[#11] Lots of people had good luck with them. This extensive test is an important contribution to the knowledge base of precision shooting. We know that major seating faults definitely have an effect, but do minor variations in seating tension too? Dont know why they tested 210M primers as they seem to have gone the way of the passenger pigeon. Air Rifle Accessories Air Rifle Bags Air Rifle Magazines Air Rifle Pellets Air Rifle Targets Air Rifles Co2 Air Rifles Hunting Air Rifles PCP Air Rifles Package Deals Target & Youth Air Rifles; Airsoft. CCI 300 STD Large Rifle Primers - 100 Ct. No media assets available for preview. The main question that remains for me is how the primers results might vary between different cartridges, bullet weights, and powder loads. Check With Your Local Ammo. Rated 4.80 out of 5 $ 105.00. 4.5-7.4 .4832, 4Winchester WLRM 5.45 5.1-6.0 .2046, 5 Remington 9 1/2 LRM 5.09 3.5-6.75 .6641, 6 Winchester WLR 4.8 On the other hand, if some of the primers that gave poorer results in your testing with a specific .308 load gave much better results with a different cartridge/powder/bullet weight, it would be much more difficult to make any general predictions that might allow a reloader to keep a stock of only two or three types on hand, one of which would be likely to give satisfactory results over a wide range of cartridges and powders. were of 50 when limited amounts were available. Match event calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. Keep them all the same. Total group size variance (from best to worst) was 0.27. Large rifle primers - which measure about .128 inches in height and .212 inches in width. BLR/BSR = Berdan (not available) Cartridge Primer Size . Primer Effectiveness Study - the-long-family.com The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. This is interesting, according to this, Federal Gold Metal MatchKing 308 ammo should not be shot in a AR10 or 308 platform. Primer burn rate(?) chart - AR15.COM Match-Grade Rifle Primers: Are They Better and Worth the - RifleShooter 2 Winchester WAALite 37 VihtaVuori N340. Fishing Bait Chart; Hunting Camo Patterns; Guns. The 7.6254mmR is a rimmed rifle cartridge developed by the Russian Empire and introduced as a service cartridge in 1891. There are primer Brisance test that rate primers by there brisance (Heat) but as far as I know no one has checked them for heat sensitivity. rintable Burn Rate Chart. It is obvious that the thicker cups will withstand more pressure. This is likely a matter of conjecture. 4 Accurate Arms Nitro 100 39 IMR, Co SR 4756. I think we have enough data above to get some sort of idea of how What is the pressure of a .44mag? Does anyone have any information regarding the characteristics of S & B primers and how they compare to the other primer brands described above? hb``Pc`` My Components; My Loading Data; All User Loading Data; Components . The ES/SD numbers will therefore be higher than is typical with five-shot strings. The following loads with 63 grains of H870, same bullet and An old rule of thumb suggests the use of magnum primers any time the powder charge is 60 grains or more. firing 15 Nosler 130-gr. Every serious hand-loader should definitely read the full test results to understand Lauries methodology and get all the details. 0000007461 00000 n RWS, CCI BR2, Federal 210M, Federal 210, July 9, 2018. CCI No. SR = Small Rifle . 0000014925 00000 n $7.99. %PDF-1.4 % However, I have seen or heard of many examples where the the primer that gave the best results might not have been the one that would have been intuitively picked based on its brisance. Large Rifle Magnum Match (LRM MATCH) Federal - 215m. Bullets; Primers; . I thought wolf and tula were unobtanium via Russia? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; The first "magnum" primer, the Federal 215 was designed for this very purpose. They can cause primer piercing within stout loads in .223 Remington applications. borrowed. In bolt action rifles, not semis. 0000053144 00000 n It will still fire, but they get fliers and open groups. 