Frequently Asked Questions about the NFL and Football, Pro-Football-Reference.com Blog and Articles, Subscribe to Stathead Football: Get your first month FREE. The second-to-last week of the season resulted in Chicagos final win of the year, a 21-12 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. Follow Dan on Twitter @danpompei, Bobby Douglass, shown here in 1973, had nearly unlimited athletic potential. Stone recalls Douglass offensive linemen telling him they were mad because Douglass would mouth off to opposing defensive linemen. Although his throwing stats were never great, he had the strongest arm in football and with seemingly little effort could throw a ball 70 yards. How many years did Jim Douglass play in the NFL? The cause was primarily because the hash marks were moved closer to the middle of the field, which gave running backs more room with which to find holes and escape defenders. Yeah, it was hurting when I landed on it. He and Billy Kilmer are the only quarterbacks in NFL history to rush for four touchdowns in a single game. Please also read our Privacy Notice and Terms of Use, which became effective December 20, 2019. One method used by baseball pitchers is called "throwing shoulder." Danny Brooks holds the record for the longest football throw -in. Chicago finally notched its first win of the 1972 season the following week, and they did it in grand fashion. I'd stay away from it. The average person should be able to throw a 30-yard disc. Read about Bobby Douglass, a quarterback with a great arm who never quite learned how to make it work. And then they realized Douglass could run. The ball hit him dead in chest eight yards downfield. 8in (49. Then in one bounce, it was back in Bobbys hands.. At times he even threw a good spiral !! The adrenalin just sort of takes over during the game.. penn township hanover, pa map . Not long into his Bears career, media and fans started calling for a position change. Bobby Douglass had 36 touchdowns over his career. June 29, 2022. Whenever there is a discussion about the best way to throw a football, people will often focus on the grip, the footwork, and even the arm motion before release. I have to wonder whether Douglasss career would have ended up altogether different. She became the Playboy playmate of the month in July of 1972 and then became Mrs. Bobby Douglass. Have your volunteer mark each through. After Douglass was at Iowa for about three months, La Russa was promoted to the majors, and the new manager, Joe Sparks, wasnt pitching Douglass. But it was a misleading game, for the Cardinals committed four turnovers, and Douglass could generate only 29 rushing yards. He would play under three head coachesDooley, Gibron and Pardee. I could throw it hard, but I had to learn to pitch. He played aggressively, he was a scrambler and was not likely to hang around the pocket much and take a sack. In a November 4, 1973 game against the Packers, Douglass ran for four touchdowns in a 3117 win. Douglass was about as far away from a conventional NFL quarterback as you could imagine. Justin Fields I could throw about 40-45yds. Tim Tebow reminded me of Douglass who was the Bears QB from 1969 cargoglide truck bed cargo slide Login. Douglass led his team in rushing that year. In 1983 Raiders player Jim Plunkett threw a 99-yard touchdown pass, the longest in NFL history. You couldnt help but pull for him. The Bears were awful during the years when Bobby Douglass playedthey never had a winning season. They arm-wrestled with their right arms even though Douglass is left-handed. Eventually, Douglass worked his way out of that jam with real estate dealings and sales jobs. [2], In 1972, playing for the Bears, Douglass set the record for most rushing yards by a quarterback in one season. In those years, a coin flip was the tiebreaker. Douglass did it at Wrigley Field on November 22, 1970, a 31-13 win over the Buffalo Bills. Despite this, Douglass was drawing praise from some opposing coaches. That arm is why Hank Stram alternated Douglass with Archie Manning in New Orleans, why Al Davis signed him to the Raiders with the intent of using him as a backup to Ken Stabler, and why Devine was interested in acquiring him for the Packers in a trade. He also was sacked in the first quarter, breaking his left wrist in the process. The Cubs asked him to throw batting practice one day. B) Drop non-throwing hand from ball to chest level. He didnt read defenses real well. Step 3: Release. apes chapter 4 quizlet multiple choice. What years did Bobby Douglas play for the Chicago Bears? There always seems to be a quarterback controversy surrounding the Chicago Bears. To learn more or opt-out, read our Cookie Policy. Press the green REDEEM! When I think of Bobby, I think of toughness, former Bears guard Bob Newton said. John Elway- huger arm, can throw across his body like no other, Passes sometimes clocked at over 80+mph. On runs, you couldnt bring him down, former Bears wide receiver George Farmer said. Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come. I had it looked at during halftime because I was in some pain. Thats an incredible feat for a Quarterback that played 70 years ago. But when Douglass later played in 15 games for the Saints, he completed 49 percent of his throws. He frequented Butch McGuires, She-nannigans and The Lodge, often with teammates after a game or practice or in the offseason. Asher recalls Douglass throwing the ball from one goal line to the other. In 2007, Douglass was diagnosed with stage four squamous cell cancer. (Associated Press), Bobby Douglass, shown here in a 1973 game against the Atlanta Falcons, was a scrambling quarterback before his time. The farther you throw it, the more speed you need to get on the ball so that it stays in play instead of going over . The game started out poorly for Douglass when one of his first throws was intercepted and returned for a 23-yard touchdown. I dont really have a choice but to keep working, he said. Douglass did even better against a supposedly tougher defense the following week, as he ran for 82 yards on seven carries (an 11.7-yard average per rush) against the Los Angeles Rams. Former Florida State quarterback Bobby Bowden has the highest career average among active players with 9.5 yards per attempt. . Its difficult today to know what position Douglass would play in the pros or whether new methods, training techniques or strategies could be employed to make him a better player. At one point Dooley actually had Douglass, then a bachelor, move into his house during the season so he could better absorb his teaching. However, there are some who throw much further than this. He became one of the first National Football League (NFL) African American quarterbacks in the modern era, playing for the Chicago Bears in 1953.Willie Thrower. Baseball was Douglass' best sport when he was a kid in El Dorado, Kan. His fastballs made a sound when they hit catchers' mitts - a crisp,. Like, can-throw-farther-than-most-mere-mortals kind of arm. Seven Teams Change Uniforms in 2020These Are Our Bobby Douglass and His 1972 Run for a Record. They should come out here and try coaching in a game like this.. June 22,1947 In those years, a coin flip was the tiebreaker. If you look at this page on NFL Next Gen Stats it has the stat of time to throw, among other things. How many rushing yards did Jim Douglass pass for? In 1970, Ross Montgomery led the team with 229 rushing yards; the next year, it was Don Shy with 420. At that point, he weaved inside of Clarence Scotts feeble tackling attempt, and then stiff-armed Thom Darden at the 5-yard line to reach the end zone. Mannelly retired on June 20, 2014 after a 16-year career. Longtime PFRA member Joe David Roark is a passionate and knowledgeable individual when it comes to sports. What you may not hear as much is . The record for the longest career pass play is held by Joe Kapp with 79 yards against the Los Angeles Rams in 1960. How Far Can Bobby Douglas throw football? in Free. On November 9, 1969 at Wrigley Field, Douglass threw a pair of touchdown passes and led the Bears to a 38-7 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. Carter said Douglass had a great arm, but added, The history of quarterback is trying to find the guy with the big arm, big size, and making the right decisions. Abe Gibron simply summed up his quarterbacks spectacular 1972 season the best by proudly stating that Hes my quarterback.. Minor Lg Stats. One of the most important skills in football today for quarterbacks has to be the skill of throwing the ball across the field accurately with distance. They had dispatched the talented Virgil Carter to Cincinnati after he called Halas "chickenshit", abbreviated to "chicken-bleep" in the newspapers of the time; Rudy Bukich was ancient (36 was considered ancient in those pre-Brett Favre days), and Jack Concannon was erratic. We present them here for purely educational purposes. The Chicago Bears have the most Hall of Famers of any NFL team (26), so to complain about players who were snubbed may sound a bit pithy. Press the blue Twitter bird buttonon the left of the screen. * Selected to Pro Bowl, + First-Team AP All-Pro, Bold indicates league leader. According to Next Gen Stats, Baker Mayfield has takes the longest to throw. It was a difficult indoctrination for Douglass, as Carter publicly and privately complained, and the Bears won only one of Douglass eight starts. Kusnyer took off, and Douglass didnt understand. Farmer recalls a Douglass pass that split the webbing between his fingers. Had McMahon not been injured, the Bears might have won more than that one championship in an era when they made the playoffs every year and had many other great players. I wish now I would have stayed with it. Remember to try and consistently throw the ball as hard as possible.Use a different type of marker for where these throws land. More than 40 years ago, the Bears turned to another