Q: Others use one word for internet-related terms. 7. Unfortunately, many brands forego style guides and choose to wing . Use a lettered list if you want to emphasize separate parallel items within a sentence. Bulleted lists. 'I hope this email finds you well:' Emailing During the Pandemic, Business Grammar: Pronoun Antecedent Errors, Use a period or other full stop after every bullet that is a sentence. Quickly convert your title or text to title case by simply clicking the Title Case button in the tool above. These are perfectly acceptable, and some style guides suggest writing lists like this. A: AP lowercases wine varietals such as cabernet sauvignon and chardonnay, and caps regional names such as Bordeaux, Sauternes and Chablis. AP style capitalization is mainly used by writers for the Associated Press but is also used widely throughout journalism. Considering those rules, these hyphenated words would all be correctly capitalized in titles: In the list above, up, in, on, off, and out are adverbs-not prepositions. A: AP lowercases those descriptive titles. A: Use Arabic figures to indicate decades of history: the 1920s, the '80s Figures, numerals, dimensions (7-year-old boy; three years ago; 1 percent; third grade; size 9; 6-by-8-foot rug; 5 ounces; 68,000-square-foot facility). Examples: House Cleaning Tips: Remove items from shelves before dusting. Some guiding principles behind AP style are: Consistency Clarity Accuracy Brevity AP style also aims to avoid stereotypes and unintentionally offensive language. The Gregg Reference Manual uses periods only after bullets that are dependent clauses and long phrases. Geography, addresses (state names, regions: Mideast; Northwest; northeast Minnesota; 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.; Fifth Avenue ). All style guides agree to capitalize the first letter of the bullet list unless you opt for the "vertical lists punctuated as a sentence" format using semicolons, illustrated above. A: AP Stylebook entry on "collective nouns" says band names take plural verbs. But if you are using a style guide, you may want to check it for guidance on which style to use. Include the dateline - BRYAN-COLLEGE STATION, Jan. 1, 2022; . Filed Under: Writing Tagged With: AP style, APA style, Chicago style, formatting, grammar, MLA style, punctuation. The capitalization chapter has new guidance on how to write about census divisions and geological formations. Q: Is clarity essentially the only rule determining when a serial comma should be included? 48 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<8DCDC806A06A984EB23F9AC6F5FBCE2C><8DCDC806A06A984EB23F9AC6F5FBCE2C>]/Index[28 32]/Info 27 0 R/Length 99/Prev 782230/Root 29 0 R/Size 60/Type/XRef/W[1 3 1]>>stream This is usually done when each list entry finishes an introductory phrase, as shown below: Subscribe to our newsletter and get writing tips from our editors straight to your inbox. A: AP lowercases civil rights movement. J%HfTH@zGI8a. If a sentence contains more than three items or ideas, we recommend breaking them up into a bulleted list. - Put a space between the dash or bullet and the first word of each item in the list. Semicolon Use in Lists A properly inserted semicolon helps to provide pause and clarifying separation in sentences. I the word Cocaine supposed to be capitalized? 1:28 PM - 14 Jul 2021 37 Retweets 189 Likes Example: In this project, the equipment shall consistof: RULE: Use periods after short phrases that are essential to the grammatical completeness of the statement introducing the list. Watch your title convert case and be automatically capitalized! In this tutorial, well explore guidelines for how to write vertical lists. Again, these will depend on the specific style you choose (see Title Capitalization Rules by Style section). Bullet point structure Don't mix and match sentence structures. Numbered and unnumbered lists are more commonly used in scholarly publications. Punctuation Below is a description of the ways you can use our case converter. Capitalize every word in the headline; the main subhead is a complete sentence with a period. Q: If we're speaking about regions of the state, should it be South Louisiana, North Louisiana and Central Louisiana? r%Q! This is why capitalization of items that make up a list of bullet points is sometimes a matter of style. However, in lists of bullet points, the beginning of a point is also indicated by space and the item marker (whether a bullet, a number, or a letter). The department prefers bullets, but punctuate them per AP style: After each bullet, capitalize the first letter and use periods at the end of each