If you have a small piece of property and want a pig that the neighbors will find less objectionable, the Kunekune may be a good choice. 2 months - 4 months ~ 1/2 cup twice a day. Kunekune pigs have very short legs, short snouts paired with their body gives the Kunekune a natural round body shape and may have two wattles under its chin. But we will be back! The weather was brilliant and even when the heavens opened later in the evening, everything was in hand. animals are adorable.. especially Fiona & Felix! Do I regret getting them? It is great for couples, families and party's. I couldn't recommend them enough. It's also important to maintain their hooves regularly. Kunekune Pigs Frequently Asked Questions - Dale House Farm We would definitely look into returning in the future (if you will have us back )! Katrina and Steve went above and beyond what we would expect from venue owners. Breeders might try to label them as mini pigs . They love having a fuss made of them and will lie for hours while you rub their tummies. The scavenger hunt was great fun and suitable for all ages, our youngest was 3 and she loved running around the countryside collecting the 'blue diamonds' Our Kunekune's are a much . When you have removed the piglets, reduce the sows feed ration to keep her from getting overly fat. very welcome, and she checked in each day to ensure all was well without us feeling as though we were being checked up on. A sow will be receptive to the boar for 8 to 48 hours. Thank you soooo much x, Amazing place and home from home with katrina and amazing hospitality, Amazing yet again. 10 Essential Caring Tips for Pigs in Winter, 8 Practical Tips on Housing Pigs and Keeping Them Healthy & Happy. Wow! Overall, a brilliant stay. Kunekune pigs are little. The 8 Essential Guinea Pig Supplies of 2023, 8 Facts About Teacup Pigs That Aren't So Cute. We were made to feel so, welcome. And the bottom strand is eye level when the pig is sniffing or rooting the ground. Some dig a lot. Remember to never raise just one Kunekune or other pig. Thank you so much! Though I find them to be quite unsightly and prefer them without wattles. Feeding your Kunekune Pig - Halbert Farm We camped but the yurts looked spacious and comfortable. As far as pigs go, Kunekune are easy on fences. These pigs have a short cute-as-can-be snout, which is why they don't prefer rooting. Although both breeds are true grazing pigs, the piglets mature at much different rates. Should You Keep a Kunekune Pig as a Pet? - The Spruce Pets Very welcoming and looked after us locals. Official Website: https://keeneye123.wixsite.com/falconefamilyfarm. Will definitely be returning! If your pigs will not have access to the outdoors, you should provide 50 to 80 square feet per pig in the barn. Feed the animals, and let them deposit top soil, then rotate them as necessary. I have girls that lay . Mr & Mrs B were great hosts, so friendly and, helpful. Fortunately, they came back]. 44 would be adequate for all stages, except the first month or so of life, when the piglets are still very small. The most AMAZING place ever. loved every minute of our stay - lovely lovely lovely people Mr & Mrs B and family. Organised by myself, the whole process, (which started nearly a year ago) was dealt with by the very patient and accommodating Mrs B. A pen size of 8 by 16 is good for 2 pigs and allows room to move around. They're sweet-natured, smart, and docile and come in a variety of colors, including black, white, red, gold, brown, and tricolored. Since kunekune can grow to be up to 200 pounds, they need a decent amount of space to roam about and lie down. Kunekune pigs need shade in the hot parts of the year. She is trained as a Fear Free Certified Professional to prevent and alleviate fear, anxiety, and stress in pets. Description of the Kune Kune. (The Polynesian work 'kunekune' simply means 'plump'.) These pigs are highly intelligent and incredibly social. Very knowledgable of the area and things/places to do/go. Miniature Pig. Just returned from a fabulous weekend in Nanny Iris at Barnutopia! I can't recommend this place enough. 30 Nuggets of Information About Kunekune Pigs - Barnutopia If your breeder says it has miniature pigs, you should ask for proof. Katrina was. Just like some goats do. Check it out! Go, you won't be disappointed! They thrive on human interaction (including children) and will love spending time with their owners throughout the day relaxing and playing. Many times the chops and pork steaks resemble beef more than pork. Keep track of your sows estimated farrowing day and put her in a safe area about a week before she is due to give birth. Thanks guys! Originating from New Zealand, they have a very mellow and laid-back temperament. Why we've stuck with kunekune pigs - Fox Holler Farmstead Productive Years For A Pig: Sows can continue to breed up until roughly 4-6 years of age, while boars may be done by 3-4 years of age due to weight. When compared to commercial pigs, they don't need as much protein, so it is quite common to grass feed them with the combination of other vitamins and minerals they need. Some homesteaders use it for making soap. you so so so much Katrina and Steve; you went above and beyond to help us with every detail and made sure our guests were very well fed with a yummy afternoon tea and bbq! The nicest and most, welcoming people you could ever wish