A third group to be given dinner was the crowd of Negros from nearby plantations who had gathered at the scene of the barbecue, probably drawn there by the smell of meats and stew as it was cooked in the open. THE OAKS PLANTATION Colbert County, Alabama . Moriah Baptist Church, located on the Wilcox and Butler County border. Greek Revival plantation house, built for John Robert McDowell in 1855. Both are buried in Bear Creek Church Cemetery. There is, therefore, no discharge in the Christian warfare. Many were wealthy slaveholders and planters. Help us grow our membership and take pride in the history of Wilcox County. Jane Shelton Dale shares that soon after this letter was written her Daddy went to Columbia University and received a Masters in Chemistry and taught in Birmingham and Atlanta before WWII. My Uncle Bob Coats married Hattie McLeod from Camden. There are two tickets this year. Beautiful homes were built and large plantations established, many of which are still owned and maintained by descendants of the original owners. This kept up for a number of years, the whole town taking part in it. In 1958, Mrs. Dumas came to Birmingham to live with her daughter, Mrs. Robert L. Wheaten, and Mrs. Wheaten, at 6620 Third Ave., North, where she died Monday. She would be amazed today and by bearing her name (and I cherish this) I am proud to be a member. It was one of only six Wallace counties[a] to vote for George McGovern against Richard Nixons 3,000-plus-county landslide of 1972. She lived to see the fifth generation of her offspring. There are also 9 RV sites with full hook-up & WIFI, plus excellent cell service. Nine children survive and a number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Your potential tax deduction is based on the stated value for goods or services provided. My Wilcox County roots go back to 1824 when Wiley Grimes first appeared in public records for his marriage to his first wife, Elizabeth Coleson. Cannon, who was a German sympathizer. Kedar made sure his children received the best education. Thank you. nsanedayne, Monroeville, AL, You all really out did yourselves! Individually, with others, and through the Oakleigh Venture Revolving Fund he restored dozens of structures in Mobile. The original part of the house will be put back as close to period as possible and the addition will be updated. Join us for the annual Christmas Open House in Furman at Historic Wakefield which will be photographed December 78, for Victoria Magazines 2022 Christmas Issue. Tickets will be available on Eventbrite.com starting September 1. Even the first year of the Club a reading circle was formed and as many books bought as there were members of the club. Liberty Hall Bed & Breakfast SOLD OUT, 2. The information about the Wilcox Female Institute at Camden was taken from Mrs. M.E. But perhaps the greatest giant of all the wonder, life-giving giant of water dozed and lazed leisurely on and on until the need for power and more power, mechanical and electrical, prodded him into flexing his muscles, first in the northern part of the state, then in the east and west, and at last in the south-central portion particularly in Wilcox County when on April 15, 1963, Millers Ferry Lock and Dam and power house were begun. In the establishment of the library, we thank all the members but especially Mrs. Matheson for her interest and leadership. Roy F. Bragg, principal, presented diplomas to the following: Leon Girlie, Rosa Lee Jones, Julia P. Steen, Jr., Mary Alice Jones, Gordon Strickland, Doris Ann Beard, Winston Stuart, Barbara Faye Evans, Mary Effie Griffin and Lewis Jones. The Lewis and Jenkins families buried here, about twenty-four, on Mr. John Dales land are all kin to me, with the exception of probably one. I am also related to the Blankenship and Mahan families of Wilcox County and I wanted to ask if anyone had any pictures of them or their relatives. Not only will we raise money for the WHS, but we will also generate positive public exposure for Pine Apple and Wilcox County. Cleverly designed free hand drawings, featuring relevant school and class news, editorials, sports section, quotes and of course snoops will feature the publication. And we would like to also say THANK YOU to John, Betty Kennedy and grandson, Zach Kennedy for their hospitality and work on the Jenkins Cemetery. Mortises and pegs hold the original structure together. Instruction in harp was $80.00 and in all other instruments $12.50. Alabama Map Wilcox County shown in red About Alabama Census Records The