Verified Member FFL Top 100 Seller. Shotguns have been around since the 19th Century. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. The ones sold buy Montgomery. Seller indicates it's a .410 model. He covers the applications of different chokes as well as making sure you. Note: Please be aware that pricing varies from time to time and from one merchant/gun dealer to another. Early models are compatible with Winchester, Browning Invector & Mossberg 500 style threads, while newer 835/935 shotguns have their own thread styles. When it comes to Mossberg shotguns, or any pump action shotgun in general, you'd be hard pressed to not hear about the Mossberg 500. 410 with 24 inch barrel . Whether youre in the market for a good home defense shotgun, a great hunting rig for turkey/deer/waterfowl, a fully-pimped tacticool piece, an IDPA 3-Gun Competition setup, or all of the above, Mossberg has you covered with their 500 Series. The Mossberg 500, introduced in 1961, was a relative newcomer when mine was purchased in the 1970s. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. It does look like the Mossberg 500 JIC but the owner does not know what model it is since he does not have paperwork. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Weekly Deals are sent out on Tuesday at 7PM Eastern Time. While most Mossberg owners will use a 500 for shooting trap and even hunting big game, the .410 is really only useful for small pests and vermin. Those new to shotguns might have never heard of the word choke used in any firearms-related context before. I can't seem to locate any specific for my gun. Although I didnt understand 100 percent what your post means. Any use of this content without express written consent is prohibited. Field Model. Trigger: The mechanism that fires the gun. They were so effective that up to the present, theyre still being used. It has the same features as the Mossberg shotguns with dual extractors, twin action bars, positive steel-to-steel lockup, and even the anti-jam elevator. Like the Maverick 88, the Mossberg 500 is available as either a six or an eight-shot model. We are upgrading our site, you may be experiencing performance issues. We're rapidly gathering data. The Mossberg 590 and 590A1 are premium tactical weapons. from left to right I have a Stevens model 94 in 20 ga. Next in line is a Mossberg youth 410 pump shotgun perfect for your first shotgun. Sent Once A Week - No Spam - No Selling Your Email. Mossberg 500 is a series of pump action shotguns manufactured by O.F. The Mossberg 500. The Gun Control Act of 1968 made it no longer optional for a manufacturer to put serial numbers on their long guns, and all Mossberg firearms made after 1968 will bear a serial number on the left rear of the receiver. The Mossberg 500 shotguns are rugged, reliable and easy to work with. Cookie Notice Model 500s are tough. A .410 gauge Mossberg Model 500E slide action A .410 gauge Mossberg Model 500E slide action shotgun Serial no. Bore (not pictured): The inside of the barrel. Company for a time was located at Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts and since 1962 has been in North Haven, Connecticut. The prefix on my 500 is H, so would a guess of early 1980's be close? O.F. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". The new 590S is available in a full-size shoulder-mounted model with an 18.5- or 20-inch barrel option, or the smaller Shockwave with Raptor grip, which has 18.5- and 14.4-inch barrels to choose from. shotgun configured in many different barrel, Disclaimer Policy And FTC Affiliate Disclosure, GND Serious Gun Lover - Unisex Jersey Long Sleeve Tee. 12 , 20 or 419 bore . It has a Modified Choke in a 28" ribbed barrel. Knowing whether your rifle is a short or long action is important if ordering replacement parts, especially aftermarket stocks. In a time of ever-cheaper products that dont always do what they are supposed to do, the Model 500 does, at a price anyone can afford. Look on both sides of the gun, directly under the trigger. The 12-gauge Slugster in 24-inch barrel (Item#55244), especially designed for use with sabot slugs, is the only Model 500 Hunting configuration that comes fluted (to reduce weight for ease of carrying). You are using an out of date browser. S32 x 32.20 win. Granted this is your run of the mill shotgun stock, but after using the 590's FLEX 6-position stock, I miss the ability to adjust. The trigger group housing is made of polymer. Just $1 per month , The Mossberg 500 doesnt suck, and our shotguns editor is here to tell you why, By Mossberg's original 1930s advertisement announcing the first bolt action shotguns. Like this: MV12345 K. Mossberg Model 190 16 gauge Bolt Action Shotgun BZ Trader 4.13K subscribers Subscribe 255 Share 46K views 6 years ago Mossberg 190's were made from 1950-55, with some variants to the late. Are you feeling a little overwhelmed by an endless sea of technical jargon on gun forums and in gun shops? The Mossberg 500 Persuader comes with a traditional stock, without a pistol grip. Forestock (or forearm): The front part of the stock that is held by the shooters supporting arm. It had an exterior screw-on type of choke system and would come with an Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Full Choke Tube along with a spanner style wrench if the knurling was not enough. Then load three shells (or five shells, in the case of 8-shot mags) to push out the plug. These adjustable black stocks work pretty much like an M4 stock, so for users who are accustomed to shooting M4s, these might