"He bulldozed the envelope.". Jeff Dickerson, a longtime Chicago Bears reporter for ESPN - Yahoo! We got there mid-first quarter, and we just kind of walked up to the sidelines, and one by one, the kids start comin' over to him. This is an aggressive type of cancer that is usually undetectable until it is very advanced," she writes. The cause of death was not immediately . NFL commissioner Roger Goodell honored Clayton as a "wonderful person" who "earned my tremendous respect and admiration as a journalist. Prior, he covered the Pittsburgh Steelers for the Pittsburgh Press and the Seattle Seahawks for the Tacoma News Tribune. ", She says that the clarity "has helped me knowing that his passing was inevitable, and Im at least grateful he didnt have to go through the painful treatment and drawn out process of battling the disease," jokingly noting, "He wouldnt have wanted to go out like that. Clayton, a native of Braddock, Pennsylvania, began his career in 1972 as a teenager covering the Pittsburgh Steelers in a season that included the "Immaculate Reception.'' Bill Shields, the longtime WBZ-TV reporter who graced New England viewers' screens for decades, died Saturday morning at age 70 following a years-long battle with cancer, the TV station confirmed. He had first gone to the emergency room three weeks earlier for flu-like symptoms and tweeted on Dec. 4 about having pneumonia. It was the Wild West of sports coverage. NBA and Men's College Basketball Analyst. Unfortunately, their enjoyable afternoon turned deadly in a matter of seconds. She was 93. Four former PetSmart employees are being charged in connection with the death of a CBS Sports reporter's dog that was allegedly strangled during a grooming visit in November. is that GOD? When Tom Mees arrived at ESPN, there wasnt a template. Clayton began working at ESPN in 1995 covering the NFL. Celebrity Deaths in Journalism - Tributes.com Longtime ESPN anchor Stuart Scott dies at 49, Morant to miss two games after video with gun, Las Vegas prepared to give A's 'better opportunity', Richardson sets QB mark for vertical, broad jump, Curry, Iguodala probable to return vs. Lakers, Sources: Suns hiring Pistons' Bartelstein as CEO, Mbappe breaks PSG's all-time scoring record, Bruins stroll past Kane, Rangers, win 10th in row, Horns' Robinson: Versatility worthy of early pick, UFC 285 live results and analysis: Jon Jones vs. Ciryl Gane, The future of the NFL combine: Is there really a chance it could end forever? He was 44. What will the Buffalo Bills do without defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier? Aschoff died Dec. 24 on his 34th birthday. "He was so tired. God bless whoever it was who thought to rearrange the bedding at ESPN. A former Detroit news anchor died just one day after receiving the COVID-19 vaccine, according to reports. Oh what a trail they blazed. But they are only one aspect of his legacy. That wasn't the Stuart Scott that I worked with for so many years. In announcing the findings of a post-mortem lung biopsy, fiancee Katy Berteau said Wednesday: He would have wanted everyone to know that something way bigger than pneumonia took him down., Both pneumonia and non-Hodgkin lymphoma can trigger HLH in the body, and that is seemingly what happened with Edward, she said. He moved to Los Angeles in 2017 to begin a more expanded national role that included television coverage. Stuart Scott, a longtime anchor at ESPN, died Sunday morning at the age of 49. "He literally never said no to a show that asked him to come on -- from 6 a.m. to midnight, if you asked for the Professor, he was there for you. Unbeknownst to us, Edward had stage 4, non-Hodgkins lymphoma in his lungs. Here in our daily news section, we say goodbye to those headline names known across the nation. "That's what I love about him," says Kolber. ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz confirmed Durrett's death Tuesday night, but said . Aschoff, who covered college . Dickerson died Tuesday at age 44. ESPN reporter Edward Aschoff died Tuesday on his 34th birthday, just months before he was to be married. Lokulo-Sodipe, 67, was said to have slumped in his office while preparing to attend a court session on . He had a spirit and energy, and, dare I say, a sense of purity in his love of sports and his delivering of the evenings news through the TV to his fellow sports fans that all of us envy to this day. Bonnie Bernstein: 1995-1998, 2006-present ( SportsCenter correspondent, Wednesday Night Baseball, College Football, NFL, substitute host for NFL Live and Jim Rome is Burning, co-host The Michael Kay Show on 1050 ESPN Radio, New York) Georgie Bingham 2007-present (co-host of SportsCenter for ESPN non-domestic market and Soccernet SportsCenter) "His wife Pat and sister Amy were at his side and communicated. Some of his best moments on the air came when he adopted the persona of a preacher: "Can I get a witness from the congregation?!" Comentarista de Bisbol. ESPN.com senior writer Andy Katz and ESPN feature producer Miriam Greenfield contributed to this story. Stephen Smith Murder: Murdaugh Hit-And-Run Case Update She was such a tremendous gift to millions of people and inspired even millions more through her songs, yet she had not even reached the peak of her potential.During the COVID-19 lockdown when many . He was 67. That's my Stuart. At WESH, the NBC affiliate in Orlando, he first met ESPN producer Gus Ramsey, who was beginning his own career. Guillermo Celis. "It is with a. Michelle and I offer our thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and colleagues," the president said. But I was still too embarrassed to let them know I was dealing with serious depression, he writes in his book. "JD was one of the most. The fiance of ESPN college football reporter Edward Aschoff shared that his sudden death at 34 on Christmas Eve was actually caused by stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and not pneumonia, as doctors previously thought. "There were successful African-American sportscasters at the time," says ESPN director of news Vince Doria, who oversaw the studio programming for ESPN2 back then. There's so much information and analytical stuff, it's phenomenal.''. Before the millennium arrived, he was covering the MLB playoffs, the Final Four and the NBA Finals. He spent the next six months in therapy relearning how to walk, talk, read, and write. A classic talent like Vin Scully might ask you to pull up a chair. While he covered the NFL for his entire career, Clayton was also well-known for his appearance on a This Is SportsCenter commercial, where he appeared with long hair and expressing a love for heavy metal music. not scoring titles and-MVPs, Mees did deliver the sports and he did it well. It should be mentioned often.Morris died Monday at the . And here comes Uncle Drosselmeyer, and I thought, 'That man looks a lot like Stuart Scott,' and it was -- he was there for his girls. Aschoff died on December 24 with a diagnosis of pneumonia and a rare disease known as hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH). Olivia Harlan Dekker via Facebook. He spent 22 years as an NFL writer and reporter for ESPN, but was let go in 2017 as a part of the companys mass layoffs. He was 67. (Read more cancer stories.). He died Thursday at the age of 79. All Rights Reserved. And yet, when the red light came on, when he was on camera, you had no idea. ESPNU anchor . "I never found him without a statistic to back up what he was saying," says Patrick. "That movie was made two decades ago, and black fraternities have been around since 1906. He was publishing stories as recently as last week. "His girls mean everything to him," says Harris. Karen Hudson-Samuels, 68, worked for over four decades in Detroit as an anchor, producer . Copyright 2023 Endgame360 Inc. All Rights Reserved. Antibiotics did not work and he got worse. "The PFWA mourns the passing of John Clayton," the organization said in a statement. World Cup Reporter Grant Wahl Dead At 49 Days After Detainment For "There was the Mercury program, which gave us Chris Berman and Bob Ley, great pilots who went up there without teleprompters or whatever. Katherine Creag: TV news anchor dies aged 47 | The Independent This was all new territory. Baseball Commentator. Its going to be devastating: End of emergency food benefits expected to impact millions of Californians, Opinion: Newsoms budget cuts threaten public health investment, Doctor: Lesion removed from Bidens chest was cancerous, Dear Abby: I love my wife but I think I better get divorced, Dear Abby: My wife said she doesn't like it, but it's part of my life, Harriette Cole: She has gone too far with the remote work option, Bobcat seen using Highway 17 wildlife crossing hours after it opens, Authorities: Man bombed PG&E transformers in South San Jose, Ask