young, mobile, tall, blond quarterback to lead them back to the glory that seemed to be seeping away with the aging of George Halas and injuries to key players. This extra range of motion causes you to step deeper into the throw, which will make it travel a farther distance. What followed was Douglass performance against the Lions in which he led the Bears to victory after overcoming three deficits. why did nikki vincent leave tvsn. He occasionally does some sales work and recently helped manage a golf course in Sandwich. He passed for 1,316 yards and 12 touchdowns during his final year as a Jayhawk and finished seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting that season. He had to get stitches. How many black quarterbacks have the Bears had? As a rookie, Douglass started out as third-string behind starter Jack Concanon and backup Virgil Carter. Stafford's Super Bowl performance was on par. Meanwhile, Douglass was trying to sell real estate. What if the Bearshad a quarterback who was so talented and tough that he threw four touchdown passes to win a game after breaking the wrist of his throwing arm? In 1972, he set a record for rushing yards by a quarterback in a season with 968. And I will predict that in a couple of years, he will be one of the outstanding quarterbacks in the league.. You gotta be really bad to go from QB to an offensive tackle @ 6'1" 150lbs. foxsports. The Bears now owned a 3-3-1 record as they began the second half of their schedule. Despite this, the Chicago offensive game plan remained the sameand strategically basic. What did Bobby Douglass do after the NFL? (Graphic: Wes McCabe / The Athletic via a 1971 Topps card). Douglass was a second round pick of the Bears in the 1969 NFL Draft. If we had got more polished, he might have pitched longer, and you never know, he might have got to the big leagues.. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Chicago continued their momentum the following week with a 27-10 win at St. Louis. The coaching staff felt we had to establish a running game first, recalled Douglass. In most cases you should see that a medium, 45-degree angle made the ball go the farthest. Step behind your front foot with your back foot so that your legs cross over. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. dometic water heater manual mpd 94035; ontario green solutions; lee's summit school district salary schedule; jonathan zucker net worth; evergreen lodge wedding cost Join our linker program. He grabbed a few guys, and they were like, Whoa, I dont want to mess with this guy, Kusnyer said. What is a good distance to throw a football? This is the point that is intriguing to me. That didn't happen, but it was during Douglass' tenure at QB when the Bears put the orange "C" within the white "C" that had been the helmet logo before the early 1970's. But the truly remarkablepart of the story is that he did it with a brokenwrist on his throwing arm. Chicago Bears (19691975) San Diego Chargers (1975) New Orleans Saints (19761977) Green Bay Packers (1978). Throwing the ball farther than 20 yards away from you requires accurate shooting and control of the ball's trajectory. (Bills running back Zack Moss says Allen can throw it 100 yards, but I think he just picked a round number. One thing that Gibron, Douglass, and the rest of the Bears could not ignore, however, was the losing. Had a CANNON by everyone who saw him play and practice. The throw traveled 63 yards in the air. Nevertheless, Bear fans of the era knew Douglass was something special, but pundits were never quite convinced he was in the right position. In the second quarter, Green Where was Bobby Douglass born? After the big, blond left-hander threw two interceptions and passed for 80 yards in a 35-7 opening day loss to the Colts in 1975, general manager Jim Finks waived him, stunning everyone. When you throw a ball, any loose clothing hanging down from your neck (such as a shirt collar) can get dragged along by the ball and increase the distance it travels. And instead of You, we're talking about 2-time Super Bowl Champion John Fucking Elway and his rocket laser arm. Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. I think I had pretty good instincts when it came to running the ball, and once in a while I could even run over a defensive player or two.. That included beating his teammates in arm wrestling, throwing heaters by future major leaguers, and walking out of the Playboy Club on Michigan Ave. with a centerfold on his arm. Douglass himself said he could throw at least 90 yards and probably 100 in certain conditions. I loved watching him. It was not uncommon to see a defender rip off his helmet and for Douglass to put his head down and keep going at the defender like a wild boar trying to gore an intruder. Chicagos offense compiled 214 total rushing yards in the game. But Mahomes threw a pass to Tyreek Hill in the 2018 preseason that traveled 68.6 air yardsthe longest that's ever been measured. Bobby Douglass. Douglass and other members of the team were regulars at R.J. Grunts in Lincoln Park. Bobby Douglass could have been a major league pitcher. It was one of those things. Douglass added a fourth scoring toss in the fourth quarter toGordon to lead the Bears to a 31-13 win over the Bills. The Yankees and Dodgers were particularly interested. The quarterback who holds the ball the least per play is Ben Roethlisberger. He is 71 year-old Bobby Douglass, who played quarterback for the Chicago Bears from 1969 through 1975. Bobby Douglass was born in Manhattan, KS. Now, repeat the procedure for a "medium" angle (outward and upward) of about 45 degrees. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. I just enjoyed playing so much. Danny Brooks, 28, has mastered a trick that allows him to throw a football 163 feet 3 inches. 0 . What is the most famous college football trick play? On a chilly November day 50 years ago, Bobby Douglass threw four touchdown passes against the Buffalo Bills at Wrigley Field. [5], Douglass was arrested on charges of trespassing on April 13, 2011. Your four fingers should be on top of the ball, on the side where the laces are, with your thumb on the other side of the ball, underneath them. Freeman is another young quarterback who can throw laser passes. Douglass continues to live in Lake Forest, where he has been since 1973. on Wednesday at the Northern League Gary RailCats game. Despite all the noise about Douglass changing positions, the Bears didnt consider it until Douglass last year with the team. Everybody was doing the same thing in the NFL for the most part. But I do it because we thought it would help our running game. Find out more. Wikipedia. how does odysseus deal with the suitors Search. Six quarterbacks (three in the CFL, three in the NFL) have since run for over 1,000 yards. The pain, Douglass said, didn't affect him. It didn't work last year and based on the preseason results so far in 2010, may not this year, either. Jamarcus Russell. The way you describe it he is basically throwing a curve-his hand is on the side of the ball and not behind the ball. How Far Can Bobby Douglas throw football? NFL footage NFL Productions LLC. Most times the throws that players make are well below one hundred yards. Draft: Chicago Bears in the 2nd round (41st overall) of the 1969 NFL Draft. The Bears were still the biggest thing in town. During that span, he averaged 43.4 rushing yards per game playedthe third highest rushing yards per game average over a five-season span for a quarterback. In 2013, he received the Bill Nunn Award from the Pro Football Writers of America for long and distinguished reporting. He threw two TD passes in the second quarter, one each to wide receivers Dick Gordon and Jim Seymour. It is highly recommended that you use the latest versions of a supported browser in order to receive an optimal viewing experience. In 1972, Douglass had 968 yards rushing and an incredible 6.9 yards gained per run. Its the first time hes hit me this year, Farmer said. A football is probably around 50 yards long. They had four children together and he became stepfather to her son. 0. Some call the current NFL the "No Fun League". Bert Jones. Throwing shoulder means taking off your shirt so the ball doesn't drag it along. Unfortunately for Douglass, one of his two interceptions on this afternoon was returned 24 yards for a touchdown by Rams defensive back Gene Howard, which kept the Bears from doing anything more than posting a 13-13 tie. Ken Grandberry was the leader with 475 in 1974. The big southpaw was drafted by Chicago in the second round of the 1969 draft. He decided to start Douglass who had played littlethat year. 9 years old? profootballjournal@gmail.com. Bobby Douglass could have been a quarterback like Lamar Jackson. It also gave quarterbacks more room to head downfield with the pigskin tucked under their arm. The Bears shutout the Cleveland Browns, 17-0, a team that would eventually win the AFC Wild Card berth in a few months time. 2. Where can I find episodes of Tom and Jerry? Word got around to the South Side that he threw pretty well. For a 73-year-old former NFL player and cancer survivor, Douglass is in pretty good shape, though he cant jog anymore because of that left knee. The best-known of those was Allie Sherman, who later became coach of the New York Giants in the early 1960's. His father Robert Douglass was an NFL running back/fullback for the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 1930s, but the kid with the best arm always plays quarterback, right? The record stood for 34 years. In practice, most NFL quarterbacks can throw the ball 70-80 yards. He and a reserve quarterback named Dennis Scala used to have competitions, standing on the field and trying to throw a football over the press box at the top of . He was not confronted by any potential tacklers until he reached the Cleveland 15-yard line. Think Bears QB's have been shaky in recent years? Douglass played with one Pro Bowler, Dick Gordon. Douglasss hands were enormous. He is one of 49 members on the Pro Football Hall of Fame selectors board and one of nine members on the Seniors Committee. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. Since his retirement he's remained a popular figure in the Chicago area, running football camps for kids during the summer. marlon brando children; pete the cat and his four groovy buttons comprehension questions; nolin lake conditions; dan majerle hall of fame; dayton floor drill press,belt Can you throw the ball to yourself in korfball? [6], "Bobby Douglass, Post 81 American Legion", "Former Kansas Quarterback Bobby Douglass Up for Induction to College Football Hall of Fame", "Bobby Douglass: A Bears Quarterback Who Was One Of A Kind", "Bobby Douglass had it all and could've been the next great Bears quarterback", "Ex-Bear QB Douglass charged with trespassing", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bobby_Douglass&oldid=1135660608, This page was last edited on 26 January 2023, at 01:24. On that run, Douglass bootlegged around left end and showed off his speed. The maximum recorded distance thrown in a game was 66 yards by Otto Kircher of Germany in 1914. He was a fast, powerful, elusive runner who in 1972 rushed for 968 yards, thenan NFL record for quarterbacks. The ball moved after it was released by Kosar and was recovered by Zendejas who took off running and lateraled the ball back to Kosar who ran with it for a first down.if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'sportsmanist_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_2',118,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-sportsmanist_com-medrectangle-3-0'); Kosar's five-yard pass is also the shortest recorded throw in an NCAA football game. Douglass decided to walk away with a final stat line of seven innings pitched, seven earned runs allowed, 13 walks, and no strikeouts. Then, step forward with your lead foot and throw the ball. We got a little more pension money this last year from the NFL, so I dont have to work. It's probably approximately 50 yards for a football. Step #2 - Use the Laces. Football was Douglass first priority, however. Jamarcus Russell- one of the strongest arms to ever, can sling the ball 80+yds down the field effortlessly. He put up gaudy stats and numbers for his time. He'll be signing autographs along with another popular ex-Bear, kicker Kevin Butler, on Wednesday at the Northern League Gary RailCats game at US Steel Yard in Gary. Then there were the receivers. What an enormous talent, said baseballs Steve Stone, who was a friend and business partner. Trevor SiemianNathan Peterman I always respected that of Bobby. And when brunette bunny Carol ONeal walked by, Douglass noticed. On November 9, 1969 at Wrigley Field, Douglass threw a pair of touchdown passes and led the Bears to a 38-7 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. NFL quarterbacks are required to make accurate passes of roughly 60 yards, and there are variances in physical ability beyond that: individuals like Vinny Testaverde and Michael Vick had amazing arms, and players like Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford can hurl it 70+ yards nowadays with ease. The average length of a football field is 40 yards, including sidelines and end zones. Let's not go into that here. Who is the Chicago Bears all-time leading receiver? John Harbaugh and Greg Roman have built a team and an offense around Jacksons abilities, but Jim Dooley tried to make Douglass a dropback passer in a one-size-fits-all offense. What Bobby Douglass is remembered as is a legend. Sid Luckman (1939 1950) Luckman to this day is the best Quarterback, hands down, of All-Time for the Chicago Bears. Bobby Douglass could have been a tight end. Both Tebow and Douglass are left-handed and big men. Email us at: Farmer was talented, but he and Douglass didnt always click. Tebow is 6-3, 235 lbs. He was almost like a fullback breaking tackles. He also caught the ball out of the back of the end zone for a touchdown. Douglass answered by playing two more games with the injury, which turned out to be a torn ACL. how far could bobby douglas throw a footballdark blue suit brown shoes. With fullback John Riggins, Douglass led the Jayhawks to their first Big Eight title in 20 years, and the quarterback was voted All-American. 4. Play Index. Full Name: Robert Gilchrist Douglass. ksp plane takeoff; ascension via christi tuition reimbursement; avengers fanfiction peter intern field trip . Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen has one of the strongest arms in the NFL, there's no debating that. Coach Jim Dooley and his successor, Abe Gibron, had no idea what to do with him. View Player Info from the B-R Bullpen. And poetry. Douglass ran for 75 yards and two touchdowns, both of which were meandering runs through the heart of the Eagles defense. Javascript is required for the selection of a player. Subscribe to The Athletic for in-depth coverage of your favorite players, teams, leagues and clubs. The distance that you can throw a ball depends on many factors such as your arm strength, hand size, wind speed/direction, ball type, and terrain features. All logos are the trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC. I was in the paper a lot because I was so controversial. I wish we had been able to run the pistol (offense).. 