first federal census taken in Alabama was in 1830. From a lovely luncheon to an exclusive champagne adorned conversation at Wakefield, youll spend the day sharing and celebrating with Lady Carnarvon during her first visit to Alabama. Thank you to Ms. Billie Gibbs for being the first to volunteer to help this cause. The lovely and serene Rosemary Plantation sits near the Alabama River, about 10 miles northwest of Camden. The Wilcox Historical Society has been a big part of this positive change. I want to thank all the people who have helped me in my endeavor to uncover the past, including Martha Grimes Lampkin, Margaret Jane Gaston, Judy Taylor, Woody Hawthorne, Judson Hawthorne, Stacey Hathorn of the Alabama Historical Commission, and many cousins! Churches and other buildings on tour include Friendship Baptist Church, founded 1825 current building, 1948, Pine Apple Methodist Church, founded 1872 current building c. 1890, Moore Academy, founded 1882, current building 1923, Old Barn Museum, c. 1854, Roberts Log Cabin, c. 1860, moved to Pine Apple Town Park in 2008 and Matheson Library, c. 1927. We will need volunteers willing to monitor it those days. Queen Mary saw the danger of all of this on one occasion, at Herrods one of Londons most prestigious stores, Queen Mary saw the little princess wriggling and asked if she wanted to go home. She divided them into five committees and asked each committee to raise $100.00. Bryant of Canton. This cabin also has a wheelchair ramp to the main entrance. Hal attended Wilcox County schools and Auburn University, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and was a member of Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity. Easily find farms for sale in Choctaw County Alabama at FARMFLIP.com. He said he hurried back in the bank and told him They are coming this Thursday.. According to this scrapbook a copy of the deed for the Institute shows that the indenture was made and entered into June 29, 1850, transferring the property from John P. Fairley and his wife Martha Fairley and James A. Tait to L.W. J. Paul Jones, or Dr. At this meeting it was decided that the program for the first years study should be Civics. Thank you all for your support, generosity, and enthusiasm for our Historical Society. Reverend Plott Stout was the agent of the board to collect money, and Reverend J.S. Also at the reception enjoy music from Tommy Ward. Get involved and help us restore the Wilcox Female Institute! Judge Purifoy, of Furman, introduced Dr. Philip Speir, who has recently returned to Greenville, after completing medical college and hospital training to join with his father in the practice of medicine here. She was past 90. It was reprinted in the Alabama Genealogical Societys Volume 20 Nos 3 & 4, 1988 magazine, pages 109-110. Their domestic furnishings, whether elegant or humble, speak to the routines of daily life and bring places distant in time back into focus. Horace was a blacksmith and I think he had a son named Horace Carmichael that was employed by the McClure Lumber Company in Wager, Alabama prior to WWI. The towns history began circa 1802 when the first settlers came to the area from South Carolina. Registration on Saturday will be at the Furman Methodist Church. Location of Wilcox County in Alabama This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Wilcox County, Alabama . , If you are interested in submitting an article for the newsletter, please let us know! Her parents and younger brother were going west but only got to Claiborne where there was a yellow fever outbreak. The Tour this year will include the Purifoy-Lipscomb Home, c 1840; Moore-Burson-Rushing Home, c 1885; Wakefield Plantation, c 1840s; Magnolia Glen the Palmer-Barlow-Britt Home, c 1833; Laura Ann the Watson-Moorer-Tabor Home, c 1860; Rockwood the Cox-Robbins-Kennedy-Snyder Home, c 1855; Deerfield the Perdue-Williams-Estes-Suggs Home, c 1895, Fox Hill, c 1840s and Patience Plantation, c 1841. Recorded by the HABS. Eschewing fashion, Mr. Smith identifies and sensitively accentuates the natural gifts of the landscape, imparting balance, harmony and beauty in the classic tradition of Palladio, Brown, and Repton. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org In 1968 a historical marker was placed in front of this historic and beloved building through the efforts of the Wilcox County Historical Society. Laura and I contacted Don Bell to help us move the stairway out of the dogtrot. A number of my ancestors came to Alabama before the Territory became a state 1815 with James Powers, to 1816 with Richard Warren and James Steen, to 1818 with Robert Anthony Yeldell. The bank will open for business in a short while. Sedan beat which was established about the time of the battle between the Germans and French, about 1870, is located in the south western part of our county and tradition has that it was given its name by the late Capt. 1820-?, Eliza E. 1822-1858, Samuel 1826-1908, Charity Ellen 1829-1914. The animal is being prepare for mounting, it was said and will probably be placed on exhibition. bethyoder14, He delivered my mother-in-law when they lived in the cottage. Sources: www.archives.alabama.gov/conoff/purifoy.html and Descendants of John Purifoy Who Were Confederate Soldiers by Francis Marion Purifoy as published 1904 by The Alabama Historical Society. We also love receiving comments on our posts on social media. R. Bowdoin, Santa Clara, CA. Dues are renewed in January. Every time it rained there was a creek running under the house! The next concert will feature the Harvest Arts Quintet to include three string players, flute and harp. There is however considerable broken and hilly lands. The towns most notable citizens have included persons such as Elkanah Burson, an attach to General Robert E. Lee and John Purifoy, a member of Company C who later served Alabama as Secretary of State. Now supported by a growing collection of artifacts, Dr. Dumas and the University of West Alabama team are convinced they are within a few miles of finding the site of the town and the infamous battle. The large crowd was served bountifully of the barbecue dinner, and then the plantation hands were fed. We had not one, but two families contribute $10,000 each last month to start our first matching fund campaign for the Female Institutes Restoration. It was wonderful to see many of you recently at yet another fantastic Harvest Arts Concert at the Female Institute. The result for his clients are timeless gardens and landscapes. Built183056, burned1939. The Ex-King made his farewell broadcast that night which most of us remember, and I remember I cried. Email us at wilcoxhistoricalsociety@gmail.com or send via snail mail to P O Box 464, Camden, AL 36726. A battle got under way to save this beloved landmark and through the untiring efforts of several dedicated citizens, members of DAR and UDC and most especially Dr. Peter Brannon, Mr. Milo Howard of Montgomery, Judge Jas. I am reaching out for assistance. Some came by choiceseeking new business opportunities, to establish homes and familiesothers were brought with them, without choice, as property. My grandfather was born in Greenville, Alabama, my dad in Houston, and myself in California. , A memorial, birthday, anniversary or just a nice way to say thank you can be done in a donation to the Wilcox Historical Society. I remember the start of this organization around saving the Female Institute for which my grandmother Lena Tucker Miller Albritton was so dedicated! My grandmothers brother, Hunter McDuffie, married Bess Matthews in 1933 and sadly died in 1941. She will open Tour Weekend with welcome remarks followed by a traditional Southern Luncheon at historic Wakefield Plantation. Lady Carnarvon will personally sign a copy of her latest book Seasons at Highclere. Near the home, a steamboat landing known as Matties Landing named for Peter and Virginias daughter, Mattie, allowed for the transfer of freight and passengers. His family lived in the house now occupied by Mrs. John Miller. And people will come from miles around to find renewal of spirt in its thousands of acres of placid waters and evergreen play-grounds. People still gather at the cemetery on the second Friday in July each year to cut the bushes and clean off enough so that the graves are visible. These waterways gave stability to Indian life as remains of their villages, mounds, relics, artifacts and history itself indicate. Wanting and wishing, for good roads, seems to be all that is, or can be, done; and those interested in the road question, must do their own wanting and wishing. Many thanks for your gifts and continuing support! The meeting was held in Bethsaida Baptist Church (founded in 1831, present building built between 1858-1860.) We are excited to welcome the Right Honorable Countess of Carnarvon of Downton Abbeys unforgettable Highclere Castle as the Guest Speaker of our 2023 Tour of Homes in Pine Apple! The last extant brick plantation house in Wilcox County, and also one of less than a dozen brick plantation . Powell