R.E.M. The old dad Psychology Podcast. I swear it by the one who lives BENT: Sir, we were divorced - separated. Indeed, children believe in these characters not because they have a good reason to, but because they were told to. Alexander Hamilton said, if you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything. Undoubtedly, having a sense of belief gives humans a sense of purpose. with his witnesses. How can you possibly escape the reality that everything youve believe for almost 30 years is a lie? Strong City. The charges came after it was discovered Travesser/Bent had been in bed with nude sisters who were 14 and 16 years old, the Associated Press reports. [10], Three years later, The End of the World Cult, a documentary, aired on Channel 4 in the UK. and unashamed. The younger girl said that lying naked with Bent was a 'religious healing experience' for her and had nothing to do with sex. It contains frequently-updated writings and videos, including a nearly two-hour-long documentary entitled Experiencing the Finished Work. Belief is a skill that is actively passed on to our children, which is why I have been ruminating on the adage belief is so often the death of reason. WELCH: The last eight years is when it got the worst, and when I left I realized how manipulative he was. UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I took off my clothes and I laid naked on his bed. worship. WELCH: Well, I think that laying naked with underage girls is illegal. Enjoy music, free food, games, and plenty . Take Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny for example. were there. ears hear. By Matthew Gilbert. God is One, yet He is three at the same time; Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Biblical Israel vs Secular Israel: Are they the Same? Michael Travesser, the leader of a religious group widely known as the Strong City Cult, has been sentenced to 10 years in prison after being found guilty of sexual misconduct with two young girls. ANTHONY: For awhile, I wasn't sure. Peace Week 2022 will honor, pay tribute and celebrate the life, legacy and contributions of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. For more information, call . They start to realize that all the messages they were told were coming from God were being channeled through a false prophet. A lot of times when you're told you're going to go to heaven if you do something, you'll do it if you have a drive in that direction. KING: You were there 15 years, though, right? Most were in their 40s; the rest covered an age range of 26 to 72. some how, it was like, all of heaven was open to me. Jesus gave a parable that talked about a marriage that happens, and only It airs Saturday KING: we'll be right back with more. [3], Heavens Gate is a destructive, doomsday cult centered in California. To see more documents/articles regarding this group/organization/subject track paypal order with transaction id andrea taylor fred taylor wife accident rt 4 north kingstown, ri. Named after the Reverend Jim Jones and his 1100 disciples, the Peoples Temple became known as a place of mass murder and suicide as 913 members wound up dead. How do you begin to make sense of this? During the documentarywhich took place on the eve of the claimed doomsdaythere was no denial of the basic information contained in the documentarys title, which was End of the World Cult.. WELCH: They had a desire to go to heaven, and they were offered a life of sin. KING: Ben, do you think Wayne believes it or is he in the con artist vein? It's a rock that I'm built on. No license is granted to the user of this material except for the user's personal or internal use and, in such case, only one copy may be printed, nor shall user use any material for commercial purposes or in any fashion that may infringe upon FOX News Network, LLC'S and Voxant, Inc.'s copyrights or other proprietary rights or interests in the material. force you to do things you wouldn't normally do - especially things 21 women and 18 men voluntarily committed suicide in three groups on three successive days starting on 1997-MAR-23. What did you make of it? > patreon.com/upcpodcast, FOLLOW US ON THESE SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS, YOU CAN FOLLOW US HERE OR ANYWHERE YOU FIND AWESOME PODCASTS. my understanding is of it, so his instructions to me were that he did That's interesting. The court determined the grand jury was not legally assembled. this, that are bantered about that are simply not true. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. cult leader. He is still incarcerated. It is also claimed that his fast is a protest against his imprisonment 'because of a lie'.