item. Were often asked whether you need a period at the end of each entry in a list. A colon adds emphasis, too. How to Create Bulleted Lists in Microsoft Word, How to Create and Modify Numbered Lists in Microsoft Word, How to Create Custom Bullets in Microsoft Word, Parallel StructureThe Secret to Beautiful Bullet Points. Infants will try to help others who seem like they need help with simple tasks, such as carrying multiple objects. That's . APA allows the use of bulleted lists with or without punctuation. Use a period after every bullet point that completes the introductory stem. The capitalization rules are as follows: Wikipedia editors must follow certain capitalization rules for any posts to Wikipedia. Bulleted lists are appropriate when presenting a list of items in no particular order. If you have a list of full sentences or a list with a mix of full sentences and fragments we suggest capitalizing the first letter in each item. Dont use a period at the end of a bullet if the bullet lists are one word or a short phrase that feels like an inventory or shopping list. Title case is also commonly used for book titles, movies titles, song names, plays, and other works. Your email address will not be published. The CMS is commonly used in the publishing sphere, and AP style is more press-oriented . These include short words and conjunctions: The other major type of title capitalization standard is sentence case. . AP Stylebook: Use periods after bullets. Sixth and Seventh streets). It is the indispensable reference for writers, editors, proofreaders, indexers, copywriters, designers, and publishers, informing the editorial canon with sound, definitive advice. Does this help? Sentence case simply means you capitalize the first letter of a sentence, proper nouns, and nothing else as opposed to capitalizing almost every first letter in title case. 4.24.14 AP style rules on state abbreviations updated. 6. In a simple series, AP doesn't use a comma before the last item. Get an email every time a new blog post is published. This guidance has been expanded from the 6th edition. Lowercase the second word in a hyphenated compound when it is a prefix or suffix (e.g., Anti-itch,world-wide) or part of a single word. The equivalent resource for the older APA 6 style . A: In this instance, use a plural verb. Q: Should diseases also known by acronyms such as PTSD be capitalized? You can quickly convert your text or title to all caps by selecting the UPPER button on the tool. Do not capitalize articles, prepositions (regardless of length), and coordinating conjunctions. Unordered lists occasionally appear without bullets.8 However, strongly consider using bullets whenever possible because bullet-less list items can be difficult to identify on mobile devices with responsive text layouts. Now we have bullets. A: Always use figures for people, animals and objects: 3-year-old house. Microsoft and Gregg would capitalize flat and sharp if they appeared in a title (unlike Rule 2). I like bananas. My name is Erin. Numbered Lists and Bullet Lists: Why and How? 6. Did you know that before the introduction of word processing (via word processors and computers), most publications displayed lists in either outline form or numbered lists. Subscribe to the My Blog Editor blog for the latest TIPS on improving the QUALITY of your business content. AP has a few punctuation rules that differ from many common style guides: Do not use a comma before the last item in a simple series ("My favorite candy includes Snickers, Twix and Zagnut bars."). The Copyeditors Handbook (Einsohn). hb```"3VTa`0p4 )x3JH2HgQW(Iz8Nul i@fP!40XE&,0e0v`do`6c $X1)`U&y[#b s .6[ Thanks for the catch! You have multiple options to capitalize and change the case of your titles, headlines, song titles, book titles, email subjects, and more. The Chicago Manual of Style. Learn how your comment data is processed. Take a digital photo of a family member. The phrase "she has decided" warns the reader that the next . Capitalize nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs (including phrasal verbs such as "play with"), adverbs, and subordinate conjunctions. The listing below reflects a few departures from Associated Press (AP) style typically used in Johns Hopkins' web and print text, as well as other style points that, while they are not departures from AP style, require special attention. The book club members made a list of their favorite genres: Individual list items following a complete sentence that are themselves complete sentences are each punctuated with a period.4. You should always use a colon before a bulleted or numbered list. Next, identify a newsworthy angle and set up your press release's header section. If you left caps lock on accidentally, you can quickly convert your title from uppercase to lowercase by selecting the lower button above. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Erin Wright with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 22 December, 2021. AP Stylebook Online builds on everything that's in the print Stylebook, and makes it a more comprehensive, convenient resource. Capitalization looks fancy and makes things seem important. That includes newspaper names and magazine references. hbbd```b``"A$dH\8'$XM7"$c[D& j@H2w 2+: Use sentence case capitalization Use sentence case capitalization for most content, including page titles, headings, subheadings, buttons, and text links, unless a word is a proper noun. However, most people now leave out the extra punctuation. 7. Its all about readability. While the APs guidelines on this issue are straightforward and easy to remember, they are designed for news publications dealing with limited space and the technical limitations of news wire transmissions. Inconsistent punctuation; Sometimes the grammar isn't parallel between items. Lowercase to in the infinitive (though not defined in the stylebook). - Use periods, not semicolons, at the end of each section. AP style provides consistent guidelines for such publications in terms of grammar, spelling, punctuation and language usage. Use either all full sentences in your bullet lists or all fragments. In AP style, headlines capitalize the first word, proper names, or proper abbreviations, verbs, pronouns, adjectives, and adverbs. Navigating the not-so-hidden treasures of the APA Style website. Titles. Sorry to pile on here, but your discussion of verb endings is inadequate. In sentence case, only the first word and all proper nouns are capitalized, as shown in the following example: One more day of extreme heat for East Coast Bulleted Lists: APA uses bulleted lists to avoid the perception of importance/priority connotated in numbered lists. Alternatively, you can use our tool to convert text from lowercase to uppercase by clicking the UPPER button. Example 1: As with so many things in the English language, capitalization with colons can be complex, and many times, it's more of a style issue than one of correctness. July 31, 2019. A colon should be used to introduce the list, and the first letter of each point should be capitalised. Use proper punctuation for bulleted sections. Youre singing my tune! The default rule is to lowercase words unless theres a reason they should be uppercase. Your subscription includes the . Punctuating every introduction with a colon and every list item with a period regardless of other structural issues (such as complete versus incomplete introductory sentences and list-item formatting) could potentially decrease flow and readability. 205-921-5556. label all file pages (and the disk itself) with your designatedcode. I like apples. AP follows two broad rules for capitalization: Common names are not capitalized unless part of a proper name (the river vs. the Thames River). Q: My AP Stylebook always lists examples in italics, so it's difficult to see if italics are part of the style. A: A partial spelling with hyphens in place of some letters would convey the meaning. Note however that it is not wrong to capitalize a sentence or clause after a colon. I am a technical writer and editor who shares writing-related software tutorials on this website and on YouTube. If nothing else, your writing will be consistent. All rights reserved. document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a4470ef17940e51381fb55e5e7bde6b6" );document.getElementById("j6a5d70196").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Sign up to receive the latest articles from Ragan.com directly in your inbox. The idea is that the list reads like a single sentence, with semicolons separating each point, a conjunction just before the final entry, and a period at the end. Quickly convert your title or text to sentence case by simply clicking the Sentence case button in the tool above. Unsubscribe at any time. Some style manuals, such as the AP Stylebook and APA Publication Manual, recommend capitalizing an independent clause after a colon. Capitalization, Case Internet The word internet is all lowercase (unless, of course, it starts a sentence or comes after a bullet) . Bullets normally preface unordered list items.7. Another easy decision. See the "legislative titles" entry for rulings. Should the opening stem sentence end with a colon to introduce the bullet lists or use no