Amy: I feel guilty for not speaking up about my co-worker's activities, William backed Harry and Meghan's eviction, prefers brother never 'set foot in England again', Map in Murdaugh murder case: 5 deaths and a mysterious shooting, Ask Amy: I didn't ask for what I wanted, and I'm sad they couldn't guess, Miss Manners: I felt bad that they all skipped her baby shower -- and then I found out why, As Adderall shortage continues, DEA plans to limit some telemedicine prescriptions, House where JonBenet Ramsey was found dead listed for sale for almost $7M, Columbia University permanently drops SAT, ACT admissions requirement, The Waterbed Doctor: California retailer lays claim to retro bed with nearly 40 years of service, sales, Felonious Florida podcast: Missing teenage girl leads to several cases of child sex trafficking, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. ", He first met ESPN anchor Chris Berman in Tampa, Florida. to "As cool as the other side of the pillow" to "He must be the bus driver cuz he was takin' him to school. Bob Neumeier, longtime Boston sports reporter, dies ", In a telling piece in The New York Times in March, Richard Sandomir spent the day with Stuart as he worked out at a martial arts studio in West Hartford, Conn. At one point, he lifted up his EVERYDAY I FIGHT shirt to reveal the scar from his abdominal surgeries. He continued hosting college football coverage on ABC and was there on the stage to talk with Dabo Swinney and Nick Saban when their teams won national titles. "I recently told that story on the air. I just liked it. Unfortunately, those watching at home on television let him know. "The Seahawks are heartbroken to learn of the passing of John Clayton," the team said in a statement. I am heartbroken, NFL analyst and former NFL quarterback Sean Salisbury said. The Steelers called Clayton "a Pittsburgh media icon.". So, with that in mind, and with the help of his colleagues, here are the Top 10 roles Stuart played for ESPN: Competitor. ", "He didn't just push the envelope," says sports radio host and former ESPN anchor Dan Patrick. Their efforts were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead. While Mees focused on hockey, he also worked in other sports, including college basketball, college football, and MLB. Michael Dwyer - staff, AP. She also asked that donations be made to a scholarship fund in his name set up by Aschoff's alma mater, the University of Floridas School of Journalism and Communications, to help aspiring journalists. ", "John Clayton, one of the first 'Insiders,' helped bring fans closer to the game they loved," Goodell said in a statement. "I love this stuff. Along with Chris Berman and Bob Ley, Mees was one of the first anchors to narrate sports highlights to a national audience when the new network launched in 1979. (14:52). Longtime ESPN NFL reporter John Clayton has died at age 67 - New York Post I am heartbroken. If the senders did leave a name and address, Stuart would answer and ask them to tell him what the problem really was. He was 67. Eisen, now the lead anchor for the NFL Network, says, "Who would have thought the perfect guy for me, a Jewish kid from Staten Island, would be an African-American guy with North Carolina roots? "He was that good. He wrote the story for Flipper and directed many episodes of the TV show. Our friendship was special. About a quarter of cases are passed down through families, and the rest come from infections, a weakened immune system or cancer. Here's everything we know, Richardson sets QB mark for vertical, broad jump, QB Young 5-10 1/8, 204 pounds at NFL combine, Sources: Patriots tell QB Hoyer he's being cut, Horns' Robinson: Versatility worthy of early pick, Jones: Not fixated on Cowboys' drought, just '23, Sources: Raiders plan franchise tag for Jacobs, WR Addison to Steelers' Pickett: 'Come get me', Wolverines' Turner wows with 4.26 40 at combine, Everything you need to know about Geno Smith's contract negotiations. Grant Wahl, the American soccer reporter who collapsed and died while covering the World Cup in Qatar last week, died of an aortic aneurysm that ruptured, his wife, Dr. Celine Gounder, said. On August 10, 2016, John Saunders collapsed on his bathroom floor and died. '', "Long before he became an ESPN icon, John might have been the best news-breaking team beat reporter of his generation, the type who could sit on a story for months and then