work better than other types of shotgun stocks. JavaScript is disabled. Security comes with an 1812 -inch or 20-inch non-vent-rib barrel. Ask someone at your local gun store for ideas, search online or ask at a local gun show for an appraiser's name if you can't find one on your own. Different people have different opinions on porting, some like it while others dont (I personally dont care too much about it). Several barrel lengths are available for all Mossberg 500s. That safety allowed Mossberg to advertise its new gun as the only 12-gauge with the feature that every shooter wants. Mossberg also offered the gun in what they called combos and we would call bundles today. We are getting together a Mossberg serial number data base. Mossberg Model 75 20-gauge bolt action shotgun. limiting plug) inside the magazine, which greatly limits the capacity from a 6-shot or an 8-shot to a 3-shot mag. https://www.mossberg.com/firearms/shotguns/ HerbieVerstinx 3 yr. ago There is also a serial number database on the forum, mossbergowners.com. . Because steel is less dense than lead or bismuth, you should choose a shot size that is at least two sizes larger than that which you normally use. Mossberg offers bolt-action, lever-action and auto-loading rifles as well as pump-action, auto-loading, and over/under shotguns. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. the Mil-S-3443 specifications for shotguns. Turn the butt of the shotgun handle stock toward you. U.S. Military Firearms All in all I didnt get many back for service, under extreme conditions they shine. The NMCA has the historical data to answer all of your questions. Store Brand Crossover List; Proof Marks; Glossary; Gun Collector Organizations . Knowing the diameter of a Mossberg choke tube is important in order to identify choke tube constriction. Back in those days, rifling was unheard of. All long guns, with the exception of break action firearms and a few other rare types, have a bolt. 28" factory "select choke" barrel, and walnut stock. Shorter cartridges allow for a shorter bolt, which in turn makes for a lighter, faster cycling rifle. 12 and 20 with 20 , 22 , 24 ,26 , 28 30 inch barrels with assorted chokes , receiver safety , checkered pistol grip stocks , checkered pistol grip stocks from 1973 on. Fear not! by Travis Pike Apr 27, 2020. | There are more than 1.3 million copies in print as of 2010. and .30-06 Springfield up to powerful heavy game cartridges such as .375 H&H Magnum and .458 Win. More than 10 million Mossberg 500 shotguns have been made since the first one was produced in 1960. This information has never been in the public domain. The shotgun is again ready to fire. The 500 Hunter Series barrels are available in three different types of blued finish: Blued, Matte-Blued and High Polish Blue; and three more types of finish, all under Mossbergs proprietary camo design for hunting called Mossy Oak:Break-Up Country, Obsession and Shadow Grass Blades. Browning Citori: interchanges with Trulock's Browning Invector Plus style. Boyds will be closed on Thursday, 2/23/23, due to inclement weather in our area.Please email help@boydsgunstocks.comand we will answer questions as quickly andefficientlyas possible.Thank you for your patience and understanding. AR15.Com reserves the right to overwrite or replace any affiliate, commercial, or monetizable links, posted by users, with our own. The 500 Tactical Series receivers are available in three types of finish: Blued, Marinecoat (Mossbergs proprietary weatherproof finish), and Matte-Blued. Should I buy a Model 500 or an 870 Express. This is where almost every shotgun manufacturer places the shotgun brand seal. The forearm is connected to the bolt by parts called action bars. The gun was such a success for Mossberg that it began phasing out all its other firearm and non-firearm products (Mossberg bicycles, and its line of Pedersen high-end guns and golf clubs, for instance) when the company aquired its first C-N-C machine in the late 70s. The 500 has been made in many configurations for special purposes from trap to turkeys to tactical, and it has been made in 12-, 16- (briefly) 20-gauge and .410. There was even an in-line muzzleloader barrel you could add. Manufacturing is done both in Turkey and in the US from parts made in both America and Mexico. Otherwise, the 500 and the 590 are the same gun. Are you an absolute novice when it comes to firearms? After reassembly, the user can load the maximum allowable number of shells in the mag tube. The magazine may be part of the gun (integral) or detachable. How to Find a Guns Make and Model and What Kind of Ammo It Takes. The diameter of a shotgun's bore is called its gauge. Then, as I watched 870s decline in the early 2000s, my answer changed, and I started looking at the humble 500 through new eyes. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. Armed with this knowledge, you can appropriately purchase ammunition and replacement parts if necessary. You can change or disable your cookies at any time through your browser settings. Conversion kits for the Mossberg Maverick 88 (Mossbergs entry-level series of shotguns), Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are available. To set the gun apart from the competition, he put a sliding safety on top of the receiver, in the same place the safety is found on a break-action gun, and in easy reach of right- and left-handed shooters alike. AR15.COM is the world's largest firearm community and is a gathering place for firearm enthusiasts of all types. Given that, I couldnt help but notice one little issue. If you happen to have bought a bullpup conversion kit for your Mossberg 500 and you need help with the conversion process, you can watch this video. The thing is, people still remembered the pre-war bolt guns, which had a good reputation among hunters, and asked the company for more. Fjestad. Mossberg did not put serial numbers on most long guns until 1968 (GCA 1968 required them) Parker Brothers Serial Numbers and Grades. The best way to tell if you own a short or long action rifles is to find the make, model, and chambering as outlined above, and then consult the manufacturers website or customer service line. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Use them to identify your model, then confirm with the serial numbers cited in the book. 4. dating. Often, a long gun will be defined by its action, or the manner in which a cartridge is moved from the magazine into the chamber. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". A good shotgun appraiser will have a wealth of experience and should be able to offer you some good guesses about your model of shotgun, which you can then confirm online or with the Blue Book. The barrel has to be removed first to remove the magazine end cap, so the magazines front is exposed. Mossberg Shotguns Mossberg 500 12 GA Pump-Action Shotgun Parkerized with Pistol Grip $ 349.00 Quick View Mossberg Shotguns Mossberg 500 12 Gauge ATI Scorpion Tactical Cruiser Pistol Grip Shotgun with Heat Shield $ 489.00 Quick View Mossberg Shotguns Mossberg 500 12 Gauge Combo Pump-Action Shotgun $ 419.00 Quick View Mossberg Shotguns Your review is concise and informative. Weight 5 1/2 lbs, barrel 26" with metal bead front and inverted leaf rear sights. Does anyone know how to truly identify the Mossberg model? The only difference is a supposedly lower muzzle rise, which allows for quicker target re-acquisition and faster follow-up shots, at the price of louder shots in ported chokes. You could call Mossberg. This four . Cartridges are chambered by means of a turn bolt. A gun of modern manufacture with 70mm chambers and preferably no more than half choke should be perfectly safe to use with standard steel cartridges, provided that it is in proof and in sound order. Its no backhanded compliment to call the Mossberg 500 the greatest cheap shotgun ever made. The Mossberg 590A1 is the standard-issue pump shotgun of most of the United States Military. list of their serial numbers in relation to the dates of Maverick 88 shotguns feature a trigger guard-mounted cross-bolt safety as opposed to a top tang safety, which is used on the Mossberg 500 series. Finally, the three shotguns have difference prices to them. Of the 30 different Mossberg 500 Hunting configurations, 15 come with the ACCU-set (Items #52282, #54183, #54243, #54264, #54282, #54169, #50120, #50136, #56420, #56436, #50126, #59810, #59821, #59814, #55128). The bolt carrier is made of steel, which locks into the steel extension of the barrel. The 500 Hunter Series receivers are available in three different types of blued finish: Blued, Matte-Blued and High Polish Blue; and three more types of finish, all under Mossbergs proprietary camo design for hunting called Mossy Oak:Break-Up Country, Obsession and Shadow Grass Blades. What would I know?, I was just a plane captain in a Fighter Squadron LOL! You SIR are a hero, an again I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for your patience. A vent rib, which allows for faster cooling of the barrel, is installed on all 26-inch barrel configurations for Items #54183and #54282, the 28-inch barrel configurations for Items#54243,#54264and#54169, and on all Turkey, Waterfowl and All-Purpose configurations. I was pleasantly surprised to find that many of the 88's components are replaceable. Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns are both very common. They work. To gain maximum capacity, that plug must be removed. When the military wanted a pump-action shotgun, they put out a specific series of guidelines for manufacturers. How do I choose between my boyfriend and my best friend? He gave it to me with no paperwork or documents referring to what model I have. I will confess here I no longer own a Model 500. It's durable, dependable, and shoots true every time. However, Mossberg goes a step further upgrading these 12 gauge shotguns with a higher capacity magazine, a heavier barrel with a tough . The shotgun breaks down easily for cleaning and it is a model of simplicity. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. Write: NMCA - PO Box 487 - Festus, MO 63028, Telephone: 636-937-6401 Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. Most firearms from reputable manufacturers will have all the most important information about that firearm stamped or etched into the receiver or on the portion of the barrel just forward of the receiver. For the sake of simplicity and brevity, the focus of this primer will be on long guns. diffusion choke which opens up the shot spread over shorter distances more than conventional barrels do), all barrel configurations have a cylinder bore with a fixed choke which does not allow for replacement choke tubes. Not surprisingly, it was always-innovative Mossberg that partnered with Federal to make the first 3 -inch 12-gauge and, its equally not surprising that the gun was a spin-off of the very successful Model 500. Information courtesy of The Blue Book of Gun Values by S.P. A shotgun typically has a smooth bore and is designed to fire multiple small projectiles (called shot) at the same time.