What it really meant at that moment was I'm really appreciative to be part of a team like this. There's twofold here, so I'm just You came off of a career that every day was filled with very precise, intense things. Both maneuvers are now featured in the demonstration that Blue Angels perform today. Peloton founder John Foley stepped down from his CEO role on Feb. 8 following a tumultuous period for the connected fitness company. With his signature Glad to be Here mantra, Foley discusses the power behind gratitude as a way of thinking, working, and living. This boat is moving up and down. LINKS TO JOHN FOLEYS SOCIAL MEDIA AND WEBSITE:Website: https://www.johnfoleyinc.com/Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JohnGucciFoleyInstagram: @johnguccifoleyTwitter: @johnguccifoleyINTERVIEW TIMESTAMPS0:00 Intro1:14 How \"Gucci\" Got His Callsign3:05 Upbringing5:22 Attending the Naval Academy6:48 Jet Training in Beeville, TX8:09 Flying the A7 Corsair12:21 Operational Deployments 13:45 Joining the Blue Angels21:35 Opposing Solo22:20 Lead Solo23:38 New Maneuvers26:35 1992 European Tour32:20 Historic Moscow Visit 47:11 Blue Angel Reunions49:28 Blue Angels Foundation51:30 Glad to Be Here Now I feel a lot closer to you. It exists. I said, I don't need to be an airline pilot. John Foley:The human brain will do that naturally. Bottomline is, we fly jets off aircraft carriers. When you get selected for the Blue Angels, you have either a two year tour or a three year tour, and then you know that you will be reassigned to another Navy squadron, and it just won't be the Blue Angels. John Foley:Just brought tears to my eyes. I was expecting it. You give, then you learn, and you grow. That's called reactionary. 168: John Foley is an original. Full of positive energy, he is not only I'm not qualified. Jeff:All right. I was actually told this that we have 65 frames a second. They probably visualize dreams way better than we did, at least I remember as a little kid doing that. As a thought leader on high performance, John created the "Glad To Be Here" Mindset Methodology and the Diamond Performance Framework. No, here's the challenge I have. They said, generally, here's what I thought about the evolution. I do that through meditation in the mornings. John Foley:And it was scary. My big change came from leaving the Navy. 301, taxi you over to the six pack, shut it down. It's the mental side and the emotional side, probably is, you'll have to tell me, but in flying and with the blues, I like to say you needed to connect the heart and the head because it wasn't enough to be just in your head. John Foley:Because you got some off Georgia defensive lineman who got their butt handed to them. But I do remember that distinct moment. All right. Maybe it's a financial challenge, maybe it's a personal challenge, an emotional challenge, and you can feel yourself get tight, right? Peloton CEO John Foley Faces the Skeptics Again: This Time - Forbes John Foley:It makes a big difference. Erik Weihenmayer:And does that lead sometimes to reaching out to a friend or something like that, somebody who you know is hurting or struggling or just needs you? Stop. That's a fact. The inspiration our keynote speaking and consulting provides,supported by experience and a proven process, enables people to closethe performancegap and transform energy into focused action. And that's great. I mean, Erik, on the debrief, we start on the Blue Angels with a feeling statement. They just run by so quickly that I'm seeing a continuum. Is that Jeff:That's maybe what the difference is. John Foley:Sometimes that bar is raised by weather. This website requires certain cookies to work and uses other cookies to I started to emotionally well up a little bit. It's hard to even remember exactly what happened, but in kayaking over 10 or 12 years, now and then, I would feel time slow down, and I could actually focus on my heartbeat. You have to be focused, but if your heart isn't in it, if you're not doing it for what I call a purpose larger than self, then it's not the same. $ 9.99. We actually can only focus on one thing at one time, but because it's like a movie, you have different frames, we're seeing things in frames. Design, CMS, Hosting & Web Development :: ePublishing, This website requires certain cookies to work and uses other cookies to help you have the best experience. I feel, like my kid's 16, and he's a pretty high level athlete now. There's a lot of crowds trying to get in there, the parking. John Foley:No, it's great. Disappointed with the assignment at the time, Foley now reflects that the three years he spent flying