break it before others had any clue what was going on,'' said The Athletic's Mike Sando, a longtime friend of Clayton's. ", "He's a great, great dad," says Ramsey. I love you, the white guy!' John Saunders, a sportscaster for ESPN and ABC, whose wide-ranging coverage of major championships and other events made him one of the most visible black anchors on television, has died at 61 . He owned it, just like he owned every sportscast, every 'SportsCenter,' every 'Monday Night Football' show he did. ESPN college football reporter Edward Aschoff dies at 34 Every day, Legacy publishes tributes to people from all walks of life. Once I finally looked over the edge, I saw a drop of about 140 feet, equivalent to a 14-story skyscraper. NHL trade deadline: Winners and losers, including the Bruins, Devils and Bruce Boudreau? Former ESPN NFL Reporter John Clayton Dies at 67 He was a terrific journalist, producer, friend, husband and father. Get breaking news alerts& today's headlines inyour inbox. At least 67 people, including 14 minors, died when . CNN notes many had expressed surprise that Aschoff, who was young and seemingly in good health, would die of pneumonia, and Berteau adds, "I also wanted to provide this update because he would have wanted everyone to know that something way bigger than pneumonia took him down." Jeff Dickerson, who covered the Chicago Bears for ESPN, died on Tuesday from complications of colon cancer at the age of 44. It's a hot, stifling night. John Saunders was a proud Canadian. ", That man is Stuart Scott, and his contributions to the sports lexicon are writ large. Coffins of the victims of last Sunday's shipwreck are lined up at the local sports hall in Crotone, southern Italy, Wednesday, March 1, 2023. Pedro Gomez, longtime reporter for ESPN, dies at 58 On April 26, 2017, the entire sports media world was rocked by news of about 100 layoffs at ESPN, many of them impacting big-name reporters, columnists, anchors, hosts and analysts. He later covered the Indiana Pacers for the Indianapolis . Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. He was 61. Stuart Scott, a longtime anchor at ESPN, died Sunday morning at the age of 49. Clayton began his career at the Pittsburgh Press covering the Steelers, before moving to Seattle to cover the Seahawks for the Tacoma News Tribune in the mid 1980s. 2023 ABG-SI LLC. Guillermo Celis. Stuart would bring you a beer and introduce you to Tiger or Michael or Peyton. And Mees, along with Chris Berman and Bob Ley, would be the trailblazers. "No matter how big he got, no matter how bad it got, he never changed. Where are they now? Checking in on all the former ESPN employees laid Former ESPN reporter John Clayton, who was nicknamed "The Professor," died Friday at age 67, the network reported. Stephen Smith murder case has recently gotten new attention. General. "All of this combined is what led to his very rapid decline those last few days, and ultimately his passing.". ESPN's Ed Aschoff dead at 34 after battling pneumonia - NBC News Clayton's close friend Jeff Muzzy announced the news of Clayton's death on Twitter on March 18, 2022, in an emotional statement. "He had that great balance of being entertaining and being right.". Date of birth. Read more in our, This undated photo provided by ESPN images shows ESPN college football reporter Edward Aschoff. In 2009, unbeknownst to anyone at the sports network, he checked into the Westchester Medical Psychiatric Ward at Mt. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Bay Area weather: After thunderstorms and hail, snow could be on the way this weekend, ESPN reporters sudden death at 34: The surprise that autopsy revealed. Sinai Hospital. Ms Creag, who was among the . However, like most college athletes, once his playing days were over, Saunders turned to plan B. Clayton spent over a decade at the Tacoma (Wash.) News Tribune before a more than 20-year run at ESPN. (Rich Arden/ESPN Images via AP), CNN Anchor's Baby Arrived in Most Surprising Way, Report: Fox Has 'Soft Ban' on Trump Appearances, Florida Looks to Crack Down on Political Bloggers, Trump Responds to Rupert Murdoch's Testimony, Radio Station Shares 'Incredibly Worrisome' Update on Missing DJ, Murdoch Acknowledges Hosts Endorsed False Election Claim, Kimmel Responds to Report Trump Tried to Censor Him, Elon Musk Weighs In as Dilbert Fallout Continues, Newspapers Cancel Dilbert Over Racial Commentary, Patricia