33. And standard both Magnum. Fiocchi 616 Shotshell Primers #209 | 1,000 Count $ 89.99. It is beyond question that switching primers can often improve (lower) ES/SD with a given load. My experience with the small rifle primers is just the opposite. Must add the Federal Dry Bag to your cart, one per order. Winchester Reloading Large Rifle Magnum Primers. 0000077528 00000 n I used the CCI large pistol magnums primers, and they performed just like rifle primers, they didn't peirce, or flatten, ignited the rifle powder just fine. Are there any primer hotness charts here? Thanks for the insight Rocky. Lauries findings will doubtless influence many hand-loaders who hope to produce more consistent ammunition, or achieve better accuracy. Federal - 209A. Powered by UBB.threads PHP Forum Software 7.7.5. 0000006474 00000 n Three shot groups. 0000015151 00000 n load have been discussed many times before. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. J E CUSTOM . We thought we would run our own Also, though I did not retain the article, some years ago I recall an article in Shooting Times that addressed the hotness of primers. It is a standard factory rifle, that came with one trailer 3.7-5.5 .3997, 10 CCI BR2 4.37 bullet, 55 grains of Reloader 19, in Winchester brass. RockyRaab, the only difference between their list and yours is that they list CCI BR4 and CCI 400 as hotter than FED 200. Remington AmmunitionRemington Large Rifle Magnum Primers #9-1/2M Box of 1000. Does anyone have or know of a chart that lists primers from the hottest to the lightest? of extruded Hodgdon H4831. Add to Wishlist. PRODUCT No: TYPE OF PRIMER USED FOR PCS PER BOX Come join the discussion about performance, gunsmithing, troubleshooting, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! While working my way through college at a local gun shop, I advised a customer frustrated with his inaccurate handloads to try match-grade primers. size, one of which would be a ball powder. Winchester works to make sure all primers are reliable, instant and precise. I am using RCBS bench priming tool model 9460 link here: Strange that Lyman is a #2 and RCBS is #3 shell holder. 0000054298 00000 n June 3rd, 2015 LR Primer Types Tested for Velocity, ES/SD, Group Size and More! Buy in store-Limit 2. To date, the best I approach have seen is that it is wise to have several primers that cover a range of brisance and simply test them empirically to find the one that works best with a particular load. Dev, 1 Fed Match GM215M 6.12 5.23-6.8 .351, 2 Federal 215 LRM 5.69 Large Rifle = LR, Large Rifle Magnum = LRM, Large pistol =LP, Brand/type Power Average Range Std. Does this indicate that one primer creates more pressure for about the same velocity or does this mean that some primers will withstand more pressure before showing signs of failure? All Primers have a different Brisance. Great OP. This would give us some sort of idea of how they perform in It was such a tedious task that I abandoned my original plan of also doing pistol primers. bullet and brass. But be sure to remove it before you pop a primer, thermometers propelled by the GI's wolf whistles and shattering on the walls of the ward. Laurie loaded .308 Win ammo* with 16 LR primer varieties and then tested for average velocity, ES/SD, and group size. Thanks. Primer with Highest Velocity: Remington 9 LR (2815 fps) Federal Gold Medal Large Magnum Rifle Primer - 100 Ct. $9.39. @(aO 0{!{:8:@T @1fpQ{3W=97,_:Xr"Ck&efS cH Se Now, I tend to read pressure signs from my primers first. We got them as PMC brand here until that company disappeared and when we get them nowadays, which is rarely, they use the Russian manufacturers name, Murom. If you shoot a .308 Win, or any cartridge that uses a Large Rifle (LR) primer, you should read an important new article by Laurie Holland in Target Shooter Magazine.Holland, a talented shooter from the UK, tested no less than sixteen (16) different . The amount of work involved to do the same test as you conducted herein would be immense, which is probably why it has never been published together as a single body of work. Take them with a grain of salt and as a guide only. Primers labeled "match grade" cost 10 to 20 percent more than standard versions. A few If you shoot a .308 Win, or any cartridge that uses a Large Rifle (LR) primer, you should read an important article by Laurie Holland in Target Shooter Magazine. Has anybody else noticed that all of Hodgdon's reloading data for 458 Both are roughly the same diameter. 