the A-7 were critical in his development as a Navy pilot. Having developed a strong bond with his opposing solo, Ken Switzer, for the 1992 season, the two explored implementing new maneuvers including the Section High Alpha Pass and the Solo Section Take-Off. When that canopy came down, I'd be curious to see what you guys use, and you felt the canopy lock. I think, at the end of the day, it's all about other people. Then here's the last thing, and I'll do this for any leader is go, or anybody really, go forward in your day, and I use my calendar, but think about others, not just yourself, and think about, how can I show up in a way that helps somebody else. Okay? I'm thinking about you hanging on to a lift, right? To me, those can be fear based, they can hold you back, as compared to just saying, I'm going to try this, I'm going to be smart about it, but I'm going to try it. Well, I was going to ask, speaking, I mean, you and I are both out there, and Jeff too, at the highest levels. You're on to a really interesting point. John Foley - Worldwide Speakers Group The bottom line is I knew how it worked, I knew how to do it, but I didn't know why it worked now. I could read up on it. Fearless Success: Beyond High Performance. Jeff:You can say I'm grateful for coffee, and then you immediately go like start the coffee maker. Join Erik & Jeff for this high energy chat with John Foley. John Foley:I like to put a nuance in there, Erik, and that's about being scared. March 25 to 26: Barksdale Air Force Base . Maybe it's a deliverable on work. However, if we were to look at success as improvement upon what ever it is you are, whether that be your life, your career, or your business, then there. 01:18:45. Even if it's the transcendent meditative place, but that's the pocket, right? You've really tapped into it, and I think this is good news for everybody, right? So, you must have those clear mentors, direct mentors, but also maybe some accidental mentors. It went well today. Audiences discover how to inspire success, create commitment, align teams toward a common goal and build unprecedented levels of trust. I had trained my own replacement, Thumper, and he was better than I ever was. You get to hear the boss going through the cadence of the maneuvers, where he'll say, up we go and, and you can hear why is that G, go? They say like, "I put in six years, but it was the best six years of my life in certain ways." Blue Angels' John "Gucci" Foley | 99.1 PLR My hope is that those four words will have a deeper and richer meaning to everyone who reads this article. And now my mind, I'm out of that heightened state of awareness, and I actually drop down a state, check out the three dimensional world, and then I can pull myself back in. The very first thing we did was we said, and I was off here, or I was out of parameters on the loop, break cross. Think about it in your own life. I'm not good enough. I was doing the Red Bull thing, how Red Bull created air races. Like instead of things going by so quick and your awareness is pretty small, your awareness increases and time slows down so that you're aware of more capacity at one moment. He drives home his message with dynamic videos of his adrenaline-pumping performance with the Blue Angels. John Foley is a former lead solo pilot of the Blue Angels, a Sloan Fellow at the Stanford School of Business, and an expert in the how of High Performance teams. Sorry. The significance of these events were not lost on the Blue Angels Lead Solo Pilot, John Gucci Foley, who joins this episode of Blue Angel Phantoms to share insights and behind the scenes stories from that now famous 92 European tour, as well as his naval career that spanned 17 years and saw him ascend to the rank of Commander. I think we're getting to the essence again, of what we do and why we do it. Our first conversation of the new year is with a former navy jet pilot. I've heard about you, I've seen some of your stuff, and you surprise me the entire time because of so many different facets of you and who you are. We're going to cross within a wingspan, right? And just take a breath. Fearless Success - John Foley - Blue Angels | Audio Length: 01:18:45 It can mean so many different things depending on who you ask and what day of the week it is. ", - John Foley, Former Lead Solo Pilot, Blue Angels. And not only being with you, but having a chance to connect with your dad at a heart level, that was very powerful. Based on his Blue Angels experience, John truly understands the how of high performing teams and he readily applies his knowledge to his keynotes and his consulting practice. It