colon? Let me frame my recommendations. The Gregg Reference Manual(Sabin). There are two options for the punctuation of bulleted lists when the items are words or phrases. Bullets Associated Press style is to use dashes, not bullets, for lists that follow a colon. The Associated Press Stylebook says when writing lists "use periods, not semicolons, at the end of each section, whether it is a full sentence or a phrase.". Q: How about using e- as a prefix for new terms in the tech and business worlds? I was a fan until I realized it wasn't AP Style, all hail AP Style Honorable mention a.m. and p.m. - That's how they're used. (After reading this) .. Because AP recommends the colon and AP is the preferred business writing style guide, I recommend using it consistently in your business writing. endstream endobj 29 0 obj <> endobj 30 0 obj <>/Border[0 0 0]/Rect[603 407.25 648 420.75]/Subtype/Link/Type/Annot>><>/Border[0 0 0]/Rect[270.75 387.75 315.75 401.25]/Subtype/Link/Type/Annot>><>/Border[0 0 0]/Rect[281.25 368.25 318.75 381.75]/Subtype/Link/Type/Annot>>]/Contents[34 0 R 35 0 R 36 0 R 37 0 R 38 0 R 39 0 R 41 0 R 42 0 R]/CropBox[0 0 792 612]/MediaBox[0 0 792 612]/Parent 26 0 R/Resources<>/Font<>/ProcSets[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI]/XObject<>>>/Rotate 0/Type/Page>> endobj 31 0 obj <>stream Use lowercase at all . The capitalization rules are as follows: Bluebook style capitalization is mainly used by lawyers. Capitalization is a style choicewith sentence fragments, you can choose to start each with either upper- or lower-case letters. Again, style guides dont agree.]. Q: There seem to be differing opinions on whether or not to capitalize the names of grapes used to make wine. They look good. We have three punctuation issues to consider: Should the ending punctuation at the end of each bullet list be a period, a semicolon, or no punctuation? Your points should be consistent, either all sentences or all fragments. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); You can also upload a document to get an instant quote. This will uncapitalize your text. In the example above, the first two list items end with a semicolon because the second list item has internal commas. You can also use a colon after a partial sentence. A list of information can be neatly organised using bullet points. A: In a simple series, AP doesn't use a comma before the last item. When multiple letters in a title need to be capitalized, use title case capitalization. To illustrate the example, youd sayI voted on election day because I want my candidate to win. I voted on election day because I like to exercise my right to vote. I voted on election day because I believe every vote counts.. A: As a descriptive term, doctorate in psychology is lowercase. If numbers arent essential, use bullets, especially in business documents. Bullets Associated Press style is to use dashes, not bullets, for lists that follow a colon. How about AP? A: 2-5 p.m. is preferred. To help, weve prepared a guide to punctuating and capitalizing bullet points. A: AP style is email (changed from e-mail), but other e- words are hyphenated: e-commerce and e-book. So many choices to make! However, in regard to headlines, is it now true that press release headlines should be in sentence case? Bonus: We have some great shortcuts to make your life easier. Don't use the Oxford comma in a simple series before the conjunction. The first word after a colon unless it begins an independent clause. Thanks! Now check your email to confirm your subscription for My Blog Editor blog alerts. Bulleted lists. The bullets indicate that I like apples, bananas, and oranges equally. Over 1.5 million copies sold! Capitalization Begin each item in a list with a capital letter unless there's a reason not to (for example, it's a command that's always lowercase). Awesome sauce! This is another case where there are no hard rules! A: AP doesn't use italics in news stories. If you want to, you can press Enter on your keyboard or click the Copy button next to the text box to copy the text to your clipboard. Example: You will need to present the following information: Your driver's license. The rule of thumb in AP style is that things should be lowercased unless a rule indicates that theyre upper. Whether youre writing an essay, email, or cover letter, youll likely use parentheses. The stylebook uses italics for examples only. For example, here is a summary of the instructions to write a standard 5 paragraph essay. Semicolons Use in Lists: Items with Internal Punctuation If all else fails, when it comes to accepting AP style: Just do it. x]0)} N "d/J]g<3gcyY?9Y\}xLgH*vVQ8e[!