Heaton Has Incredible Response to Don Lemon, Shooting Victim Credits Fellow Journalist for Saving His Life, initially hospitalized with multifocal pneumonia, Judge's Sentencing Remark Shows Murdaugh Family Pull, Looks Like It's the End for One of DC's 'Greatest Mysteries', 'It Looked Like He Was Basically Sliding Down the Mountain', Woman Declared Dead Decades Ago Suddenly Turns Up. "Ever since he used that catchphrase on the air for the first time, and we looked at each other and said, 'What the hell is that? He won gold medals in pole vault at the 1952 and 1956 Summer Olympics. Clayton's appearance included a spot where he appeared as he would on SportsCenter, in a coat and tie, before he tore both off to reveal a Slayer T-shirt, let down his long hair, jumped on a bed and shouted, "Hey ma, I'm done with my segment.''. ESPN Female Reporters - awajis.com ESPNs Linda Cohn Makes Millions Annually and Has a Substantial Net Worth. So I told my supervisors at ESPN that I was in the hospital for my diabetes, which gave me more incentive to get out soon before I had to blow my cover.. John Clayton ESPN cause of death news - NFL reporter's SportsCenter Four years later, he got the call to head up the coast to Bristol, Connecticut and ESPN. At the time of his death, Mees was just 46. Host, Analyst and Reporter, SEC Network/ESPN. Heres a look back at one of the original ESPN personalities Tom Mees. The ESPN reporter who died on his 34th birthday last month didn't realize it, but he had stage 4 cancer. He was onSportsCenteror calling his beloved NHL games or on assignment to pro football, college basketball, and so much more for just one reason. "Listen to his lead-ins," says Buccigross. Once he returned to ESPN, Saunders struggled at times. Stay up to date with everything Boston. A loyal life friend to me. She served in the Mexican Senate in addition to her career as an entertainer. ESPN's Stuart Scott dies after lengthy battle with cancer - USA TODAY He was part of the Miles Davis Quintet and Art Blakeys Jazz Messengers. Our friendship was special.. The reporter's cause of death was not revealed. He died in the same hospice center as his. ESPN hired him as one of its first-ever sports personalities. Warrior. In 1987, when ESPN signed a contract with the NHL, Mees took on the responsibility of host for NHL broadcasts. We will all miss John greatly. He received a lot of hate mail, most of it anonymous. Joe Valerio, who produced The Sports Reporters for nearly three decades, has died at the age of 71, from cancer. He never slipped. Sports writer and commentator Frank Deford, who won awards for his work with Sports Illustrated magazine and NPR, has died at 78. The ESPN reporter who died on his 34th birthday last month didn't realize it, but he had stage 4 cancer. "But then I reminded myself, 'Hello, who are you talking about here? ESPN Reporter Who Died at 34 Didn't Know It, but Had Cancer (CNN) The death of ESPN reporter Edward Aschoff on his 34th birthday was puzzling to many: How could pneumonia kill a young person who had been in good health? We have been friends since 1986. XFL Week 3 preview: Can AJ McCarron, Battlehawks continue their fourth-quarter heroics? 2:29. But after I got out of my car and walked to the side I encountered girders and fences designed to keep people from jumping. Soul, period.". brotha I was sold when he won 6-NBA rings He was 38. Grant Wahl: Sports reporter died of a ruptured aortic aneurysm at World ESPN issued a statement, . According to anchor Scott Van Pelt, "Stuart would always say to me, 'Game recognizes game.' "Well, that's who Stuart is. "John was a pioneer as an NFL insider but also one of the kindest men you could ever work with,'' said Seth Markman, vice president and executive producer at ESPN. He says that's where he first came up with the pillow metaphor. Our condolences to his wife Pat, and to his friends and family. "He just takes so much pride in the girls, and you can't see him without him taking out his phone and showing you a video of Taelor or Sydni singing or dancing or playing soccer. Reporter Jeff Dickerson, who covered the Chicago Bears for two decades during his tenure at ESPN, died Tuesday from complications from colon cancer. His family told ESPN Clayton died following a . He also hosted the popular Sunday morning sports roundtable show called the Sports Reporters since 2001. Dylan Lyons, a Spectrum News 13 reporter, was