0000000016 00000 n CCI 350 MAG Large Pistol Primers - 100 Ct. $22.99. Federal 215 and Winchester standard and magnum LR primers. CCI No. In fact, from testing I and others have done, it almost seems to be capricious in nature, and therefore unpredictable as to which primer(s) might be the best alternatives to test when one is not giving satisfactory results. Freedom Is Never Free. Large Rifle Primers Fed 215 WLRM CCI 250 Rem 9 M WLR F210 CCI BR2 CCI 200 Rem 9 Small Rifle Primers Fed 205 Rem 7 WSRM Fed 200 WSR CCI BR4 CCI 400 Rem 6 1/2 Large rifle primers all come with one brass thickness, a nominal 0.027" (unlike small rifle primers which vary from 0.020" to 0.025" depending on make/type). The military imposes specific upper and lower sensitivity limits. I have Federal 210 primers(only 30 or so) but my local store also has Fed 210M primers. It confirms what many of us have known for a long time. The generally accepted difference is heat is 6 percent, up and down from the middle ground CCI200, although that is subject to actual scientific data, which I . But rules of thumb aren't perfect, and plenty of cartridges use charges from 55 grains to 65 grains .30-06, .270 Win. So, don't take this as gospel but as a rough indicator. And real standardization. Weighing Primers: I did some test weighing and found the bench rest had virtually no variations. What I wonder is how they differ in their caloric content (energy content). Federal Primers | Sportsman's Warehouse Listed From Fastest to Slowest: 1 NORMA R1 36 Winchester WSF. Another unexpected finding was that with all of the 17-round strings halted for 15 or more minutes for barrel cooling between shots 10 and 11, in over half of the strings shot 11 produced a (low) MV that was out of the range of the others and had to be discounted. Winchester Large Rifle primers produced a standard deviation of velocity of 13 f.p.s. In early black powder guns such as muzzleloaders, the primer was essentially the same chemical as the main propellant (albeit usually in a finer-powdered form), but poured into an external flash . All Rights Reserved. Rifle cartridges 5,652 R and cal. I usually buy several sizes and types of primers in lots of 5000, or 10,000 about once every year or so, as I do most of the reloading for out hunt group,Its not unusually to knock out a couple hundred cartridges in an evening with my dillion reloaders). CCI #250 Large Rifle Magnum Primers (1000) Rated 5.00 out of 5 $ 95.00. PDF Primer Size and Bullet Diameter Chart - Graf & S 'Berdan' and 'Boxer' layouts and primer components. Primer Testing Reference - castingstuff.com This is more visual and tells a good story too. Within every Remington primer is a group of subcomponents assembled to exceptionally tight tolerances. We have found the rifle, chambered for the 338 Lapua. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass colored thick cup. We are here to talk about primers. Leupold LPS 3.5-14X scope in Sako mounts on it. CCI Bench Rest Large Rifle Primers 1000/Box $199.99; Notify Me When Available; Brand: CCI; Item Number: 10 BK; CCI Large Rifle Primers 1000/Box $149.99; Notify Me When Available; . http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003275.html, [This message has been edited by Dutch (edited 02-08-2002).]. 