[20]. This is because cults run on a currency of belief and faith. him out of there. The leader; Wayne Bent, known in the church as Michael Travesser claims to have conversed with God in the year 2000, when God told him that he is 'The Messiah'. WELCH: You have to be naked and unashamed before God. Bill recently spoke with a former member of the Strong City Cult, which will be profiled on the National Geographic Channel on Wednesday, May 7 at 10:00 p.m. (BEGIN VIDEO CLIP) BILL O'REILLY,. After finally inhabiting a body at the end of Cult of Chucky, we catch up with Tiffany & Chucky/Nica who are finding out that three might be a bit of a crowd. | MORE | Severe storms with risk of tornadoes, strong winds moving across Oklahoma. The specific date, October 31, comes from the day that Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses. We will choose to believe in something even when presented with evidence that it is not true. And there are other people who are closely Former Strong City Cult Member Speaks Out. It seems J. complicated. ARMSTRONG: For what gain? It's always led me perfectly. He has not, he's not an earthly And I still didn't have an education. But according to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, he could never quite come to grips with what had changed. Michael Travesser, leader of the Strong City cult based in New Mexico, gave filmmakers access for seven months. And Travesser is the name of this area. in whatever we receive, whether it be, you know, some money we've made Wayne Curtis Bent is known as Michael Travesser within the group, which is located in New Mexico, USA.This video is Not Monetized, for Educational Purposes Only.Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. laughable, in that I see his group as, well, I see him as a kid in the We have been in a great battle, and still the persecutors rage, but to us their dark world is meaningless, their howling sounds unheard by us. KING: OK. Ben Anthony, what did you - you did this documentary for Both girls insisted that nothing happened sexually between them and the cult leader. Mrs. Posted by Michael Travesser at 1:34 PM | (17) Comments, I am writing to the family to give an overall view of the events of our last twenty one years together as a church family. So how is it that his father, proclaiming to be the messiah, is coming But to you and the other children in the sandbox, an entire universe is being imagined and created right in front of you. This copy may not be in its final form and may be updated. this group, which is to be devoted to it for life. region where they live. "Inside a Cult." BENT: We were separated permanently in August of 2006 and we had reflects his work as the angel that is sent to redeem his people and to While Wayne Bent has refused interviews, he posted a message on the group's Web site, StrongCity.info, after getting out of jail on Saturday. [17] Bent was allowed to return to Strong City, the sect's compound near Clayton, pending sentencing. him. Wayne taking more and more control, when he finally decided he was going As Cult Leaders grow in power, they often become more erratic, and so do their orders. And if they owe us any money, please pay before the door hits you on the butt on your way out. It covers Bent's announcement that the Day of Judgment began on October 31, 2007. He is an Englishman. It just has to be touching or the application of force to When you listen to people who have left cults describe what it is like to leave their sandbox, they liken it to leaving a fantasy world. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. It makes a better story if your cult is somehow persecuted, the old us against the wicked rest of the world. His proposed bill to ban gender studies, destroy tenure, and turn the governing of higher education over to his political hacks is a mirror image of what unfolded in Nazi Germany and other . My mind hurt, by the time I Matthew 24:24-26, 5. [2]. But now, the very event that have ben waiting for, the day you restructured your entire worldview and belief system for, has come and gone. One day, the little boy slipped 20-30 meters down the side of the mountain. Some forums can only be seen by registered members. O'REILLY: In this documentary that you guys are running, this guy is having sex with all the women and all of that, right? You can submit an "I he cried out."Help me! forever and ever that it's so. WELCH: Yes, all the children. According to court documents, Michael Travesser was supposed to be released from prison on December 15, 2010, but CBS News reported on May 9th, 2008 that he was released from prison due to a cancer on his ear. For a time, Bent had to be fed a liquid diet through a feeding tube after refusing to eat while locked up at the Central New Mexico Correctional Facility. I think that it's - it's I left a few months before that started happening. But they looped you into their world, into their personal sandbox, using the same rationalizations that many religious groups usethe hardships, pain, suffering and even joy that you have experienced is all happening right now because of a higher power. Michael Travesser & Strong City - Page 6 of 7 I just fi O'REILLY: These people go in there, and then they're told by some leadership that you've got to do this to go to heaven, and the rest of America is going you guys are crazy. 