killed on Feb. 22 when a gunman opened fire on him and photojournalist Jesse Walden who was critically injured as they sat in their car in the Pine Hills neighborhood of Orlando. And occasionally, he would bust out his own poetry, as he did for this jam on Michael Jordan's 50th birthday on Feb. 17, 2013: the best ever a CLEVER phrase we OVERuse Thank you Aliss for sharing this pain. A memorable and original voice over the past two decades, Scott was known for his colorful. "We are very sorry to have to share the devastating news of the tragi I'm not sure the dance steps were up to Baryshnikov, but certainly the intentions were.". He was 67 years old. Thanks for contacting us. CNN Longtime ESPN reporter Pedro Gomez died "unexpectedly" Sunday at the age of 58, according to a statement from ESPN and Sports Content Chairman James Pitaro. They had entertaining chemistry in the nerd vs. jock genre. A Court of Appeal Judge, in Akure, Ondo State, Justice Lokulo-Sodipe has slumped and died. Once he got into the show, you just forgot about everything, and it was just Stuart Scott doin' 'SportsCenter,' havin' fun. Berteau described Aschoffs lymphoma as an aggressive type of cancer that is usually undetectable until it is very advanced.. ESPN 1000 Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson, 43, dies after battling cancer Jon Champion. ", ESPN anchor John Anderson likens the talent wave at the network to NASA's astronaut programs. "He was Stu to everybody in the halls," says Anderson, "but Stuart on the air. Also wrote for Time, Sports Illustrated, the Fort Lauderdale News and The Evening Sun in Norwich, NY. "It's the highest honor any writer covering this sport can receive,'' Clayton said at the time. Through it all, Stuart remained upbeat and defiant. (1/9) Hi all, Katy again- this will be my last post on Edwards social media. He inspired his colleagues with his talent, his work ethic, his personality and his devotion to his daughters. A ton of work with everyone rolling up their sleeves. List of ESPN personalities - Wikipedia ", Occasionally, Stuart would give a shout-out to Sydni's soccer team, but that was easy compared to another commitment he made to his daughters. Clayton's pursuit of news and information was done with such fervor that, as ESPN's Chris Mortensen said, "Anyone paying attention walked away a little more educated. Clayton was also a longtime member of the Board of Selectors for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He was memorable in Natural Born Killers and True Romance.. CBS Sports journalist Grant Wahl -- one of the most respected soccer reporters in the country -- died while covering the World Cup, his brother announced Friday. At the ESPYS on July 16, shortly before his 49th birthday and following another round of cancer surgery, Stuart accepted the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance with strength, humor, grace and these eloquent words: "When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) ESPN college football reporter Edward Aschoff, known for his outgoing and friendly personality, dapper dress and great love of sports, has died. A cop gives us the coordinates for the afterparty, and now we're walking to 33rd and 10th Avenue Stuart walking down the street was like Elvis entering the building. Learning the new information seemed to bring some comfort to Berteau. Since that night, "You beat cancer by how you live" has become a rallying cry for millions of patients and their families. Giants sign offensive lineman who worked with head coach b MLB's rule changes will only bring needless new degree of confusion, Yankees may get solution to to glut of infielders after NL teams' misfortune, The Marchand and Ourand Sports Media Podcast, The Show with Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman, Amazin' But True: A NY Mets Baseball Podcast, Gangs All Here: A NY Jets Football Podcast, Kellyanne Conway and George Conway to divorce, Canadian teacher with size-Z prosthetic breasts placed on paid leave. It was a crazy idea to consider at the time, but Mees took a chance and applied for a job. ESPN reporter's death at 34: Surprise revealed by autopsy Over time, as the network adjusted its coverage, Mees found himself working in different capacities. Berteau had written in a Twitter thread last month that Aschoff was admitted to the hospital a week after being diagnosed with multifocal pneumonia.