}mg%O*~OqoEhe9k=~o^p{?~7?ZOu6ImR)Gow=\JrP Bullet points. Published: November 13, 2012 Updated: August 22, 2020. Use periods, not semicolons, at the end of each section or a phrase." This is clear, but AP doesn't fully address when to omit a period at the end of each bullet. However, clear bullet list punctuation adds visual scan-ability to your business writing. A: "don't ask, don't tell" policy. In APA 7, you have two options for punctuating bulleted phrases: to include no punctuation after each list item and after the last list item or to include commas or semicolons, as appropriate, after each list item and final punctuation at the end of the list. Capitalize My Title requires JavaScript to be enabled in order to run. Important Note: If you follow The Associated Press Stylebook (AP style), see the Style Guide Alert at the bottom of this post for clarification on AP styles recommendations for unordered lists, which differ from the general guidelines explained below. Q: Should the names of decades be capitalized when written out? While the above words are generally capitalized in titles regardless of style, there are some words that are generally not capitalized when using title case. See APA 7, Section 6.52 for examples and more information. AP and Chicago Manual of Style - capitalize initial word and use periods after sentence list items. Why wouldnt you want to add a list to your work? If bulleted items are complete sentences, begin each item with a capital letter and finish it with a period or other appropriate punctuation. Individual list items following a complete sentence are usually capitalized but appear without terminal punctuation (i.e., they dont end in a period, comma, colon, or semicolon) if they are incomplete sentences, phrases, or single words.3. Q: How does AP treat programming language when used in general text? - Capitalize the first word following the dash or bullet. This is a grammar guide that accompanies our post on how to write better bullet points. Very helpful stuff! Home Style and Grammar Guidelines Lists Lists Just as heading structure alerts readers to the order of ideas in a paper, lists help readers understand a related set of key points within a sentence or paragraph. There was an error submitting your subscription. Bulleted lists: Capitalize the first letter after the bullet. This is a tricky one for me because, personally, I agree with you. For more AP style tips, watch Grammar Girls Beginning and Intermediate Guide to AP Style any time. Numbered lists may appear with or without the period after the number. Erin Wright, 20122023. If the elements are complex, uses commas for all. The MLA's guidelines for styling vertical lists are derived from The Chicago Manual of Style (6.127-132). EPA follows the AP rule after the dash or bullet: capitalize the first letter and use periods at the end of each section. 2-5 p.m.) and when to use the word "to"? Stay with us.". A: AP uses hyphenated e- for generic terms such as e-commerce and e-strategies. Problem solved. Also, please note that ads, brochures and legal contracts may require some deviation from these guidelines. Use numbered lists when youre working with instructions to be done in sequence, and the numbers suggest ahierarchy. AP uses dashes, not bullets, for lists in news stories that follow a colon. To draw visual attention to items in a list without implying that items go in a certain order (e.g., chronology, importance, priority), use a bulleted list. Topics: Writer's Passport, Writing & Editing. According to APA Style, the first word after the colon is capitalized only if it begins a complete sentence. When to Use a Colon With Capitalization: The puppy left a trail of destroyed items in his wake: shredded papers, mangled stuffed animals and what looked like the remains of a shoe. Capitalize the first word following the dash or bullet. The department prefers bullets, but punctuate them per AP style: After each bullet, capitalize the first letter and use periods at the end of each item. Thanks for the tips. hn7_@os@`v6Y8m.sSWloK6]G\#4:RsJ.Sv1b0',K4;mgbj\l~}7N|7W}v0qp}_n]QQL~yNy?NQ2*yZ_p@PnCx'q%6\zr0nqfopzpyb"uGh7? Bulleted lists help make information more scannable and easier to understand. Ordered vertical lists have, you guessed it, an order. Use a numbered list if you want to display items in a numbered series. So nice to hear the positive feedback! Common Style Guidelines Not using a colon isnt wrong, but omit it only with certainty that you comply with the style guide of your choice. Asthma or some allergies. 10. Whether using bullets or numbers, vertical lists can be tricky.