starts with the "Glad to Be Here" mind-set, which underpins the Diamond Performance Framework. John Foley:Oh, I like what you're saying, Jeff. John Foley was a solo pilot for the Blue Angels aerobatic formation, a Sloan Fellow at the Stanford School of Business, a Gratitude Guru, and an expert on "how to" in high performing teams. Keep going JB. And it's my new mantra. Is that part of the process of being focused? You get better and you move on and you share that information with somebody else. I'm scared all the time. March 18 to 19: Naval Air Station Point Mugu, California. Keep going. And thanks to all of you for listening. Didrik Johnck:The production team behind this podcast includes producer, Didrik Johnck, that's me, sound design, editing, and mixing by Tyler Cottman, marketing and graphic support from Stone Ward, and web support by Jamlo. So, we come from the instructor ranks usually. I'll give you an example. I know it'll happen. To answer your question, from the ground, we've had spectators, they go, "Looks like you guys aren't even moving." So, landing jets on aircraft carrier is truly, probably the most challenging thing a pilot can do. Every nine seconds, so you know when it's fast, when telephone poles go by so quick, it's like you're in a car going a hundred miles an hour looking down at the white dotted line, you've ever done that? I've spoken to all three, both teams and the officials. What's the minuses? Those are the skills that we can learn. John. As I think about though, with the jets, and maybe this is a good metaphor with your climbing, is we don't start as a Blue Angel. With a desire to fly with an F/A-18 Hornet squadron, Foley was selected for jet training at NAS Chase Field in Beeville, Texas. 14K views, 488 likes, 72 loves, 29 comments, 149 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Blue Angels Association: John Foley, #5, USN (Ret.) Or am I just present with you right now going, hey, this is the best, this is the best thing I can do is to be present. That's where you go, okay, what is it going to take to get to where I want to go? You know what I mean? Jeff:Like what? I mean, of course, I want to continue to grow and continue to learn in areas that, like we said earlier, JB, if I can teach someone how to meditate, how to focus now, like I speak to of sports teams all the time. He also explains a process that he believes is the primary key to continuous improvement and exceptional growth. As long as I'm staying within those parameters, and then I'm in parameters, I'm moving around, but you just can't tell. And we have a framework that we teach about that. 605 SOUTH COLLEGE AVENUE, SUITE 101, FORT COLLINS, CO 80524. These are great athletes, right? Erik Weihenmayer:Yeah, so what Analyze me here. You know what the biggest one, Erik? John Foley:Well, I was the second one. I want to go into the entrepreneurial world. A third of my support crew is new every year. I had the privilege this week to hear John Foley, former lead solo pilot for the Blue Angels flight demonstration squadron, as one of the keynote speakers at a technology conference I was attending. Every morning, I wake up, I've trained my brain to wake up happy. There's fundamentals that work like breathwork, like my morning routine, what do I do when I wake up in the morning? And then I just kept trying to improve on. There's a lot of opportunity here. The momentous visit served as a way to ease tensions between the once Cold War rivals. Then you climb into the, we call it a water wagon, but you climb into the vehicle that's going to take you out to the jet. He flew A-4 Skyhawks. By visiting this website, certain cookies have already been set, which you may delete and block. Why am I doing something, and why does it matter? John Foley shares how management can stimulate performance by creating a culture that values expression of gratitude and appreciationfor opportunities, co-workers, and clients. John Foley:Right. And then, I guess maybe reflect on that flow focus that you had then and how now that perhaps has given you the ability to be able to get in that meditative pocket now. Just what we're doing right here. Here's the big difference. I take a break. I think the question JB asked is, do you choose that or does the market, or the job choose it for you? It's like, oh my God, this person's mad at me. Jeff:The difference though is 10,000 hours. As a Blue Angel, John consistently performed in an extreme, high-stakes environment, flying at speeds of more than 500 miles per hour in formations as close as 18 inches apart. I believe, in all our jobs, we got to paint the picture