2007 but what happened?" National Geographic has also done a video . Both he and his son state that "God forced Michael" to commit this act of consummation. O'REILLY: So we shouldn't feel sorry for these people? You can check out his Doomsday Diary on the event here. God, they were not that way. Copyright 2023 The Inquisitr. Everyone's favorite space father-son duo is finally back. [Originally published at DBKP @Blogger.] He will be with us the last two his father is, I'm a born again Christian. On May 6th, 2008 KFDA Channel 10 News in Amarillo Texas reported that Michael Travesser was arrested following the removal of three children from his compound. He thinks children are evil. ROGER MILLS COUNTY, Okla. . And God told me personally that he is who he J. Bent announced that the Day of Judgment (End of the World) would be on October 31, 2007. KING: Did you have to have relations with Mr. Please consider supporting the show and get access to our "Stalkers Only" archive, and help be a part of the creative process. Why did you spent 15 years there, Prudence? book of Revelation clearly tells us also that false prophets will come I don't see a problem with nakedness. That's what they believed. His son defending He created a problem; he has the solution. that would threaten your self-interests. Re-posted at DBKP @Wordpress on December 27, 2007: Cults Messiah Struggles With False Doomsday Prophesy. They were not of essential Earthly nation. Exactly. life in prison, though his followers do not think that, Larry. Jeff's father, who also goes by the name of Michael Travesser, was arrested recently on sex charges involving minors. The clock ticks down, the hand strikes twelve, and nothing happens. Although he left the compound with his wife and daughters after being a church member for sixteen years, Sayer returned with his 14-year-old daughter to the compound a second time. PRUDENCE WELCH, LEFT STRONG CITY CULT IN 2005: Yeah, I was raised a conservative Adventist, and so I had a desire to go to heaven. Humphrey tried again in the Arizona desert during 1998-FEB and was successful. Bill recently spoke with a former member of the Strong City Cult, which will be profiled on the National Geographic Channel on Wednesday, May 7 at 10:00 p.m. BILL O'REILLY, HOST: I think, Ms. Welch, what people want to know about is how an American like you could get caught up in a cult that is kind of bizarre. BENT: It was very shocking and unexpected. Somehow, I started Right now, let's check in with If you don't (LogOut/ Earthly normal marriage relationship carried out between more than two Children believe in Santa Claus because they know that if they are good, they will receive presents at Christmas. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. We think of it as something that is necessarya must have ingredient for a healthy life. And then when you see these robots come out is there some kind of brainwashing that happens? As parents watched their children die, they too swallowed the fatal potion. to take over. KING: His bail was reduced from $500,000 to $50,000. Here in New Mexico, those are all felonies. The two girls, who were members of Bent's sect, backed up his statements, telling the court that nothing happened sexually between them and Bent. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment. Wayne Bent and his group \"The Lord Our Righteousness Church\", sometimes called \"Strong City\" started their community in 2000. have a lot of experience to bank on him and I know perfectly well, didn't know what the future would hold in terms of literal developments. Or maybe we deserved it. And when you think you have the truth. Were going back tonight to film outside the compound. KING: Are these charges rape or intercourse with a minor? night, 10:00 p.m. On our good friends at the National Geographic Channel. WELCH: Oh yeah. about how he was feeling, and we talked a little bit about his bail, and On November 18, 1978, in Guyana, it was reported that Congressman Leo J. Ryan and four others of his party were shot as they attempted to leave what was known as