Curley's wife tells Lennie of her life and her missed opportunity to travel with the show that came through her hometown. She doesn't have a good relationship with her husband. This one dream has influenced George by so much that it began to take most of his freedom, and in the process, becoming an aspect of his life. When Lennie started touching her hair, she got upset and started screaming. This also shows that George could have had a good life, even a better life if his dream of being able to take care of Lennie did not become a burden upon himself and influenced his life so greatly. "You are nuts , but you kinda nice Lennie is crying because he has killed his puppy. to led, and that she is not happy in an unfulfilling relationship What does Lennie think of Curley? What is Curley's wife's dream in Of Mice and Menby John Steinbeck. Lennie responds absently with concern about his dream farm and the rabbits he will have. Curley's wife enters the barn and asks Lennie what he has. Multiple time throughout the book she is insulted by the men, who call her things such as a tramp, or a tart. Not affiliated with Harvard College. Curley's wife regrets marrying her husband and strives for attention by flirting with the workers on the ranch. We are mapping the world's opinions to help improve civil discourse. Both of them start to talk, and Curley's wife launches into a discussion of her own failed dreams. To make up for her misery and loneliness, she tries to connect with other people, but finds herself thwarted at every turn. She consoles him, and starts to talk. Home | About | Contact | Copyright | Report Content | Privacy | Cookie Policy | Terms & Conditions | Sitemap. Lennie repeats George's instructions that he is not to talk to her. As Lenny sits in the barn staring at the dead pup he did not mean to kill, Curleys wife comes in and sympathises with Lenny. He is mad at the puppy because it died and he throws the puppy at the wall. Candy asserts that he and George can still have their farm, but George realizes that it will never happen. He keeps repeating "she's purty." George is not being deliberately hurtful to his friend, however, he simply sees the danger that the two interacting could pose. Lennie, who gets frightened and uses his strength to hold on to objects, is just like a child. Georges caring nature makes him a good friend because it shows that he is willing to protect Lennie when hes in trouble. When Lennie realizes that she is dead, he panics and paws the hay to partially cover her. When Lennie explains that he likes to pet soft things, Curley's wife reveals that she too likes to feel silk and velvet, and she invites him to feel her hair, which is very soft. and any corresponding bookmarks? Being the only woman on the farm and her past, resulted in her being depressed and lonely. She lies dead on the hay. Do Men Still Wear Button Holes At Weddings? The novella contains many iconic characters that serve as a metaphor to our societal standards. Her death at Lennie's hands means the end of George and Lennie's companionship and their dream. He grabs a hold of her hair and muffles her screams. What are two examples showing how Lennie is discriminated against because of his disability in the book Of Mice and Men? Accessed 4 Mar. Curley's wife is a critical character in Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. But was she? Lennie experiences two visions in this last scene. First, Curley's wife insists on talking with Lennie even after he warns her that he ain't supposed to because George's scared [he'll] get in trouble. Then Curley's wife invites Lennie to pet her soft hair, but when he gets too rough, she jerked her head sideways, and Lennie's fingers closed on her hair and hung on . George considers what will happen to Lennie: They could lock Lennie up, but he'd starve, and people would be mean to him. DEROGATORY depiction of Curley's wife by Curley., Characterisation of Curley's wife is based on her appearance . 490 Words. Curley's wife says he can get another one. Who is Katy mixon body double eastbound and down season 1 finale? 2022 - 2023 Times Mojo - All Rights Reserved Notice that Lennie's face is bloody and bruised up from the fight with Curley. Study now. with Curley. person she could talk to. Curley immediately blames Lennie, saying he will go for his shotgun and shoot Lennie in the guts. He is upset at the puppy for dying. After all, Lennie is a big man, and Curly figures that fighting him will either raise his stature amongst the men. In fact, Curley's wife leads to all of the trouble Lennie has on the ranch. Lennie accidentally kills Curley's wife by shaking and breaking her neck. When Curleys wife screeches and shouts when Lenny will not let go of her hair, he shakes her violently to make her stop, yet he does, Curleys wife begins to regret living on the ranch with Curley. She is usually described as Curley's possession and is