of what the extreme looks like first. I mean, it's just not meant to be. Honestly, JB. John Foley:But you get a chance to voice that. I'm excited about it. Does the gratitude negate that or overtake that in some way? We call it a brief room, but really, it's mental preparation before we go flying. He called me up, and we were actually using some of the video I'm in. The Blue Angel (1959) - IMDb I still remember this to this day as we're talking, I can visualize it. He did a couple tours in Vietnam. I just don't need to do it at the level I used to. Like, I was thinking about the folks that work for Apple or something, and they invent the iPhone, and Steve Jobs is hard as hell on this team. $19.50. How did he get there, what happened after that, what lessons did he learn along the way, and what discoveries he continues to make today? We're constantly in a state of mentoring each other and we're in a constant state of basically up and out. However, after receiving his Wings of Gold in 1984, and in alignment with the needs of the Navy, Foley would initially be assigned to Attack Squadron 22 (VA-22) flying the A-7 Corsair II. To be present with you guys right now. I know Erik, you don't always see this, okay. What was that like for you? I'm not a pilot anymore. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands . I'm okay to move within that three inch circle. As a Blue Angel, John consistently performed in an extreme, high-stakes environment, flying at speeds of more than 500 miles per hour in formations as close as 18 inches apart. Now you can go straight precision, straight clinical once you're in that moment. It's important to know, it's easy to kill yourself. Jeff:I'm just, I'm trying to get my head around that though, because in a way, I think maybe we frame things up to see its either clinical precision or its emotion love, and sort of heart. Then we go into a very scripted, watch the tape, talk about little things. I mean, when you're flying 18 inches from a 22 ton jet at 500 miles per hour, you got to be focused. Jeff:Number one question would be, were you the one who said it's time to step away from the teams, or did they say, we need some new blood in here? I wasn't even thinking about this, but I was kind of flirting with this idea of, being in the military, being a blue angel, I could imagine that your heart gets left behind because you have to be perfect. An 18 year journey that began after a visit to an airshow as a young boy peaked when he was selected to join elite Blue Angels squadron. Welcome to our No Barriers podcast. I'm going to learn this. Now I get scared. So, thank you very, very much for spending some of your time. John Foley - Founder - John Foley Inc | LinkedIn John Foley:Oh, music, just what we're talking about. Plus, he admitted the origin of his call sign "Gucci," helping out on the original "Top Gun," and some of the . Thank you for that. Then you actually back out, you stabilize and you come back in. Don't you wish you would've had that back when you were doing all these crazy maneuvers. John Foley:Yeah. No one has to teach you how to visualize. You get to see us visualizing. Maybe we as humans sort of divide those. That was always my dream as a little boy. You're you're in that focused state. That's the way you find that flow. So, let's do it. Anyway, got talked into doing recitals, and it is so funny because I get so freaking nervous in front of a group of 50 parents, and I'm surrounded by like sixth graders. What it does is, let's take it as a personal situation. Captain Steve Foley, a native of Dolton, Illinois, enlisted in the Navy in 1983 and rose to the enlisted rank of Senior Chief Petty Officer. John Foley draws upon his experience as Lead Solo of the Blue Angels to inspire audiences and show them how to achieve substantially higher levels of performance. There's a lot of emotion in there. Glad To Be Hereis a mindset that enables higher performance. Because we've already each other on the G of go. And there's three tools. There's also a link to shoot me an email with any suggestions for the show, or any ideas you've got at all. Blue Angels 2023 schedule: Complete list of locations "Glad to be here isn't something you simply say. I also ran into, in the speaking world, it was so funny, Erik, I went to an event and they were talking about this power of visualization. Now I'm getting more scared, and the brain's talking to you, right? Boom. Coming out of the new Top Gun; Maverick movie and I'm emotionally moved. So Nick Saban and Alabama brought me in a few years ago. That you were appreciative of or that you enjoyed. John Foley:When I start to hear the G of the go, I'm starting to push back on my stick. Jeff:Okay. Then we give it away. It's not just physical, right? At some point, you've got to snap out of that and snap into pure focus. I feel grateful and a lot of pride for the men and women who are doing that. His charismatic and enthusiastic presentations stimulate audiences emotionally and intellectually with a whole new perspective on their ability to excel. 