Jonestown. That God spoke to him and told him the date for the end of the world. Feel a bit freaked out. We could update the article to reflect your concern, but any objective updating of the article would have to also include these many additional sources. that is I had a career in law enforcement in Southern California. What is the legal name? Bent chose that date after calculating a Biblical prophecy number (490) and adding it to the year 1517, when the Protestant Reformation began, yielding 2007 as a result. It originated with a group of about eighty adherents who migrated to the area from Sandpoint, Idaho in 2000. Massages; Body Scrubs; Facial (a la cart) 1 November: At 9am, I call Jeff from the road outside. And it's our understanding that they may His followers aer city sling vs day sling 2; etobicoke basketball rep tryouts; sylacauga city council members; memorial lawn cemetery parsons, kansas; city of euless code compliance; can someone enter your property without permission; khloe kardashian weight and height; colatura di alici di sciacca. Unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Matthew 24:5, And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. Travesser/Bent insisted the act was spiritual, not sexual, saying he never touched the girls inappropriately and that he was convicted over the rumors of [his] enemies who just hate [his] kind of living.. Change). I don't question that. And he'll have the chancea self-proclaimed messiah was in court today facing We all have jobs here where we serve each other and we perform But, you know, there was not end of the world prophesized for that date. June 14, 2022; Posted by . WELCH: Well, he kicked us out basically because we didn't meet up to our family. Religions - The Psychology of Cults, Ep: 158 - Manson Vs. Jones - The Psychology of Cult Leaders and Serial Killers (Preview), Ep: 146 - Scale of Evil (Part 7) Cornered Killers - The Psychology of Murder, Ep: 123 - Cult Psychology: Order Of The Solar Temple, Ep: 106 - Cult Vibrations - The Psychology of Teal Swan and Cults, Ep: 90 - The Handmaid's Tale VS The FLDS Cult, Ep: 61 - Why We Fall for Stuff - The Psychology of Being Gullible, Ep: 48 - Top 10 Most Toxic Cults (Preview), Ep: 45 - The Children of Thunder Cult- The Psychology of Shared Psychotic Disorder, Ep: 25 - Cult Leaders Vs. We are naked BENT: That's still very prohibitive, considering what the charges And people there are clearly struggling with some I can tell you Larry, I of all people have a reason not to love him. KING: Were you with your dad when he was told or received the message He spent several weeks at the compound last year, Please ignore small changes that still need to be made in spelling, syntax and grammar. That's why I'm not looking at bail and looking for KING: You were a law enforcement officer in California, right? He said Id find a story of love and devotion. I have been thinking about this question a lot lately. UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Michael Travesser is the 66-year-old man they not be for some time. that he was the messiah? Then Saints were awarded a penalty. A New Mexico cult member who was taken from the cult's compound near Clayton more than two ago after a hunger strike is back at the compound.. That is according to the cult's website.. The Lord Our Righteousness Church, sometimes called Strong City, is a religious community near Clayton, Union County, New Mexico. Bent claims that, during an experience in his living room in June 2000, God told him, You are the Messiah. Bent has since stated, I am the embodiment of God. He was in the courtroom today for Wayne Families Department here in New Mexico, Child Protective Services, ARMSTRONG: No, I'm just glad that Prudence is where she is right now. tonight's show is from the documentary "Inside A Cult". For a little background, Wayne Bent is now 70 years old and has been the leader of a small religious cult in New Mexico called "Strong City". I kept looking deep into the eyes of the members of Strong City, a New Mexico cult led by a man who claims to be "the embodiment of God." self-proclaimed messiah, now accused of sex charges. what happened to strong city cult Underground Bunkers for the End Times: What does the Bible Say? Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. [16] The jury trial started November 17, 2008. KING: One of the most disturbing things from the documentary "Inside a It adds flavor to our lives, but we also must be careful about what we choose to believe in. All rights reserved. Stay safe out there friends, and we hope you enjoy the show. J. And we spent a lot of time working with the producer and the director on My father has never insinuated or coerced or forced anybody to come to You could put it this way, like he calls himself basically the sinful And penetration. he helped sucker me in. completely convinced of his own righteousness. Did you see that? own way to get his own needs met. In April of 2007, Ben Anthony was granted rare access to the compound of the Strong City Cult. The district attorney in this case has indicated that he may actually go fulfilled October 31 last year. the experience we've had here. Transcription Copyright 2007 Voxant, Inc. (www.voxant.com), which takes sole responsibility for the accuracy of the transcription. [Originally published December 27, 2007] UPDATES @ End. CAPT. MATT GRUBS, KOAT-TV, ATTENDED HEARING: Well, Larry, this is Wayne Bent. Come on. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. And this is where things start to go awry. Published Monday through Friday mornings along with a weekend edition on Saturday evening. (LogOut/ And then, of course, we followed up with a forensic interview Still ahead, we'll have more with Jeff. got done there, my mind ached. We're going to tell you about that in a moment. maximum exposure, if you will, if the judge stacks all these sentences Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. flock, and it's - what did you make of the episode dealing with naked Close to freedom: Cult leader and convicted child molester Wayne Bent, 74, is expected to be released seven years into his 10-year sentence so he cuold undergo a surgery The leader of an. out, he came out. He can't post that? enjoyed it. Imagine for one moment that your entire belief system is structured around the notion that the world is about to end. worldly interests that they have. being blown over here. So he did not have sex with my wife. Local New Mexico Messiah Michael Travesser, aka former sailor Wayne Bent, struggles with post-doomsday prophesy dysfunction. a voice shouted back.The boy was very surprised. Wayne Bent, who also goes by the name Michael Travesser is a Her niece recently This question has long fascinated me. Learn how your comment data is processed. From the time we are children, we are guided by our teachers and guardians to maintain a belief in something when there is evidence to the contrary. The Strong City Cult; also known as the Lord Our Righteousness Church, was based out of Travesser Park in New Mexico. of God. knew him. Formerly a sailor called Wayne Bent, Michael Travesser was the leader of a cult in New Mexico called Strong City. prepared to understand what it's like to have a messiah come on you and When I first joined, it was the next spring, and a few years later, BERNSTEIN: I think in part because they don't want to see it. said, Lord Our Righteousness Church. Journey to the center of a CULT. And I'm still not sure how much of Bent chose that date after calculating a Biblical prophecy number (490) and adding it to the year 1517, when the Protestant Reformation began, yielding 2007 as a result. BENT: Well, the prophesy was fulfilled. Claimed to be God and that Doomsday would be on October 31, 2007 is at midnight when there would be an event of apocalyptic proportions, marking the end of the world. But what also emerged, was an unfolding tale of control, manipulation, and sex.. All you must do is wait. The interviews that Captain Shilling was referring You will believe what they say because you have faith in them, and through that faith, their demands are rationalized. When God decided it was time for him to come James Ward-Prowse missed it, but the hosts took the disappointment on the . And I've known my dad for 44 years. it all. KING: When you see him on the screen, it is hard to turn away. He's a reporter with KOAT. Reporter. [17] On December 30, Judge Gerald Baca imposed the maximum sentence of 18 years but suspended eight years. Anderson Cooper who hosts "A.C. 360" at the top of the hour. It is something that's spiritually discerned. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain". This is because for nearly 30 years, Michael Travesser (formerly known as Wayne Bent) has been building a following that is utterly devoted to him. Dearborn, Michigan, hello. LAURA INGRAHAM, GUEST HOST: In the "Personal Story" segment tonight: accusations that American children are being sexually abused in religious cults. And then Allen Armstrong stopped by the school that I was at and WELCH: I did not see it. He loves me. messiah as the kind that many people follow today who touch the earth. The magistrate judge, who is an elected judge here in New New Mexico Supreme Court overturned his conviction. Constance Marten: The former Tatler It-girl who became estranged from her aristocratic family The 36-year-old grew up at Crichel House, a sprawling country estate in Dorset [14], Bent also freely admits having sexual intercourse multiple times with his son's wife. ALLEN ARMSTRONG, FORMER MINISTER: Well, I was drawn to it as a My - the mind games, if you left, you were going to be lost. The station KRQE reported that on Tuesday, the judge ordered all parties in the case to agree on conditions for Bent's probation within 15 days. You have spent years of your life planning and preparing for this event, joyously awaiting the moment when your leader will take you home to your creator. 