frequently objectified by the ranch hands. But in the movie she was in a very different situation. When Lennie is holding the dead puppy, he looks at it and says, You aint so little as mice. Log in here. The most ironic thing about this scene is that her death is that it is preceded by a moment of human connection. What are the 4 major sources of law in Zimbabwe. George was also influenced by his dream of protecting Lennie. Candy finds Curley's wife and runs out to find George, who, upon seeing the body, knows what happened. Curleys wife was murdered by Lennie in John Steinbecks story, Of Mice and Men. Crooks is also a lonely character he is willing to take any chance if he can make a friend, even if he knows he can't do help out. Also, she just wanted anyone who would talk to her and listen to her. when she did not receive a letter from 'producer of the movies', she tells him she lost her virginity at the age of 15. Now her rouged cheeks and her reddened lips made her seem alive and sleeping very lightly. It's her fault Curley enters the bunkhouse when Lennie crushes the small man's hand. George goes to the bunkhouse. My feelings about her throughout the book did not change, I didnt like her at all from the beginning. George realizes that if the other men were to find Lennie alive they would have tortured him. George says, She yells and we got to hide in an irrigation ditch all day with guys lookin for us, and we gotta sneak out in the dark and get outta the country (13). Lennie repeats George's instructions that he is not to talk to her. This dream comes to a screeching halt when Lennie kills the boss's son's wife. Why did curley's wife rush to marry curley? < (1 of 2) Next argument > The Argument The death of Curley's wife sets off a chain reaction for the events that close out "Of Mice and Men". One is Aunt Clara who scolds Lennie for letting George down and not listening to him. fella". Of Mice And Men Curley's Wife Character Analysis. Lennie kills Curley's wife completely by accident. A stomach wound results in a most painful death. What happens as a result? The death of Curley's wife sets off a chain reaction for the events that close out "Of Mice and Men". Lennie's actions often create trouble, especially because he doesn't understand the consequences of the decisions he has made. Curley's wife basically confided the future she would have liked When looked at more in depth, Curleys Wife can be seen as a victimized character. Why do George and candy give up on their dream Why cant they accomplish it without Lennie? She is painted as an emotionless tramp who is looking to get with anyone she can. Worried that George will find out and won't let him tend the rabbits, Lennie buries the dead pup in the hay and says that he will claim to have found it dead. He doesn't mean to do it; as always with Lennie, he doesn't . More books than SparkNotes. Following his comment, Curley's wife chatters on, explaining more about her lost chance to become an actress and how she met Curley. He does not take responsibility for being too rough with the puppy and begins to worry about Georges reaction. How are Lennies two visions indicative of his childlike innocence? Candy Candy comes into the barn to talk to Lennie and finds Curley's wife. What are the Physical devices used to construct memories? He says I could go with that show. My opinion towards Curleys Wife, is that she can be a little too flirty at times. Curley objectifies his wife by threatening the other men, monitoring her movements, and dismissing her individual needs. He was her friend because Curley never spend time with her and that times women were treted not as they are treated now .She treated him as if he was her closest friend ,but Lennie was warried. Who is Katy mixon body double eastbound and down season 1 finale? Steinbeck's initial portrayal of Curley's wife shows her to be a mean and seductive temptress. Curly's wife does not have a name in the story. How Did Critics React to Of Mice and Men? In the first chapter of Of Mice and Men, what does George say to Lennie about how his life could be better without him? In killing Lennie, George loses both a friend and a representation of his dreams. What did curley's wife confide in Lennie? Curleys wife states I tell you I aint used to livin like this, I coulda made somethin of myself. (Steinbeck 88). According to the text All the time he coulda had such a good time if it wasnt for you. Curly's wife married him because she wanted to escape her mother. The death of Curley's wife is ultimately unimportant to the novel's outcome since it is clear that George and Lennie were never going to achieve the American dream and live on a farm of their own. Her main reason is because her husband doesn't allow her to be social. Georges actions in the end of the book results in him murdering Lennie. This is largely due to his intellectual disability, which makes it difficult