0 bids. If I'm complacent, that's what I got to worry about. I'm actually seeing things in frames. Using Blue Angel methodology as a model, Foley has developed a unique approach that equips others to make the same journey toward excellence in execution. This is really the ethos of what we're talking about. So, you have to have the ability to slow it down, and I slow it down in my mind. Team Oneness Through their interdependence as a team, members are also challenged and stimulated to achieve higher levels of individual performance. All of a sudden, as the complexity goes up, so do your skills. There's the transcendence of that. I've gotten the chance to ascend Mount Everest, to climb the tallest mountain in every continent, to kayak the Grand Canyon, and I happen to be blind. Right? Jeff:Okay. I come down, I get waved off. CAPT Steven M. Foley > Naval Surface Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet > Biography Blue Angels To Be At Chattanooga Air Show - Chattanoogan.com And then the work goes in and you start to realize that yo won't know unless you go, you won't know unless you tried. There's limiting beliefs and there's liberating beliefs. I think you've had to have lived something at the nuance level to really be able to teach it at the highest levels. In the SEC. You don't start flying 36 inches, 18 inches from another jet. That's a start. He's working with us now. TheGlad To Be Heremindset helps answer these critical questions. That's even worse. An 18 year journey that began after a visit to an airshow as a young boy peaked when he was selected to join elite Blue Angels squadron. Learn from people who have done it, and there's a combination of process and mindset. I'm so glad there's such a similarity here, and that's why I've been looking forward to talking with you is we've never flown a perfect air show. I'm going to actually have a voice command and I'll actually move. They shut me down. 109K views 5 months ago Blue Angels Podcast In what was once thought to be an impossibility, the Blue Angels made history in 1992 by becoming the first United States flight team to fly over. Even if Alabama is a better, let's say team, proven by the earlier performance, the chances of repeating that are so hard at this level. In Good Condition. I didn't say that day, I hope to do that. Erik Weihenmayer:No, I get very excited. Visit our privacy John Foley - Wikipedia $ 30.00. To me, that's operating from a fear based mentality, as compared to, wait a minute. We're talking to each other. All that's inside your brain. You finally get in the airplane and that's totally different. And then I execute on that, Gucci's clear, Thumper's clear, and then guess what happens? Staffordshire Old Foley for sale | eBay It starts with giving. Yes, there's process, there's procedures. John "Gucci" Foley, a U.S. Navy aviator and Blue Angels pilot, John "unpacks" the special mindset and practical framework for achieving High Performance and sustaining a true Culture of Excellence. Glad To Be Hereoffers apurpose greater than self, which galvanizes people and focuses individuals and teams on WHY they do what they do. I'm not waiting to see if the boss's airplane moves or not. It allows you to sort of get You're a flow guy, right? Erik Weihenmayer:Yeah. Jeff:Well, I guess the question I would have is, it's kind of twofold. The best climbers in the world, back when Erik and I climbed Everest, not necessarily could climb Everest. The popular Blue Angels plan to be at Chattanooga's Air Show next Oct. 28-29. So, coming around, and I go down again a third time, bolter again. For me, it's this purpose larger than self. But the point is that I used the canopy coming down. I go Mo, what did you see? The Navy's really good about debriefs, and the LSO, landing signal officer, walked in that day and he goes, it was very clear, he goes, Gucci, Gucci's my call sign. I've been doing trauma for a long time. What I've learned is, it's like two sides of the same coin, operational excellence, process, briefs, debriefs, preparation, focus, trust, and then you add in this glad to be here mindset. I know they are by two points. Subscribe 3K views 2 years ago John Foley is a