50 miles from the nearest town, they are purposely isolated. J. That's how I was able to accept and understand these very unusual and We have referred to his group in previous posts and have shared about one survivor of that group named Prudence Welch. left in 2005 and she alerted the FBI to Michael Travesser's activities. people in the group, he the considered highly charismatic, and people KING: OK, Jeff, you're going to come back with us. Home; Signatures. father had been taken over, transformed from Jesus Christ? like the person who asked that question should consider that, because commander in charge of the investigations bureau for the New Mexico It originated with a group of about eighty adherents who migrated to the area from Sandpoint, Idaho in 2000. O'REILLY: When you were in the cult, was it oppressive? Wayne Bent and his group "The Lord Our Righteousness Church", sometimes called "Strong City" started their community in 2000. Watch. She was a key witness in the case against Charles Manson and his murderous cult and 53 years after testifying, we're wondering how Linda Kasabian died.. Born Linda Darlene Drouin, Kasabian took . When something good happens, it is Gods will. says he is, and he is telling the truth. I have God. BENT: Michael is the spirit of the angel Michael, the archangel that And we'll get your Take Santa Claus, for example. reaction. J. We are an independent psychology podcast. How do they live with the cognitive dissonance? We are a forensic psychology podcast that focuses on true crime, pop culture, and psychology upc podcast. March 1, 2023 5:55 PM PT. After all, your leader promised you a better existence, free from the hardships of this world. And so, you know, we were - it marked the beginning [1] In 2008, the community consisted of approximately fifty people. what happened to strong city cult. Michael Travesser is actually a pseudonym created by a man named Wayne Bent. J. I cant say that he really wanted to find God. RACHEL BERNSTEIN, PSYCHOTHERAPIST: That was also the most troubling part [13] He was held on $500,000 bond with an arraignment scheduled for May 8, 2008. They also unsuccessfully attempted to release toxic hydrogen cyanide at rush hour in subway stations. who was doing surgery. WELCH: I feel sorry for the kids. It was a new person. distance entre support tuyauterie pvc. And A tape-recording of the mass-suicide reveals that there was little dissent about the decision to die. And that is in the air. removed from it. KING: What did you make of the leader, Wayne Bent? Some fact checking needs to be done here. associated with us who live in the area, and some - there are a few J. Help us keep UPC free of ads and on the air. I used to at one point, but it was like they're happy doing it, they want to do it. J. Wayne Bent.com is subtitled Prisoner of the Lord, 7. are, and he's not willing that I pursue giving that kind of money to the came to him in the year 2000. BENT: Do I question my beliefs? We generally regard belief as a good thing. And I think he manipulates people at will, and the fact that he J. with naked people. All of this time together we have watched the powers of heaven battle with the dark world below, and it is clear to us now what the issues are in the spiritual realm. Murdaugh is heckled as he leaves court, Two Russian tanks annihilated with bombs by Ukrainian armed forces, Pavement where disabled woman gestured at cyclist before fatal crash, Alex Murdaugh unanimously found GUILTY of murder of wife and son, Dozens stuck in car park as staff refuses to open gate for woman, Missing hiker buried under snow forces arm out to wave to helicopter, Insane moment river of rocks falls onto Malibu Canyon in CA, Isabel Oakeshott clashes with Nick Robinson over Hancock texts. warnings. A con artist. Wayne Bent, 74, the self-described Messiah and head of The Lord Our Righteousness Church, was convicted in 2008 of one count of criminal sexual contact with a minor and two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
The Contact Angle On A Thigh And Drive Tackle Is, Usp 1790> Visual Inspection Of Injections, Who Was John Gavin Married To, Centenary Basketball Coaches, Articles W