for him to understand other people or anticipate the consequences of his actions. For example, in Of Mice and Men George tells Lennie, No, Lennie. He shakes her violently, telling her to keep quiet so that George doesn't hear her. Curley's wife is a. She tries talking to Lennie, Crooks, and Candy, but they want her to leave. On page 98 Curley says Hes got Carlsons Luger. Before he knows it, he has broken her neck. 2023 Course Hero, Inc. All rights reserved. When George claims that they might find Lennie first and bring him in and lock him up, Slim explains that Curley will want to kill him, and even if he doesn't, how would Lennie like being locked up and strapped down like an animal in a cage? from your Reading List will also remove any The movie made you look at her in a different light. Curley's wife is depicted as a manipulator and a temptress throughout Of Mice and Men. 2023 eNotes.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Essential Quotes by Character: Lennie Small. The death of Curley's wife comes as a tragic result of Lennie's ignorance of his strength. companionshipt with Lennie. When George Killed Lennie Is Wrong 758 Words | 4 Pages. George and Candy call her by other names such as "jailbait" or "tart." Lennie is fascinated by her and cannot take his eyes off her. More books than SparkNotes. She is defined by her role: Curley's wife or possession. Why was the decision Roe v. Wade important for feminists? I could go get a job an' work, an' no trouble. How does George feel after killing Lennie? However, right before and after her death, we see a softer woman who was a dreamer, and still retained her innocence. In the barn scene, however, Steinbeck softens the reader's reaction to Curley's wife by exploring her dreams. Lennie feels guilty about the death of Curleys wife. Curly's wife has many reasons for being lonely. He then, at her invitation, starts stroking her hair, commenting "that's nice," before he accidentally breaks her neck after she starts screaming when he strokes too hard. Now George has no dream, and he will end up working like the other ranch hands and spending his money in a poolroom or "some lousy cat house.". Copyright 1999 - 2023 GradeSaver LLC. George decides to end Lennie's life while describing their dream homestead one last time . Lennie is responsible for killing Curley's wife because he did it. Both of them start to talk, and Curley's wife launches into a discussion of her own failed . Lennie becomes angry with Curley's wife because he is afraid she will tell the other men that he touched her and he will get in trouble. Describe Curley's wife. George has no responsibility to take care of Lennie, yet George is willing to do anything for Lennie. In the movie version she was a damsel in distress. Curley's wife is the only female character who is directly featured in the novel. In the John Steinbeck novel of Mice and Men, everyone is lonely and will try or do anything to stop being lonely. Enjoy eNotes ad-free and cancel anytime. This adds extreme tension to the story. George has lied about the Luger because he has taken it; he does not want to admit this act as the men will believe he is involved in Curleys wifes death and hurt him, too, and he will not be able to accompany the men and intercede for Lennie when they find him, or to take action on his own. How I first felt about her in chapter 2 is that, I thought she was kind of bossy and I honestly knew that I was going to hate her. George slapped Lennie in the face repeatedly and still Lennie held on. George had a different idea for Lennie. The death of Curley's wife is also symbolically important and represents the futility of dreams. When Lennie first sees Curley's Wife, he comments that she is pretty, or "purty." Following his comment, Curley's wife chatters on, explaining more about her lost chance to become an actress and how she met Curley. Who scolds Lennie after he kills Curleys wife? He does, but his big, clumsy fingers start to mess it up, and she angrily tells him to let go. If George and Lennie hadnt run away, Lennie could have suffered a terrible fate. And also because she could be doing better in her life instead of sitting around being bored and only being able to associate with Curley. Lennie tried to tell her to stop and she would not. Lennie tries not to be drawn into a conversation with Curley's Wife, and tells her it's because "George says you'll get us in a mess." Every character takes the opportunity to not be lonely even if they know that they're going to get hurt. Curley's wife, like the other players in the drama, is simply a character type and the only woman in the plot. George again shows that he is caring when George encourages, In the novella of Mice And Men, although the men on the ranch are threatened by and, Lennie is in many ways helpless and does not know how to care for himself. This basically proves and enforces the reality