top leadership keynote speaker and former lead solo pilot of the Blue Angels that delivers keynote experiences to inspire leadership, improve. Because I know that's a big part of your book, talking about how to elevate those belief levels for people doing all kinds of activities and pursuits. Okay. You're just to land the jet, and then, it's a definitely step by step approach and lots of hours go into it. I break it down to four things, glad in this statement, first off means, that's to be grateful, to be appreciative. I'm not. What are we going to do going forward? Former Blue Angels Pilot John Foley to Give Keynote Presentation at First thing I want to acknowledge is, if I have a fear-based belief, what's that causing me, it's usually stuckness. You don't want to take more than a minute. John Foley:Once you finish this, you actually are going to deploy. What does John Foley suck at? I actually think most of my flying was emotional. Thatsthewayukshop. Erik Weihenmayer:I could sense my breath. John Foley-Glad to Be Here - YouTube John Foley:I just said, holy cow, I can do this because it's a value to others. I know you do and facilitate, you do personally, but also facilitate a lot of breathwork and meditation with clients, and you do it yourself. John Foley:Yeah. I have the skills to do this. That's not good. So, they've proven that. Then you start landing jets on aircraft carriers. Not that I was out of parameters that I didn't clear. Happy 2022 everyone. That's nobarrierspodcast.com. To date, TCV has raised more than $15 billion in capital and emerged as a leading provider of growth capital to technology companies. It's like, oh, that would be cool, but geez, that's a pipe dream. I think the challenge tonight is that Georgia got their asses handed to them by Alabama, right? Erik Weihenmayer:That's part, back to the gratitude thing, because you were grateful to be there and growing with this person. Jeff:You're welcome for all that work I've done with you. John Foley I mean, that would be the obvious sort of reach on that. Actually, the glad to be here is a proactive way to not only snap you out of that downward spiral. But you put in like 200 hours, not 10,000 hours. All Rights Reserved. I'm interested in how you can combine those things in that split second. But you add in bad weather on a ship. Erik and I are like old aged salty mountain guys. Because I said the same thing. His message and personal stories, delivered with his trademark enthusiasm and charisma, emphasizes principles of trust, alignment, clarity and commitment, positioning individuals and teams to achieve and sustain higher levels of excellence than they ever dreamed possible. Blue Angels MC (Motorcycle Club) - One Percenter Bikers Like, glad to be here. I've never given a public speech in that regard before. Copyright 2023 Collaborative Agency Group, John Foley | Performance and Leadership Keynote Speaker - Collaborative Agency Group, John Foley | Performance Beyond Blue Angels Keynote - Collaborative Agency Group, JOHN FOLEY| Teamwork Speaker - Collaborative Agency Group. What's the pluses? Erik Weihenmayer:Over time, you talk about focus, right? Blue Angels select first female fighter jet demonstration pilot - CNN It's not a long diatribe, right? It's how you feel. It made my dad's year, not his day. It took me 18 years, and I did. The Glad To Be Here Foundation | Making a better World You're not good enough.". I just want to do something that's personal. Then I try to get outside, I look up and I say, can I get into my body? What if I knew this back when I was on the team? Full stick deflection, roll, ready, hit it, roll. The first four jets fly in a diamond formation. Erik, I've been following so many stages, and JB, I know both of us. My manager, Skyler, was always like, "Dude, the audience would've never known. There must be a lot of things like that, that you've really tried to take with you from being a Blue Angel. As I contemplate the trajectory of, say my climbing career, my speaking career, the things that I do with my family and everything, I contemplated a whole lot more because all those marbles in the jar, there's just fewer of them. Speaker John Foley | Blue Angels Motivational Keynotes He demonstrates how learning to focus prepares individuals for action and increases successful outcomes. Steve Foley Appointed Solairus Executive VP Even like right now, as we're talking, am I thinking about, well, when is this over? Oh, it's simple for me.
John Ritter Cause Of Death, 44 Caliber Black Powder Revolver Made In Italy, How To Play Cutthroat Tennis, Members Mark Mattress Vs Serta, Articles H