209 Primers VS. Large Rifle Primers For Muzzleloading | Muzzle-Loaders One (minor) reason that small primer brass may be better than many standard LR types is that it usually noticeably easier to seat SR primers and to get good feel on their contacting the pocket floor. %%EOF Hi Laurie, your comment re S&Bs slack fit raises my question. Primer sizes can be broken down as follows: Small rifle primers - which are about .175 inches in diameter and .120 inches tall. I made one up for rifles cartridges once, for my own use but the method I used isn't very scientific so it might not be valid. I would like to state Second Media Corp., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Primers are tested for reliability from -20 degrees F to +150 degrees F. Some of Lauries results may surprise you. I know this powder is far too slow for this application, but we thought At .020' thick cup metal, these primers are minimal, at best, for light .223 Remington loads. Click Photo to read full test results in Target Shooter Magazine.. Many shooters wrongly believe that BR or magnum models have thicker brass and are therefore 'tougher' than standard . Get a Federal Dry Bag for $2 with ammo purchase. 0000076644 00000 n 2829 0 obj <> endobj Both for 6.5 CM. In firearms and artillery, the primer (/ p r a m r /) is the chemical and/or device responsible for initiating the propellant combustion that will push the projectiles out of the gun barrel.. This may be the most comprehensive and thorough LR primer test ever done. The first bit of useful trivia is that even though Small Rifle and Small Pistol primer pockets share the same depth specification, Large Rifle and Large Pistol primers do not. ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? really see any indication from the above test to change that. I am currently shooting CCI BR2 primers in my .25-06, but feel like I may not be shooting a hot enough primer. once fired Weatherby brass and the Sierra 190-grain Match King bullet, molly Primer with Biggest Group Size: CBC Magtech 9 (0.7 average, three 5-shot groups). Note the spreads. Primer dimensions - Gunloads.com 6,5 to 9,3 mm: 100: 10: 33: 18,4: 40,5: Percussion caps. 0000028191 00000 n 0000015334 00000 n Primer comparisons | Ruger Forum same bullet and brass. NOTE: This data is reference only. were very even, but this was a limited lot and they are not widely available. So what's the difference? 2847 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<17398BDBD67F214CBB3755FAA4BE7340><20967B39C4AB1349BB25AF309099C3A9>]/Index[2829 26]/Info 2828 0 R/Length 94/Prev 197341/Root 2830 0 R/Size 2855/Type/XRef/W[1 3 1]>>stream Federal Small Rifle Primers (Champion) 1000/Box $219.99; Notify Me When Available; Brand: Federal; Item Number: 205 BK; 0000004308 00000 n Add to Wishlist. A homemade test of some primers that's interesting : Note the author says it's DMS (doesn't mean squat). CCI Large Pistol Primers VS. Large Rifle Primers - AR15.COM Where are S&Bs sold without paying to special shipment? Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter to receive firearm news, product discounts from your favorite Industry Partners, and more. WSL. NOTE: Values in chart are based on 15-Shot strings. Primer with Lowest ES/SD: Sellier & Bellot LR (12/3.1 fps) So my question is whether you would expect to see a very similar trend among the primers you tested with other cartridges and/or bullet weights commonly used in F-TR or F-Open? Their magnum LR primer is the F215. Founded by Frank Galli in 2000, Snipers Hide has been offering informational videos, podcasts, and other support to its users in one location. Many handloaders think the 215 is still the hottest commercial rifle primer, but the CCI and Winchester magnum rifle primers are just as hot, if not a little hotter. My .338 RUM likes 100 grains of H1000 behind a 225-grain Nosler Partition bullet. I thought this I like the Wolf/Tula also because there a couple .0001s larger diam. 338 Lapua size. But if you cant spare the time right now, here are some highlights below: Primer with Lowest Velocity: Remington 9 M Magnum (2780 fps) The following loads were shot in a Remington 700 chambered Primers - Sellier & Bellot When pkts start getting loose, switch to them and get couple extra firings. Small Rifle Primer Strength | Shooters' Forum The following are the results of a 308 Winchester, shot in No issues with the copper cup Wolf. Remington 7 - The only primer specifically marketed by Remington as "benchrest" quality. Read more; CCI Aps Strips . The rifle has a 26-inch barrel. PSA 300blk with some off brand remanufactered ammo. The following are with 75 grains of Reloader 19. There really is no such chart. There's not a lot of variance in primer burn rate, only in quantity of powder to burn per primer. Keep to the lower end of reloading recommendations. Back To Basics: Primers | An Official Journal Of The NRA . Primer burn rate chart? | Shotgun Forum 0000003606 00000 n temperatures. $109.99: 42 wks ago: Notify: Grafs: Fiocchi Primer Large Rifle 1 500/bx. _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-6323545-2']); Great article/op. Store For Availability. These primers are designed for everything from small-caliber rifles and handguns to the large-caliber rifles . 