November 16, 2022 / 5:32 PM / CBS San Francisco SAN JOSE-- San Jose City Councilmember Matt Mahan will become the next mayor of San Jose after Santa Clara County Supervisor Cindy. New Ordinance 30768 - An Ordinance of the City of San Jose Amending Chapter 12.06 of the San Jose Municipal Code to Extend Cindy Chavez also disqualified herself by not acting to terminate the County health director and by pushing to fire unvaccinated VTA employees (an abomination which remains ongoing because the workers union is fearful of crossing her). San Jos Spotlight is a project of the San Jos News Bureau, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization | Tax ID: 82-5355128. And in whatever role I'm in, I'm looking forward to working with them. Who exactly do you consider the privileged?? 2). The race for San Jose mayor is the most contestedand expensivecompetition this election. I intend to meet with him later this week, and if satisfied as to his sincerity, I will support his candidacy as well. San Jos Spotlight is following the money and will update this page routinely. Plata Arroyo Neighborhood Association has asked to be part of that a Association since they are part of the PLATA ARROYO NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION AND EASTGATE N.A.C., and so has MAYFAIR NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION AND MAYFAIR N.A.C. 49ers have already taken control of the City of Santa Claras Council & Mayor. Ill do the same for San Jose.. Should any one need to discuss this further, as always, I am available to meet. Political action committees (PACs) have raised 51% of those funds ($4.4 million) since last December. Does anyone know what laws they are based upon and authorized by? In 2018, Matt co-chaired the citywide Measure T campaign, which secured $650 million in TAXPAYER funding. Matt Mahan is the man. Dont vote for a Candidate who has zero support from his diverse City Council members, dont vote for a Candidate who has support from the far right of Almaden, dont vote a Candidate has accomplished or led nothing in his brief 18 month stint in the San Jose City, dont vote for a Candidate who has a record of accomplishing nothing. And Spotlight writing an article about people participating in our political process as infiltrating our political process with ultra right-wing candidates is total biased nonsense. https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02/18/how-eddie-debartolo-got-caught-in-a-scandal-that-cost-him-the-49ers/. The biggest thing to remember is that Liccardo said (San Jose Spotlight) that he plans to influence the 2022 elections. Comments are moderated and approved by administrators. It has been an honor to represent the neighbors of District 9 on the San Jose City Council, Foley said in a statement. *y'zt"@ @Dtt 5M Z Bj )F4QQ@18ti1 QAY! Nguyen is the latest to join the race. Period. He tried to say he is the POLICY ADVISOR to the Alum Rock Santa Clara Business Association. Fortunately, one started a NEW BUSINESS ASSOCIATION ON ALUM ROCK AVENUE and the other was ME. He also said he wants to stand up against Santa Clara County Public Health Officer Dr. Sara Cody for closing down businesses and imposing strict COVID-19 rules during the pandemic.. Why cant they be honest with even the financials? document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); In less than six months, San Joseans will go to the ballot box to pick their next councilmembers and mayor. Ive seen Irene Smith actively participate in solutions to local neighborhood issues (even prior to running for office) and after meeting; I like her views on the basics, found her to be a good listener and open to input/ideas. I dont think Dev Davis is in contention and the other two are awful. I agree!! President THAT Raul Peralez?? With focus on the tight race, county elections officials answered questions about what would trigger an automatic recount. Comment Policy (updated 11/1/2021): We reserve the right to delete comments or ban users who engage in personal attacks, hate speech, excess profanity or make verifiably false statements. Unfortunately, Mahan has upset too many people in his own district after serving just a year or less with his proposed building building up to 5,000 prefab units on 50 acres of public land, which is said to be the largest in the country. I did have to laugh. This Spence fella, mentioned here, sounds interesting. The last 3 years of pandemic kept her in hiding. Im just a regular person that believes most people/Democrats are moderates and feel encouraged that she will promote a common sense approach and the best interests for D3. Districts 1, 3 and 5 are open seats, with the current officeholders terming out, while Districts 7 and 9 have two incumbents running for reelection: Maya Esparza and Pam Foley, respectively. Raul Peralez? "And you know, we end up with the final result.". Mayor Reed who I will always respect endorsed Sam and Im quite certain he has regretted that every minute since. Candidates [ edit] Potential [ edit] She currently has no competition, according to the citys filings. Now why would that matter? According to the 2020 San Jose census, the largest San Jose racial/ethnic groups are: No matter who wins, Mahan and Chavez will have to continue to work together -- with one of them being mayor and the other remaining in their current position. The biggest surprise came from the District 1 council race,with San Jose Planning Commissioner Justin Lardinoisdropping out of the runningover the weekend. "As well as ensuring that we have safety, sanitation and services for all of the shelter and housing options that we provide. 