that Lennie influences almost every part of Georges life. As the story continues, there are many hidden indications that she could be seen as a much simpler, innocent presence, rather than an evil. A struggle ensues Lennie panicking and Curley's wife's eyes "wild with terror" until her body flops "like a fish" and then she is still. Lennie becomes so angry that he hurls the dead puppy across the barn. She wasnt aware that being friendly and kind would take a turn for the worse. Even Lennie is guilty of crimes and petty cruelty, and no one is above being awful to others. George and Lennies dream is impossible once Lennie has killed Curleys wife. Curley, carrying a shotgun, tells Carlson to take Crooks' shotgun, and the men leave, taking George with them to find Lennie. On page 90, Curley's wife said When I do my hair sometimes, I jus set an stroke it cause its so soft. To show this she did it, she ran her fingers over the top of her head. Lennie accidentally kills Curley's wife by shaking and breaking her neck. What happened to Lennie's puppy? Her "best laid plans" involved a stint in the movies with all the benefits, money, and pleasure that would provide. 2 Pages. When Lennie is first introduced to Curley's wife, he notices that she is pretty, and stares at her, which satisfies her longing for attention: "Lennie's eyes moved down over her body, and though she did not seem to be looking at Lennie she bridled a little" (31). Eventually, she brings about the end of the dream of Eden, the little farm where George and Lennie can live off the fat of the land. Lennie responds absently with concern about his dream farm and the rabbits he will have. They treat her wrong because in this novella they only calls her Curleys wife they never called her by her name so no one will ever know what it was. Best summary PDF, themes, and quotes. What happened to Lennies puppy? I aint mad, an I aint now. Lennie fails to understand her at all, however, as he continues to return to the dilemma of the dead puppy and his anxiety over being denied the right to tend the rabbits. Already a member? She knows she can get Lennie to talk with her while the other men are playing games outside. Immediately after killing Curley's wife, Lennie travels back to his hidden meeting spot by the river and waits for George while Curley leads a lynch mob after him. She is extremely lonely and views Curley as mean-spirited. Removing #book# Why does Lennie become angry with Curley's wife? Latest answer posted December 31, 2020 at 3:22:45 PM. Since Lennie did something to Curley's wife, and his hand Curley had the motivation to shoot him, and make him suffer. What is are the functions of diverse organisms? and any corresponding bookmarks? The four people responsible for Lennies death are George, Curleys wife, Lennie, and Curley. After Curley finds out that his wife has died, he becomes determined to kill Lennie gruesomely for revenge. George is immediately alarmed by this, and with uncharacteristic vehemence, he instructs Lennie to stay away from her. She is portrayed, like the girl in Weed, as a liar and manipulator of men. She believes that there is both a lack of reason to truly hate this woman, and the undeniable urge to do so. I myself find Curley 's wife to be a bit misunderstood. I mean not the way she died, but I was glad it happened because like I said before I hated her, because she always caused trouble and never, In the novel Of Mice and Men, it strongly sets a devastating scene towards the end, yet what was done was necessary. I chose Curley, George, and Curleys wife , because I thought they were the most interesting characters in this book. Without Lennie, George cannot envision himself carrying on, and he realises that the dream was never really possible. Is Lennie guilty of killing Curleys wife? Therefore, Curley's wife's death is not crucial to the plot. He was scared that George would get mad at him and not let him tend the rabbits. Curleys wife is introduced just like any other; however, the emphasis on her feminine features are metaphoric to where women stand in society. eNotes.com will help you with any book or any question. What happened to lennies puppy? How Did George Kill Lennie's Death In Of Mice And Men. . 2023 Course Hero, Inc. All rights reserved. The fact that Lennie anticipates the same pattern this time is indicative of his childlike innocence. Decent Essays. After she became mad about her hair being messed up, she began to yell and Lennie thought she was going to get him in trouble. A struggle ensues Lennie panicking and Curley's wife's eyes "wild with terror" until her body flops "like a fish" and then she is still. 