0 share; The Bears finished in last place in the NFC Central Division in 1972 with a 4-9-1 record, but the blame could not be attributed to Douglass, at least as far as his running . How many members of the 85 Bears are in the Hall of Fame? Instead of lightly tagging the runner, as protocol would have it, he knocked him into the first base dugout. He is one of only seven Bears quarterbacks (Billy Wade, Concannon, Erik Kramer, Cade McNown, Rex Grossman and Cutler are the others) to throw four TD passes in a single game in the last 50 years. That set a record for rushing by a quarterback in a single season which stood for 34 years until Michael Vick broke it in 2006 -- by 71 yards, and Vick had two more games in a 16-game season. June 7, 2022 1 Views. how far could bobby douglas throw a football how far could bobby douglas throw a football. To bring the best out of Douglass, Dooley stayed with him for two nights before a 1971 game at Douglass apartment in Old Town. Although the talent has yet to translate on the field. The league completion average during Douglass decade in the league was 52 percent. 6-5 , 228lb (196cm, 103kg) Born: June 22, 1947 in Manhattan, KS us. Player Game Finder, School Game Finder. As a result, Douglass often never searched in the pocket for more than one receiver before tucking the ball and running with it. inManhattan,KS, College: On the downside, its been said that Douglass was not a quick study of the Bears playbook and he did throw interceptionsperhaps more than would have been expected by a running quarterback. hearts shooters choice; clark county police scanner; elton john albums in order When Douglass injured his left knee in a November 1973 game against the Lions, the Soldier Field fans cheered. For decades, he has been a regular at Chicago fundraisers, golf outings, and sporting events. Losses to the Detroit Lions (14-0 on November 5), Green Bay Packers (23-17 on November 12), San Francisco 49ers (34-21 on November 19), Cincinnati Bengals (13-3 on November 26), and the Minnesota Vikings (23-10 on December 3) were certainly tough for the Bears to swallow. Dedicated to reporting mainstream and esoteric aspects of professional football. But there are degrees. This means that most people cannot throw the ball very far. Bobby Douglass: A Bears Quarterback Who Was One Of AKind. All tolled, Douglass accounted for 117 rushing yards against the Browns on 11 attempts (a 10.6-yard rushing average). While he struggled in his rookie season, with the addition of some . Halas responded to Devines inquiry by giving Douglass a salary of around $100,000 in 1973, which Douglass believes made him the highest-paid player on the team. Most Recent Games and Any Score Since 1869. There are football experts who say quarterbacks cant run in the NFL. The surface of the field is just one of them. Do you have a sports website? He coached the U.S. team at the 1989, 1991, 2002 and 2003 World Championships and led the 1989 World Cup and 1991 Pan Am teams while serving on staff at various other international competitions. He had three deals on the table that were worth about $2 million. But the truly remarkable part of the story is that he did it with a. Bobby Douglass played 91 games over his career. Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net. Call 1-800-GAMBLER. I was getting sacked and I put my hand down to cushion the fall when I hurt it. Stafford threw for a combined total of 283 yards during Super Bowl LVI at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood less than his single 305-yard pass at Disneyland. Being a quarterback in Chicago, people knew who I was, Douglass said. Too strong, said most of his receivers; they kept complaining they'd get open and he'd overthrow them anyway. Try a week on us. He gets the flow going one way, and then goes another. That relationship proved useful a time or two when patrons got a little too friendly, or unfriendly. In fact, they once got into a fight at Soldier Field in the heat of training camp. He played quarterback the way Butkus played middle linebacker. Douglass took this edict from his coaches to heart. But Vick had two more games in which to accomplish it. Bobby Douglass was born on June 22, 1947. Although his throwing stats were never great, he had the strongest arm in football and with seemingly little effort could throw a ball 70 yards. It would be decades before the NFL would see another running quarterback of the caliber of DouglassMichael Vick. Bats: Unknown Throws: Left. The Bears completed their 1972 season at Oakland.