525 0 obj <> endobj SMH. We have lost all retail. While Im proud of the campaign that I ran, it became increasingly clear to me that personal circumstances unrelated to the campaign necessitated my exit from the race, Lardinois said in a statement,one day after telling San Jos Spotlight his campaign would file nomination paperwork. Although following the money is always interesting, what really matters are the votes. Mahan will NOT get my vote. Thank you for providing that bit of history on Mahan. Comment Policy (updated 11/1/2021): We reserve the right to delete comments or ban users who engage in personal attacks, hate speech, excess profanity or make verifiably false statements. Poor 49ers. I humbly request your support for a second term.. Mayor Sam Next up is Dev Davis, who is currently a San Jose City Council member for District 6. Davis, who won reelection to her council seat in November, has pushed hard in recent weeks against SB 9, a state bill that allows homeowners to build additional units in single-family neighborhoods. I dont know much about any of the candidates other than Ive seen Chavez bouncing around destroying things everywhere she goes for the last 20 years. Two candidates, business owner Irene Smith and San Jose-Evergreen Community College District trustee Omar Torres are fighting for the seat. Contact Lloyd Alaban at [emailprotected] or follow @lloydalaban on Twitter. Were all still standing by for her to produce the data from controlled studies that guided her. How then is he competing against an accomplished minority women, you might ask? Three fppc complaints about mixing their money around and trying to rename their pacs after trump pardoned debartolo. Esteban couldnt get 50 signatures and his throwing his support to Peralez? Relative newcomer Mahan continued to narrowly lead the race against Chavez. Eviction is a legal remedy to evict a person and he NEVER went through an eviction process. The owner of Le Bail Bonds is Hai Huynh who used to be the VP of Operations at Bay 101. https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/25/jay-paul-talks-about-downtown-san-jose-and-its-potential-as-a-tech-magnet-one-on-one-interview/, yeah the slash and displace Jay Paul of the Google Jay Pauls. Shes looking for a different solution to homelessness with a lot more coordination between the county and state. If he implemented those ideas, they were all horribly bad ideas just looking at the results after 8 years. Check her out. says, there is no other local media source that puts the data together this way. Several politicos previously said theyd run to lead San Jose, but noteveryone qualifiedor even submitted theirpaperworkto continue their bids. Without their millions. In fact, it should be illegal for anyone outside of the state health agency to make health mandates and even that should only be allowed under extremely extraordinary circumstances like dead bodies are piling up on sidewalks. This is your newsroom. San Jose City Hall is pictured in this file photo. 0 In the general election, state representative Celia Israel and former mayor Kirk Watson took the first two spots, leading realtor Jennifer Virden and several other candidates. Housing and food must be a top priority as we find solutions to rapidly transition away from fossil fuels. Why is that even part of the article? Peralez terms out next year and is running for mayor. 549 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<9808E0834B889E43AFB13EFCA6B4C310>]/Index[525 38]/Info 524 0 R/Length 114/Prev 319707/Root 526 0 R/Size 563/Type/XRef/W[1 3 1]>>stream One of the most highly-anticipated and contested council races is the fight for the East San Jose seat in District 5. SAN JOSE, Calif. Currently, a Santa Clara County supervisor, Chavez has received endorsements from a handful of prominent state politicians. For the last two years, our City Council or Board of Supervisors didnt stand up for the residents of San Jose and let one unelected individual close down our city and tell people how they had to live their lives, Spence told San Jos Spotlight. San Jose is 38% Asian and we dont have any Asians on the City Council. The race to replace Mayor Sam Liccardo, who terms out at the end of the year, continues to be the most heated and costly contestthe two runoff candidates have collectively