for! Under Applied Filters toward the top left of this page, click Breed. At first that sounds like an awful idea for a former pig farmer. Cost of a KuneKune ranges from $800-$1,600, and an average litter is about eight piglets. We made full use of the Party barn and facilities, including Pizzas, cooked breakfasts and pancakes and we had a huge BBQ on the Sunday where no one went hungry Some guests tell us they come only to meet our piggies. Because they root less, Kunekunes are not as hard on fields and fences as other breeds. They can pretty easily do up to 2 litters per year. Birth To Butcher: Kunekunes are slower growing pigs and can take anywhere from 12-18 months before they are ready to process. And of course, they will enjoy wallowing in mud which helps keep them cool. This, family run buisness is so inviting and nestled in a gorgeous part of the country, Treat yourself . Absolutely fantastic place. Had the whole site for the weekend. The average weight of a kunekune pig differs in both female and male pigs. This means that they require smaller pens and shelters than some other breeds. What an amazing experience, thank you to the staff for a great family day out. The views, the yurts and your hospitality are. Her farrowing pen should be dry and warm. Our daughter really enjoyed feeding the pigs and playing hide and seek on the beautiful grounds that are on offer. A smaller slower growing pig would be able to be handled by my 3 year old longer (he is quite a mature little 3 year old almost 4 year old little farmer ;). How much do KuneKune piglets cost? Learn why do pigs like mud. Theyre quite trainable and get to know routines and people. most friendly people ive ever met. This book contains everything you could need to know. We can't thank you enough! We also took full advantage of the glorious weather that Mrs B obviously booked for us too . They are GRASS FED pork if you want to process them. There was loads of space, lovely furniture, and our alarm clock was the sound of the lambs outside. For now, feel free to continue reading. X, Absolutely fantastic time. Hay, straw, and pine wood chips (not cedar) are your best options. Piglets 2-4 months - 1 lb (2 cups) per day . Thank you Steve and Katrina for welcoming my son and I into your home. They are friendly, calm, and curious. Animals that kids will love horses pigs dogs. Our friends hired the whole site for the weekend for a birthday festival. A minimum shelter size for 2 pigs would be roughly 4 feet by 6 feet. Do this until piglets are about 5 days old and can move around a bit better. Breeding Age: Kunes reach sexual maturity at about 8 months of age. Can I say as a seasoned camper how lovely it was to Glamp for a change (we did pitch a our tent this time) and to use all the facilities that were offered with it. Especially if youre after registered stock. Buy at least two Kunekune pigs, so they will be happier and better behaved. 6 months - 8 months ~ 1 cup twice a day. When it comes to kunekune pigs, having enough room to roam is typically ample enough exercise for them. Weve just gotten back from our vow renewal at Barnutopia, even after a long wait due to, covid and the rain we had an amazing time. Absolutely love this place, came last year for the Hubby's birthday, and have come back now, for a long weekend to, start the Easter hols off..Katrina, Steve and family make you so welcome, lovely family! My husband Paul and I chose Barnutopia as our wedding venue, taking place last weekend. From our first visit to Barnutopia we knew it was where we wanted to have our wedding. weekend and had an amazing time. Lovely relaxed atmosphere, in amazing rural setting, absolutely beautiful! They can get along with other animals after a suitable introduction. Registering / Purchasing registered pigs ensures that your pigs are 100% Kunes. We came back having done so many new things together, and having an extended sleepover in the magical yurt was very special, especially as I got my own bed and it was warm even when there was a hard frost overnight. The Benefits and Considerations, How to Process a Pig and Fill Up Your Freezer in 6 Simple Steps, The Advantages of Using AI Breeding for Pigs, How to Start Raising Feeder Pigs Sustainably with Low Budget, 6 Practical Tips When Buying Piglets: Everything to Consider Beforehand, Should You Feed Pigs Table Scraps? Breeding problem with Kunekune - Goats, Horses, Sheep, Pigs & more Another thing to remember is that these pigs are very social critters. What you're looking at in the photo above is the clitoral hood of a gilt, that is to say a female pig who has not yet had a litter. And there you have it. Kunekune pigs are usually grass-fed, or they eat pig feed; this should be their primary source of nutrients, but they can also eat vegetables, meat, and fruits. They do root a bit, but mostly they graze. They serve no purpose other than aesthetics. barn. Kunekune pigs are smart and loving creatures, and they can make great pets as long as you're able to provide them with the proper needs and environment. In addition, Kunekune pigs are grazing pigs and need less grain to grow to market weight. Wallows are easy to make - the pigs do all the work. They can get about 4 feet (1.2 meters long) and weigh about 130 - 220 lbs (60 to 100 Kg), with the males weighing considerably heavier than females. Jungle Meat Pigs - $150 (Chico) Jungle Meat pigs. Campfires