was the principal speaker, and he made a most enjoyable address, reminiscing of the days of his boyhood spent in the neighborhood where the barbecue took place. I have to thank our Vice President, Garland Smith, for meeting me in Montgomery to help pitch the concept to the Council. My friends, together we will Raise the Bell at the Institute, host another successful Tour of Homes, and together we will show a Countess what Southern Hospitality is. Mason, who has given, so far, entire satisfaction. I agree with Daniel Webster who said, He who knoweth not from whence he came, careth little whither he goeth.. Thank you for any help you can provide. The Montgomery Advertisers headlines on January 22 read Roosevelt Won by Tumultuous Welcome Here. The headline went on to read Visit Brings Largest Crowd Ever Seen In Streets; Governor Gives Dinner. This valuable place will be sold for $6,500 cash, worth $10,000. One of the most renowned properties in the Southeast, it's easy to see why Jake Peavy's Southern Falls Plantation isn't a place to be, but a way to be. The two churches on the Tour will be Bethsaida Baptist Church, c 1858 and Furman Methodist Church, c 1882. I am happy to announce that we currently have 346 members in the Wilcox Historical Society! At the present, deacons are Dec. Valet parking will be provided. Gen. Alexander Travis Hawthorne (1825-1899), Martha Ann Hawthorne (1829-1913), Mary Ann Hawthorne (1833-1926), Maj. Adoniram Judson Hawthorne (1834-1877) my line, Rev. Editors Note: President-Elect Franklin D. Roosevelts visit to Montgomery was on Saturday, January 21, 1933. I forgot to tell you, Im a California boy! In Marengo County, Dumas and her colleagues have thus far found 52 confirmed pieces of Spanish-made metal, such as horseshoe remnants and iron chisels repurposed from the metal bands that strengthened wooden barrels. As they say, Genealogy is not a hobby, it is an obsession. I am an active contributor to FindAGrave memorials and have transcribed and published the Friendship Baptist Church of Pine Apple records for the years 1862-1907. Shortly after moving in around 1900, his mother Mary named it Rosemary, not after her roses or her own name, but for the fragrant herb, since Rosemary means remembrance. Mary also undertook to enlarge the one-story house, adding a second story and large staircase around 1900-1905. Seale, Vice President; Miss AdaSue Hawthorne, Secretary; Miss Bertha Adams, Treasurer and Mrs. E.L. Williams, Federation Secretary. Any assistance you can provide I would greatly appreciate it. On Sunday afternoon, September 19, members of the WHS gathered at the historical Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. REGISTRATION HOURS: Friday, March 26th - 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm Saturday, March 27th - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm Welcome Reception at Wakefield begins at 6:00 pm. Maybe some will surface one day! Board at the seminary and town $8.00 to $9.00 per month. Thomas Threadgill will conduct the services. W.J. The pilot house perched atop the Texas which housed the officer quarters; below the Texas were the passenger deck and quarters; and near the water level, the freight deck with its cargo and crew of deck hands. We worked with Lady Carnarvon to plan a day full of royal experiences on March 24, the day before our Tour in beautiful Pine Apple. The Brittany House Antiques in Oak Hill donated this roll top desk (pictured above, left) to the Miller Law Office. Tommy Ward, jazz crooner from Las Vegas, will be our musical guest at the VIP Welcome Reception on Friday night! I was a guest of Miss Kitty Lamkin. There was certainly a mob of people there, and so many soldiers, national guards, etc. The Institute opened in 1850 with an enrollment of 250 girls, coming from all parts of the state and until 1866 belonged to the board which fostered its erection. We have so many reasons to be thankful. He served as pastor at Bethel ARP Church in Oak Hill for thirty-one years. It was about this time though that Edward, Prince of Wales first met Mrs. Wallis Simpson, which relationship led to his abdication in 1936 and put Elizabeth in direct line of succession to the throne. Land for Sale Near Me; . I have to thank Katie Summerville, our grant writer, for helping us prepare the application. Harvest Arts musicians, Madeline and Hannah, return for the debut of their Christmas Album. Mrs. Oliver Steen, secretary, read minutes of the September meeting. Registration will be at Furman Methodist Church