raised more than $4.5 million since last December. Your email address will not be published. As of October, special interest groups have kicked in $4.4 million to boost their preferred candidate. hbbd```b``N+1d L`0[LK[4`6+0 "H XD&ODfPDg` c^ And were here to provide it. I represent a different side of municipal governance. Check out Bay Area safety tracker, Tracking the drought: Map shows conditions across SF Bay Area, Bay Area Life; Sundays at 6:30 p.m. on ABC7, Live updates on national races, balance of power, How San Jose mayoral candidates plan to take action for future of nation's 10th largest city, Election results for key races across Bay Area, CA, CA proposition results: From abortions to electric vehicles, here's what's projected to pass or fail, Election results 2022: Key takeaways and race results so far; House, Senate control unclear, 2022 Midterm California Election Results: Who won governor race, propositions, Election Maps: Senate and House balance of power, governors races, California overview, Here are the candidates who will make history with projected midterm election wins, 5 baseless 2022 election conspiracy theories, fact-checked, Slavery rejected in some, not all, states where on ballot in 2022 election, Abortion law: Rights protected in Michigan, California, Vermont, Live ballot tracker: Find out how many ballots have been returned in California by county. San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo has termed out of office and waiting in the wings to replace him are seven candidates four of whom currently serve in local government and are considered top candidates. This is your newsroom. Peter was the most prepared and answered every question on a timely matter. Jonathan Esteban, a former congressional candidate with eyes on the mayors seat, also dropped out of the race after failing to collect enough signatures for his nomination. VIDEO: San Jose mayoral race still too close to call. ", RELATED: DA races in Alameda, Contra Costa counties could have historic outcomes. LGk2]jg_;z@K[Cmr##,$XVLb #XBT1f R3 The two candidates, Cindy Chavez and Matt Mahan have collectively raised a whopping $8.5 million. Im not sure Id read too much into the Sam endorsement. The primary elections for the Republican. Seems like she will actually represent. The Liccardo endorsement means Liccardo-connected $, and that means more of the same. Dont look at Candidates based on money raised but look up every candidate and see what they have done and are doing. I think its a best of the worst scenario. Maybe someone trying to confuse D3 voters? As Matt says, use your common sense and vote for the Candidate who we know has a life long track record of accomplishments, from free Health Care for Children in Santa Clara County, to supporting Domestic violence victims, to creating a program working with the D.A. The others were just reading odd some prompt and some didnt even care. Chavez was unavailable for an in-person interview on Wednesday, but released a statement in response to the updated election data. WebThe city of San Jose, California, held general elections for mayor and city council on November 8, 2022. Clearly the only valid choice. San Jose and Santa Clara have deteriorated in blight, homelessness and living costs ( costs that include frequently raising taxes and fees ) and has not shown any reduction of these problems. She headed the South Bay Labor Council. Mr. Bonilla and I have already discussed this issue and I explained my position from a Community Leaders point of view. Jim Beall is a former Member of the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors and currently represents the 15th Senate District, which encompasses the South Bay and Silicon Valley. Chavez, who has served on the Board of Supervisors since 2013, has the longest political tenure of anyone in the field. SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Registrar of Voter offices in all Bay Area counties are busy processing, sorting, and counting every single ballot from Tuesday's midterm elections. Good ideas but youre a day late and dollar short. Foley, who edged out local school board trustee Kalen Gallagher in 2018, touts her track record of supporting public safety causes through her work with Vision Zero and increasing funding for police and fire departments. We have also watched her as time & time again she fights against the displacement of any business or resident in San Jose and is against higher taxes. Im interested in someone fresh and free of the same old failed agenda. Follow the money: Silicon Valleys 2022 general election, Silicon Valley labor leaders endorse some, snub others, Top lobbyists give the max to most San Jose mayoral candidates, Mahan still leads in fundraising for San Jose mayoral race, the endorsement of Silicon Valley Biz PAC, Helen Chapman fights to save San Joses open space, Bejarano: Why I quit my East San Jose school board, Out of work: Beloved San Jose reverend faces uphill climb, Silicon Valley