each night, watched tv in the barn, perfect facilities. Katrina and all the family made us all feel welcome and were, there from the start to offer advice and support , The most amazing people ever and help you to make the most incredible memories and wedding , I spent a couple of days at Barnutopia, but could happily of stayed for much longer. American Guinea Hog: Is This Small & Calm Breed Right For My Farm? My daughter and I had a fantastic time First time glamping and we had the best time from start to finish was sad to, leave food was great and we was so well looked after and made to feel welcome massive thank you to the Barnutopia team hopefully be back again next year. Shelter and Space Requirements: Nothing fancy is needed . I cannot wait to plan our next trip!!! NYE everyone was so friendly. (Dave needs roller skates for this, bless him!!) What is a Kunekune Pig? - Pets Kunekune pigs may not be as popular as pot-bellied pigs, but more and more people are getting them for pets. years eve here fireworks drinks and the food is amazing. We hope to come back soon. So many options and packages to choose from, she was more than accommodating to our needs. Fact: Things can be poisonous to pigs just like any other animal. , Have just got back from an amazing hen weekend at Barnutopia. Kunekune pigs are pregnant on average for about 116 days. It will take them about 2 years to reach slaughter weight. Food is delicious, Mr & Mrs B are wonderful hosts, the. Brilliant place, loved every minute, can't wait to return! Pages: [1] Author Topic: kune kune with attitude (Read 4780 times) kelly58. The kitchen areas are really well equipped (including the table football table our boys loved). Double that amount for winter feeding with access to plenty of hay. But thats just my opinion. Kune FAQ Empire Kunekune Pig Association The average price for a Kunekune pig is around $600 to $1400 to buy from a breeder. Kunekune swine will need shelter in winter weather. This still provides some bedding but also makes it easier for the piglets to maneuver out of moms way and not get crushed. All males. Real homily feel and a great space for any function. For indoor pigs, having a barn free of drafts will help the pigs stay healthy and warm. He tried to bite me 4 times. You and Steve went above and, beyond and everything just totally and utterly exceeded our expectations. Scavenger hunt was so much fun. Kunekune | Homesteading Forum We also went on the scavenger hunt which conveniently went past the local pub and then made use of the party barn with its sound system and disco ball in the evening! Its not worth it and the welds tend to come loose. Nothing was too much for them. Other places allow pigs up to a certain size to be kept as pets, as long as they are kept on a leash or in an enclosed area outdoors. KuneKune Pigs are a rare, heritage breed of grazing pigs that are extremely unique in their temperament, friendliness, size and characteristics. Thanks Katrina you were fab!! "But if a high-quality pasture is not available, whether it be due to drought or just not enough grass to feed a hungry adult pig, pot-bellied pig pellets and grass pellets can be used to supplement the diet." . Theres no way to know how many of them youll get in a litter, regardless of what the parents have. Backyard Chickens | Livestock | Homesteading | Gardening. Excellent venue and even better people, Katrina, Steve & family all went out of their way to help and check everything was running smoothly throughout our stay. Here's a summary of my findings: Kunekune are the smallest breed of pigs. It is not common in pigs over 2-3 months of age. Thank you for looking after me with the gluten free. Fresh milk can help satisfy any nutritional gaps and protein needs in your pigs. We also liked the freedom to bring in our own touches to everything, including decorations, caterers and alcohol. Therefore, fighting occurs especially during mixing of unfamiliar animals. Kunekune Pigs: Perfect for Small Farms | EcoFarming Daily Recommended reading, Small scale outdoor pig breeding by Wendy Scudamore (past chairman of the BKKPS.) It could only enhance the yurt glamping experience. We look forward to our next visit when bump arrives and can't wait to see all the new things you've done. Having never stayed in a yurt before, we weren't entirely sure what to expect, but the stay was amazing! There is no rhyme or reason as to why some of this breed have wattles and others dont. Farrowing huts should be roughly 7.5 by 5 feet. For example, when feed is limited, this will be first accessed by dominant pigs and followed . It is especially plentiful in areas that have been used for horses. Whats Too Cold: Under 20F and you will want to ensure that your pigs have adequate shelter. The sow's milk is a complete food for the piglets except for it lacks iron. What is the smallest pig breed? - The Biggest Beautiful spot, great views, and sundowner! Myself, my husband and every single one of our guests commented on how amazing the whole experience was. Kunekune pigs are pregnant on average for about 116 days. I'm super allergic to life, so she even pestered her laundry to find out what sort of washing powder they used, and washed bedding separately for me, so that I didn't have to bring my own! It has a large head and elongated snout with a round disc-like nose. What Do Kunekune Pigs Eat - Katynel