both Friday and Saturday. We visited many old castles and villages. They will be performing their Christmas Concert at the Wilcox Female Institute Friday, December 17th and Saturday, December 18th at 7:00 pm. In 1989 Watson Jones of Camden purchased the 2,000-acre plantation from the Frank Cade estate. The Hawthorne House, also known as the Col. J. R. Hawthorne House, is a historic plantation house located in east Wilcox County in the community of Pi Learn more Horn-Jones-Sadler Law Office at Camden, AL (c. 1846) V. Crawley, Richmond, VA. Family groups included, among others, the Albrittons, Carters, Lees, Palmers, Purifoys, Gulleys, McCondiches, Bursons, Hearsts, Stablers, Powells, and the Simpsons after the Civil War. It is said in the History of Conecuh County by Rev. Thanks in advance for any help. Prizes were also given to the Negroes who had the cleanest homes. First, as a direct result of us sponsoring the Harvest Arts Concerts at the Female Institute, the Alabama State Council on the Arts has awarded us a $40,000 grant to help us Raise the Bell! In 1845, the Gee brothers sold the plantation to a relative, Mark H. Pettway, and the Pettway family name remains prominent in Wilcox County. Cadets from Craig Field in Selma were entertained. Some locations in this table may have been corrected to current GPS standards. Kedar helped establish many different denominational churches throughout Wilcox, Monroe, and Conecuh counties. Mrs. T.M. The county was named after Joseph M. Wilcox, a US Army lieutenant who was killed in Alabama during the Creek War. Hannah and Madeline amazed us all with the premier of their first Christmas album. Marengo County, Alabama . It was decided to have monthly musical programs through the summer. Dr. Jones served on local, state and national medical societies and boards, and was on the Medical Advisory Board of the Selective Service Committee, for which he was issued a commendation from President Eisenhower in 1957. First, we are the largest civic organization in the county with well over 300 members and counting. Mr. Dudley had been a resident of Huntsville since 1953. It features a one-story. Z. Abramson, This is a list of Shadrick Walstons (1775-1853) children that I have. On the evening of November 16, 1936, he had dinner with his mother, Queen Mary, and spoke openly to her, for the first time, of his love for Mrs. Simpson. The object of the club was mutual benefit, intellectual culture and community welfare. Member, Palmer Clarkson Hamilton, a native of Mobile, Alabama died Friday, October 15, 2021. B. Barrett, From a WHS Facebook post shared from Lee Peacock News Highlights from 100-year-old editions of the Wilcox Progressive Era newspaper in Camden, Alabama from January 1922 featuring a current photo of Coast to Coast in Camden (formerly Matthews Hardware), Always enjoy stopping in the former Matthews Hardware. We will fulfill as many of your requests as possible. My father and his ancestors grew up in Grove Hill, Clarke County, Alabama. (To be continued in the WHS Winter newsletter.). Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to find this location with no success. Mr. McCall sold his home and moved to Pine Hill. I served as president for 3 years. Fleet Lane, Bud Selsor, Ed Wetherbee, Charlies Wetherbee and Harry Ratcliff spent Tuesday night on the river so that they might be ready to shove off early Wednesday morning on the trip which should prove to be interesting and scenic. Though the towns have disappeared, a few private homes of this era remain intact the Starr, Ervin, Tait, and Harris homes, and the Shook and Beck (now the Darwin) homes in Camden, if Camden might be, and I feel that it can, be classified as a river town. Recommendations from the architects were that adequate escapes, new rest room facilities new heating system and renovating be done on the building and quoted an approximate cost of $19,000 for the work. She can be reached at 334.324.9353 or m2kyser54@aol.com. Lunch at the Furman School and KayBri from 11:00 am 2:00 pm. What a lovely, rural town, beautiful homes, buildings and countryside, everywhere in the area. The home, circa 1856, was built for the Peter Early Mathews family on roughly 2,000 acres of land planted originally in cotton. Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Watson, Mr. and Mrs. N.O. N.P Smith, and Rev. The home was named Rosemary by Mr. Cades wife, Mary, not for roses or her own name, but for the fragrant herb. At age 7, according to the 1880 US Census, she was living in Foxs Mills, ED 185, Wilcox, AL. Oh no Granny, she said. We are pleased to report the convalescence of Mrs. Dr. Perdue, visiting at Nadawah, who has been seriously ill with typhoid fever. We regret to learn of the serious illness of Mr. W.R. Alford and Dr. W.M. My ancestral roots are in the Blackbelt of Alabama. Browse our gallery of the property or contact Clint Flowers, ALC at 251-387-0787. and Miss Wil-Co-Hi are Pat Chestnut and Jackie Capell. It has one bedroom with two queen beds and has a wheelchair friendly bathroom and shower. With the encouragement of my niece, Elizabeth Grimes, (then Wilcox Area Chamber of Commerce Director), plans for an annual WHS Tour of Homes were renewed in 2017. For more information on naming opportunities for the archives or either phase of the restoration, please contact Lance Britt, WHS President, 256.975.7616. We truly appreciate his hard work and dedication to this important restoration project. In 1870 Dr. Miller opened a school in Camden for men and boys entirely separate from the female college. He believed in God, the invincibility of the Royal Navy, the essential rightness of whatever was British, the unquestioning subordination of thine to duty and a boundless capacity for hard work. It seemed inconceivable to those who had made such sacrifices during the war, that you, as their king refused a lesser sacrifice. The. As if that were not enough, we have been informed by Alabama Magazine that our Tour of Homes has won the 2022 Best of Bama Heritage Tour Award! He had been told the little girl was taken to her family. Coy Alabama Coy is an unincorporated community in Wilcox County. Weather Bureau said this morning. Questions? His visit is sponsored by The Pecan on Broad, The Fox and Hen in Camden, and Bailey Dunagan Properties & Investments. Refreshments will be served and the house will be decorated for the season in preparation for a Victoria Magazine photo shoot the following week. It has been in existence for 123 years and is still in the original location. Miss Olivia McArthur entertained the high school department Friday evening from 7:30 until 11 oclock. A County scholarship by the Federated Clubs of Wilcox County was established in 1937. During the war Miss Sellers was with the USO and did the choreography for the USO show, About Face. Bonner, our efficient circuit clerk, was visiting relatives on Oak Hill last week. As you can see, we are continuing to bring positive public exposure, grant funds, concerts, and tax revenue through our events to Wilcox County. In 1854-55, according to a handbill of the Institute, instruction in other musical instruments besides piano was offered. Following marriage and the rearing of three children, she earned a degree in nursing and served as a nurse in Camden and Pensacola, Florida. I stumbled on it recently driving around and shooting photos in the area. RIVERDALE PLANTATION Dallas County, Alabama . The historic homes will all be illuminated and a beautiful sight! Thanks so much for everything. , SONGS FROM AN OPEN WINDOW CONCERT IN CAMDEN. We only meet one night a week for one- and one-half hours, so I am sure that you can give that much time to your county and to your State. Lunch locations Saturday, March 26th 11:00 am 2:00 pm will be in Furman at KayBri located at 8654 Freedom Farm Road aka County Road 59 in Furman (across from Bethsaida Baptist Church) and at the Furman Community Center located at 8191 County Road 59 in Furman. Speir were hosts last Thursday to a large crowd of Wilcox and Butler County friends at their plantation near Furman. While there I had my lap top out and was looking for available land. It was constructed sometime in the late 1800s. In Alabama in 1860 there were 482 farms of 1,000 acres or more, the largest size category enumerated in the census, and another 1,359 farms of 500-999 acres. These monies coupled with part of the proceeds from the 2022 Tour of Homes and the eventual sale of our property in Sunny South will get us even closer. Linking names of plantations in this County with the names of the large holders on this list should not be a difficult research task, but it is beyond the scope of this transcription. As previously reported, we received a $40,000 grant from the Alabama Council for the Arts this summer. We would visit Gladys Hawthorne and enjoy her stories. Best Dressed Connie Hayes and Will Bruse. There were twenty-four members that first year. All of the cabins have a full kitchen with a gas range, microwave oven, coffee maker and fridge with an ice maker.