students stranded by shuttered schools, San Jose legislator wants to raise foster age. Smith has lived in the downtown area since 1989, according to her campaign website. Cindys fundraising report shows that she received $1400 from Le Bail Bonds on 9/21. Nguyen hopes to be a voice for the Asian community in San Jose, as she wants to address homelessness and revitalize small businesses in East San Jose. Peralez is weak. Incumbent Councilmember Maya Esparza is fighting to keep her seat in District 7, as San Jose Fire Captain Bien Doan is also vying for the seat. If you want another union activist, vote for Chavez. Matt Mahan, the brilliant Candidate for Mayor doesnt know the difference between employee classification of volunteers, and paid staff or staff paid under the table? Smith recently won the endorsement of Silicon Valley Biz PAC, while Omar Torressecured the support of the Santa Clara County Democratic Partyand South Bay Labor Council. Whats the trade-off? Davis worked for 12 years as an education researcher at Stanford University. He pled guilty and paid a $1 million fine (no jail time). Kevin Jensen and former Palo Alto Police Chief Robert Jonsen beat out three other candidates and are facing off in the November election. We couldnt agree with you more. Health care professional and former congressional candidate Ivan Torres, attorney Elizabeth Chien-Hale, San Jose-Evergreen Community College board member Omar Torres and business owner Irene Smith have already declared for the seat. Lets not forget: If you will recall, Ann Ravel spoke out against the recall of Judge Aaron Persky. `YD NyX$8}P0-x- The districts incumbent, Vice Mayor Chappie Jones, terms out next year. Whats next for the former Frys HQ in San Jose? Please get out and Vote. "After elections, elected officials have a responsibility for coming together trying to understand what the electoral is telling them, and then working together to solve problems and I am committed to focusing on the solutions we need," he said. It's a process San Jose State Political Science professor Melinda Jackson said could take up to a week to complete. It would be nice to see the totals (primary plus general) and remaining available funds. Review their words but most importantly their actions. Nguyen and husband Thuan Nguyen ran the Vietnamese American Chamber of Commerce of Santa Clara Valley, according toa report by the Silicon Valley Business Journal. Like Irene Smith, she is also independent of Labor and Mayor Liccardo. Whats next for the former Frys HQ in San Jose? Now, theyre spending $720,000 on Cindy Chavez!! Snyders Facebook campaign page is light on details, but shes been a force in downtown for years. He doesnt know how city government works and he didnt seem to realize it was voters who voted to have a salary setting Board determine salaries for the Mayor and Council, didnt seem to know really much about how a city government works. Jim Spence, you have my interest! We say, Follow the associations.. Shame on him for throwing the homeowner under the bus after charging him under market rate rent for 6+ years and for news agencies for not doing their research. Theres no spending limits for independent expenditures and PACs running political ads in support of or against candidates. Cindy Chavez, Dev Davis, Matt Mahan and Raul Peralez (left As San Jose's mayoral race remains tight, elections officials say an automatic recount could be triggered by 25 votes separating the two candidates. Incumbent Councilmember Maya Esparza, former director of Destination: Homes homeless veterans campaign, will face two Vietnamese Americans for the East San Jose seat: San Jose Fire Captain Bien Doan and East Side Union High School District Board President Van Le. As I reach the end of my first term, I realize that my work is not yet finished, Foley said in her candidate statement. Mahan also worked for Jim Beall (Democrat). Dear Vote, It was gratifying that when his supporter put out the Hit Piece on me she was hammered by others in the Community. By Wednesday, the race remained too close to call. San Jos Spotlight is the citys first nonprofit, community-supported digital news organization. However the mayoral race shakes out, the City of San Jose is set to see big changes in leadership come January 2023. You are 100% correct about Peralez. Community leader is a bit of a stretch, isnt it? I want to serve the people, Nguyen told San Jos Spotlight. Do they want to control San Jose City Council, the same as they do the City of Santa Clara Council? Candidates can choose to increase contributions to $610 per person, but that puts a spending limit on their campaigns. The last of the four-front runners is San Jose city council member Raul Peralez, endorsed by four other current San Jose City Council members. That'll be priority number one for me.". Theres been an enormous spike in homeless numbers. Perhaps we should be concerned about that connection and what the payback is for the $720,000. One of