2023. Who are the experts?Our certified Educators are real professors, teachers, and scholars who use their academic expertise to tackle your toughest questions. As she tries to get her hair away from Lennie, he becomes scared and holds on more tightly. But my ol lady wouldn 't, Tart, Tramp, trouble, Bitch, are just some of the names given to Curley 's wife, who is never given a name in the entire book. The swamper says that Curley keeps a glove full of Vaseline on it to keep his hand "soft" for his new wife. George helps him by giving him short commands and telling him to repeat things to himself to remember things. Wiki User. What is are the functions of diverse organisms? And then about a year later when Lennie accidentally killed Curleys wife, the whole farm was after him. Lennie had to be killed because he didnt know his own strength. Indeed, the gentle giant's final downfall is caused because of the vain wife. In the depression stricken 1930's, George Milton and Lennie Smalls are saving money until they can buy their dream homestead. When Slim asks George where Lennie might be, George tells Slim Lennie would have gone south (knowing all along that the little pool is north of the ranch). curley's wife tells Lennie that "You are nuts , but you kinda nice fella". treated him as if he was her closest friend ,but Lennie was warried Lennie is certainly strong; in the very opening of the book he is described as a bear and is constantly referred to in animal terms. He is worried that he won't be able to tend te rabbits. Of Mice And Men Curley's Wife Lonely 878 Words | 4 Pages. [P2] The death serves as a reminder of the incredible strength Lennie had and shows how he (tragically) misused it. Curley's wife did not know that day in the barn would be her last. I chose Curley for no empathy because, Curley didnt care about anyone except for his wife, and I think that Curley didnt even care about her wife, it was just lust. See answer (1) Copy. Being the only woman on the farm and her past, resulted in her being depressed and lonely. Lennie, however, is still trying to figure out how to get rid of the dead pup so that George won't know. She starts talking to Lennie and then lets him touch her hair because it is soft. He tells Candy to give him a minute to go to the bunkhouse before telling the other men; then George will come along as though he had not already seen Curley's wife. Why does Curley's wife offer to let Lennie pet her hair? Lennie observes that he has "done a bad thing" (100) and covers her body with hay. Once Curley sees his dead wife, he says he will shoot Lennie in the guts. Curley's wife tells Lennie that she only married Curley because she didn't want to stay in a place where she couldn't get anywhere, and she doesn't even like Curley, and she chose to confide in Lennie because she thinks he's not one to tell for fear that it he does he will get in trouble with George. He thinks that killing the puppy has more consequences. In Chapter 5, Lennie is sitting alone until Curleys wife enters. Why does George kill Lennie in Of Mice and Men? In Chapter Five, Curley's wife enters the barn in a dress decorated with red ostrich feathers. Character Analysis Some people have coarse hair. She said this, not knowing that Lennie likes to pet soft things. Open Document. Carlson, Whit, Curley, and Crooks come back in the barn with Candy and, following them, George. He will do whatever George tells him to: "Curley was flopping like a fish on a line, and his closed fist was lost in Lennie's hand". https://velvetblory.co.uk/post/11076202092/steinbecks-letter. For example, he also said, I could. Lennies death paralleled Candys dogs death because they were both considered burdens. The protagonists of the novella, George and Lennie, are heading to work at a ranch after fleeing from their last job.. Shortly after having thrown the puppy, Lennie picks it up again, stroking it and deciding that maybe George won't care. He shakes her violently, telling her to keep quiet so that George doesn't hear her. He was willing to lie about being Lennies cousin to get him a job. Curley's wife is terribly lonely. When Lennie started touching her hair, she got upset and started screaming. She screamed, and he grabbed her, telling her to be quiet. When she continues to struggle, Lennie grows angry. Curley's wife angrily asks him why he is so obsessed with rabbits, and Lennie thoughtfully replies that he likes to pet nice things. Lennie's puppy died because he handled it too roughly; he killed it. He then disappears from the barn with the dead puppy in hand. Are you sure you want to remove #bookConfirmation# Steinbeck reiterates this impression by portraying her innocence in death: Curley's wife lay with a half-covering of yellow hay. Let us know your assignment type and we'll make sure to get you exactly the kind of answer you need. A teacher walks into the Classroom and says If only Yesterday was Tomorrow Today would have been a Saturday Which Day did the Teacher make this Statement? As a result, he broke her neck. Curley's wife comes by the bunkhouse and does a bit of flirting with George, Lennie, and any other males within viewing range.