11 grams What This Coin Looks Like (Obverse, Reverse, Mint Mark Location, Special Features, etc.