labors most seasoned insiders, she was a vocal leader in the fight to close Reid-Hillview Airport amid concerns that leaded fuel was poisoning the community. Mahan is endorsed by Liccardo. Peter is asking for our Votes. End of an era: San Jose antique shops could disappear, Robes, candles and chants: South Bay official in hot water over religious ceremony, UPDATE: East San Jose school district chooses a new trustee. I do not feel safe crossing the streets in my residential/commercial neighborhood at the eastern edge of the Rose Garden Neighborhood (I was raised near the poorly-designed intersection of Stockton Ave. and Taylor St., the site of my fathers 2017 hospitalization following a vehicle making a left turn into my father on his bike in the crosswalk and numerous other crashes and injuries). Web2022 November Candidate Statements for Review. Dear Community, The three other candidates include James Spence, a retired police sergeant, and students Travis Hill and Marshall Allen Woodmansee. Planning Commissioner Justin Lardinois was the first candidate to declare for the West San Jose seat in April. Youd be surprised how many SCC voters pick a candidate based on the relative number of signs they see. I am honored to represent the interests of so many now that Estaban, who originally positioned himself as the climate action candidate is no longer in the race. She is moderate and free from the political machines. The rankings should be by actual donations. Whats next for the former Frys HQ in San Jose? Retired San Jose police officer Jim Spence, college student Marshall Allen Woodmansee and student Travis Nicholas Hill also qualified for the race recently. I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. MLK Jr. That applies to everyone. In fact, one needs only to look at his record his solution to everything is to create a task force. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/55-Indicted-In-Probe-of-Card-Clubs-Extortion-2761706.php, Hai Huynh, who is responsible for day-to-day operations at Bay 101, is charged with loansharking, threatening and intimidating witnesses, ordering an assault and of having links to organized crime, according to court papers. Councilmember Magdalena Carrasco terms out at the end of this year. Services should be for everyone not just .. by ethnicity. I fixed it for you. Services should be for everyone not just the privileged. Another contender is Brian Smith, a political unknown who lives in East San Jose. 2). Bonilla, a former City Hall insider, created a grant program in February to help East San Jose small businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic. The people stealing signs recognize this fact. Get San Jos Spotlight headlines delivered to your inbox. "We've seen an increase in crime, people don't feel safe in their own community, there's been a real lack of accountability on that front," Mahan said. I agree fully and admire the importance of having diverse viewpoints in this mayoral race. San Jose will also elect representatives for three council seatsDistricts 3, 5, and 7which could potentially shake up the longstanding power split between business interests and labor unions on the city council. Guadalupe Gonzalez President Half of the City Councils seats all the odd districts are up for election this cycle. Cindy Chavez, Dev Davis, Matt Mahan and Raul Peralez (left to right) are running to become the next mayor of San Jose in the June 2022 primary race. Shell probably will be forced to retire next year to avoid prosecution. Mayor Next years biggest prize already has four big-name candidates in the race: Councilmembers Dev Davis, Matt Mahan and Raul Peralez and Santa Clara County Liccardo and Mahan do have things in common: Esteban is now throwing his support behind Councilmember Raul Peralez. A primary was scheduled for June 7, 2022. SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- It's the eve of election day and ABC7 is hearing from the four front-runners vying to lead the Bay Area's most populous city. So, Cindy got more money from the 49ers, which is owned by the DeBartolo family! Same goes for Chavez. Either produce results or cut the funding! He has the endorsement of The Mercury News. He helped launch a business recovery task force to help downtown businesses weather the pandemic. In the race to become San Joses next mayor, candidates look to shed labels The election is still eight months away, but its shaping up to be a competitive battle Cindy Our city has some big challenges.". Let me guess. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); In less than two weeks, Silicon Valley voters will have their say on several key county positions, four San Jose City Council seats and three Santa Clara City Council posts as the November election draws close. File photo. Iam a democrat from Almaden, (not far right as you painted Almaden), we like Matt Mahan and he has delivered for us in D10. The first round of results showed Chavez with about 40% of votes, compared to Mahan's 32%. hb```f`` B@1Vl +,u|U$q`YD NyX$8}P0-x- Get San Jos Spotlight headlines delivered to your inbox. Former Assemblymember Nora Campos faces off Santa Clara County Board of Education President Peter Ortiz for the seat. We KNOW for a fact Liccardo has a PAC or 2 supporting Mahan. How safe is your neighborhood? Linden declared his candidacy last month. Your Liccardo comment is a good one and makes me think back to Sam. Three longtime politicians have already declared for the East San Jose crown: Santa Clara County Board of Education Trustee Peter Ortiz, Planning Commission Chair Rolando Bonilla, and former Assemblymember Nora Campos, who held the seat from 2001 to 2010. Meanwhile, Mahan, who joined the San Jose City Council in 2020, is. Cindy Chavez, President of the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors (2020-present), former vice mayor of San Jose (2005-2007), former San Jose city councilmember for District 3 (1998-2006), and candidate for mayor in 2006 (Democratic) Copyright 2023 KGO-TV. %%EOF | All donations are tax-deductible. Unlike Smith, she is willing to speak out on this most critical of issues. Gildersleeve, who has unsuccessfully run in a number of local and state campaigns since 2014, said hes spent nearly two decades working with the poor, elderly and disabled community as a paratransit operator. The race for San Jose mayor is the most contestedand expensivecompetition this election. endstream endobj startxref We heard and saw it with our own eyes and ears. The top county law enforcement job is also open, with incumbent Sheriff Laurie Smith not seeking reelection. document.getElementById( "ak_js_4" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_5" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_6" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); San Jos residents deserve a trusted source for unbiased, independent political news. Snyder, who used to be a flight attendant for American Airlines, has served asvice chair of the District 1 Leadership Group, chair of the District 1 Decides Participatory Budgeting Committee and chair of the San Jose Arts Commission for several years. San Jose State University political science professor Melinda Jackson says California didn't have too many surprises in the first batch of election results Tuesday night, such as Governor Newsom's win and Proposition 1 passing. One of the most highly-anticipated council races is the fight for the East San Jose seat. Are you saying all the other D3 candidates are in it for the wrong reasons ? My search for truth starts in the comments section. endstream endobj 526 0 obj <. This article was published September 30, 2022. Mahan is as slimy as Liccardo. We have zero idea what kind of Councilman Mahan will make much less Mayor. Chahal is being challenged by retired engineer Larry McColloch. With Mayor Sam Liccardo terming out after eight years, the citys top seat is up for grabswith at least eight candidates on the ballot in June. The current councilman said he's optimistic, but understands about 50% of ballots have yet to be counted. "However this plays out, I'm gonna be on the city council and I wanna be part of the process of bringing people together to lead our city forward," Mahan told ABC7 News reporter Amanda del Castillo in a sit down interview on Wednesday. Not liking a candidate doesnt mean they are infiltrating our process. So we're still processing a lot of ballots.". Mahan, who was sworn into his first term of any political office in December 2020, launched his campaign for mayor in September in what he called a revolution of common sense. Part of that revolution includes building up to 5,000 prefab units on 50 acres of public land, improving policing by holding rogue officers accountable for misconduct instead of defunding police and building housing around transit. ), and more, .Matt Mahan is not from a privileged background. [6] District 1 [ edit] Republican Doug LaMalfa, who has represented the district since 2013, was re-elected with 62.1% of the vote in 2022. Looks fishy to me. "This is a big transition, you're right," Mahan said. That will give the next Mayor ten years. Liccardo, former attorney in the DAs office. Shes made preserving these suburban neighborhoods a cornerstone of her campaign. *Something is fishy about how Spotlight is reporting these numbers. Matts behavior is consistent with his business supporters, Related construction, who wants to skirt minimum and prevailing wage laws. After coasting to victory in 2018,incumbent Pam Foley officially announced her run for reelection on Thursday. ", RELATED: CA audit examines bias within SJPD, other law enforcement agencies. "When you work really hard for something, it's very easy to feel let down when things don't go exactly the way you wanted them to, but the thing I know - and this may be age, it may be experience - that every single time we move people forward, you make a change that's meaningful to someone," she said.