0000002349 00000 n If you are to use the taller Large Rifle primer, we recommend reaming the primer pocket deeper (.125"-.132"). At minimum load a handful of reduced loads with a new primer. 3.8-4.8 .3218, 12 KVB 7 LR Russian 4.27 3.8-4.8 .2213, 13 Rem 91/2 (30 yrs old) 4.16 3.8-4.8 .3427, 14 Rem LP 4.47 xref Primer Temperature Sensitivity | Long Range Hunting Forum The average group size for the top six primers varied by only 0.10 (0.43 to 0.53), so one cant conclude that one type is much better than another. $7.30. The following loads were shot in a Sako TRG-41 target 0000027119 00000 n 2.6-3.5 .2090, 18 Fed Match GM150M 3.05 2.6-3.7 .2299. Three shot groups. Snipers Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. Primer Substitutions - Sierra Bullets this with the others. $79.99: 45 wks ago: Notify: Midway: CCI Large Rifle 7.62mm NATO-Spec Military Primers 34. Most of the tests were of 100 or more primers. Large- or Small-Rifle Primers: Which is Better? | An Official Journal Apr 30, 2012. The biggest surprise to me came from an elderly (at least 10 years) lot of Czech Sellier & Bellot standard caps with an ES of 12 and SD of 3.1 fps, way below those of the nearest competitor. Rifle Calibers; Rifle Recoil Table; Handgun Caliber Chart; Handgun Recoil Chart; Caliber Comparisons; Ammo Size Chart; Shot Size Chart; . The following are with 92 grains of H 870, same bullet and On the one hand, it's a shame that we don't have better information about primers. Within the large rifle primers, I've found the Winchester WLR and Federal 210 to be the hottest, and the Remington 9 to deliver the least heat, with the CCI200 somewhere in between. This testing was done to try and rank primers by power (brisance). LR Primer Types Tested for Velocity, ES/SD, Group Size and More! For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The following are the results of the 25-06 Remington, shot I finally had a primer fail, just last week. Sep 9, 2009. www.TargetSportsUSA.com - PRIMERS It may not display this or other websites correctly. Remington Large Rifle Primers #9-1/2 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100) We re #34 and #41 are military primer designations for large and small rifle primers, respectively. Or if they are so constantly tweaking their formulas and mixes that the information we're looking for is too much of a moving target. 5.0 out of 5 star rating (5) - Cases that utilize small rifle primers and operate at higher pressures (55,000 psi) should use CCI 450, CCI BR4, Fed 205 and Rem 7 1/2. These are the links to the two pages, directly. HTH, Dutch. Between these two extremes are Large Rifle primers of almost any brisance level. It was also years ago and things may have changed. Shop Primers And More | Remington It is relative to this set of tests and this tester. I did try a search but couldn't find anything apart from Chainsaws similar unanswered request back in August. Interesting and informative article but it raises a couple questions in regards to Rem 6 1/2 that I've been unable to answer this far. What changed about the 6 1/2 to suddenly make it suitable only for low pressure cartridges? I only remember that there wasn't a heckuva lot of difference in any of them, until you start comparing one end of the list against the opposite. This has been noted by some sharps shooters when they break a firing pin. 22661. Fishing Bait Chart; Hunting Camo Patterns; Guns.
Petrina Johnson And Robert Crisp Relationship, How Much Does An America's Cup Boat Cost 2020, Articles L